What's new

Indian Political Corner | General Election 2014, All Updates & Discussions.

There is a Modi wave and there are new voters added by BJP in his name, but i rarely doubt, that Modi is reason behind this victory. In MP & Chattisgarh, strong base have been created from Chauhan & Raman singh. In Rajasthan there is Modi factor, which will play positively for BJP.
Delhi will be hing assembly for sure. BJP is in a good shape cos of organisational strength and Modi factor in unifying different factions within BJP helps

Rajasthan and Delhi victory will certainly be due to Modi. In MP Shivraj SIngh Chauhan has followed the development agenda and standards set by Modi in his state. To add to the charm, Modi is immensely popular in MP too. Its only in Chhattisgarh, that Modi will have less impact.

So if you really look at it, it is the Modi wave that is assisting voting patters in all these 4 states.

Congress set to lose 2014, predicts party veteran Mani Shankar Aiyar

After the Congress was emphatically rejected by voters in state elections, party veteran Mani Shankar Aiyar has predicted that the Congress will lose the general election and should use its time in the opposition to reinvent itself.

"Who can be even half-way realistic and expect the Congress to return to power?" Mr Aiyar told Reuters.

Mr Aiyar's remarks follow a disastrous showing for the Congress in elections held over the last month in three big states and the capital, Delhi.

"A break from governance would be a welcome break that could be used to refit the party as the nation's natural party of governance in the 21st century," the Rajya Sabha member wrote in a newspaper column today.

"The current and prospective electoral reverses for the Congress are thus Rahul's golden opportunity," he said, referring to the young scion of the Nehru-Gandhi dynasty and potential candidate for prime minister.

Mr Aiyar's opinion was personal and not the party's view, said other Congress leaders.

The BJP has won Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh, and is the largest party in Delhi. The Congress' only bright spot is its victory in Mizoram.

The BJP has been boosted by the energetic campaigning of its candidate for prime minister, Narendra Modi, but also by voter fatigue with Congress after years of spectacular corruption scandals and stubborn inflation.

Mr Aiyar said the growing strength of regional parties would make it hard for the BJP to form a stable coalition and predicted there would be new general elections by 2016.

"I am deeply convinced that, whoever forms the government in 2014, we will be faced with another general election by 2015 or 2016, at the latest," he said.
Congress set to lose 2014, predicts party veteran Mani Shankar Aiyar | NDTV.com

Shocking... for the first time a Congressi spoke the inevitable truth! :eek:

BbIlLeeCQAAgKeC.png:large

Rajasthan and Delhi victory will certainly be due to Modi. In MP Shivraj SIngh Chauhan has followed the development agenda and standards set by Modi in his state. To add to the charm, Modi is immensely popular in MP too. Its only in Chhattisgarh, that Modi will have less impact.

So if you really look at it, it is the Modi wave that is assisting voting patters in all these 4 states.

First of all BJP should stop using those jargons like Modi Wave and NaMo kind of stuff...Do not take me wrong...I would like to see Modi also wins the election too.....But i am onserving a disturbing trend from BJP cadre which i feel it has impacted and it may impact BJP...

1- Whenever i interact with BJP cadre in different districts of Odisha, there are some very good people there....And on top of that there are very good number of young Muslim people who hold youth general Secretary post in BJP. They are really talented. But as BJP is not strong in Odisha...they do not get a visibility.....I am expecting that those kind of talenetd minority people who are again from RSS back ground should be promoted irrespective of the state they belong to.
BJP should really come out of its impression that it is a hindi heart land party....

2- Somehow BJP Cadre are taken up the assumption that the road to Delhi is automatic in 2014 and if they chant Modi modi 104 times a day then they will win...This is the same approch that Congress followed by making Gandhi Familly above the party..and it is price of it...Apprciate person like Modi, it is ok....but do not create a cult kind of enviroment....This will have some -ve impact later on...

3- There are lot of criminal and lazy cadre of BJP who are not absolutely working on ground....They are simply using chanting Namo thing and expecting that people will automatically vote for BJP....BJP has to remeber that Modi is not Indiara Gandhi of Congress. Modi is a force multiplier as it happened in all 4 states....If there is no force on thr ground by the local leadeship then abslolutely BJP will suffer more than we can even think of..

4- Odisha is a state, where there is a very good perception of BJP....But the sad story is that the leadership is lazy and do no work in ground...They simply chant Modi modi through out the day....In a state like Odisha, if even many people do not know about Modi...As long as a new clean and neutral leadership is not created....BJP will be in big problem....And same case for other state too...

5- I am not sure if BJP can forsee the danger that can be broung out by AAP. If BJP is thinking that AAP is all about Delhi, then are wrong....They are able to create a good amount impact in many urnan, semi urban and rural areas....In this electronic age, perception matters....Modi is fairing well as of now because he has a relative age in perception among Indian people wrt Rahul Gandhi....But if this comparison is turned out with Modi vs AK , trust be BJP will be in big problem.....

6- BJP should really start working on the ground with its badre from now onwards.....Delhi is a classic case where they lost the opportunity to a 1 year old new comer party....So they should make sure that they are enough prepared to counter AAP in all the Hindi heartland itself in Loksabha election.

First of all BJP should stop using those jargons like Modi Wave and NaMo kind of stuff...Do not take me wrong...I would like to see Modi also wins the election too.....But i am onserving a disturbing trend from BJP cadre which i feel it has impacted and it may impact BJP...

Its not the but the congress controlled media which is using jargon's like Modi Wave. In fact it is designed to downgrade the impact Modi has on the Indian psyche by dismissing it as a wave. Its more of a Modi tusnami.

1- Whenever i interact with BJP cadre in different districts of Odisha, there are some very good people there....And on top of that there are very good number of young Muslim people who hold youth general Secretary post in BJP. They are really talented. But as BJP is not strong in Odisha...they do not get a visibility.....I am expecting that those kind of talenetd minority people who are again from RSS back ground should be promoted irrespective of the state they belong to.
BJP should really come out of its impression that it is a hindi heart land party....

Trying to win muslim vote is a waste of time for BJP. Even in best case scenario only 10% of muslims is ever going to vote of BJP. It is the majority Hindus who was been brain washed by the 66 years of congress rule who needs to be wooed. For that a softening of pro Hindu stand is necessary to accommodate their psudo secular beliefs installed in them by the congress.

2- Somehow BJP Cadre are taken up the assumption that the road to Delhi is automatic in 2014 and if they chant Modi modi 104 times a day then they will win...This is the same approch that Congress followed by making Gandhi Familly above the party..and it is price of it...Apprciate person like Modi, it is ok....but do not create a cult kind of enviroment....This will have some -ve impact later on...

If you are so concerned as to how BJP cadre should behave or talk, why don't you join them and lead by example ? much better than armchair generals providing advice to swayam sevaks. In any case people respond to a image of a strong leader and Indian society thrives on cult images, be it Amitabh Bacchan, sachin tendulkar or Modi.

3- There are lot of criminal and lazy cadre of BJP who are not absolutely working on ground....They are simply using chanting Namo thing and expecting that people will automatically vote for BJP....BJP has to remeber that Modi is not Indiara Gandhi of Congress. Modi is a force multiplier as it happened in all 4 states....If there is no force on thr ground by the local leadeship then abslolutely BJP will suffer more than we can even think of..

Your comment seem to suggest that the BJP cadre's are some paid employees who are lazing around :lol:

I do not even know how to respond to this childish comment.

4- Odisha is a state, where there is a very good perception of BJP....But the sad story is that the leadership is lazy and do no work in ground...They simply chant Modi modi through out the day....In a state like Odisha, if even many people do not know about Modi...As long as a new clean and neutral leadership is not created....BJP will be in big problem....And same case for other state too...

BJP is weak in Odisha. That is not going to change by 2014. At least 5 to 10 years are required to set up social network. Either that, or a super emotive issue like Ram Mandir or Jan Lokpal. For now odisha is stuck with BJD.

5- I am not sure if BJP can forsee the danger that can be broung out by AAP. If BJP is thinking that AAP is all about Delhi, then are wrong....They are able to create a good amount impact in many urnan, semi urban and rural areas....In this electronic age, perception matters....Modi is fairing well as of now because he has a relative age in perception among Indian people wrt Rahul Gandhi....But if this comparison is turned out with Modi vs AK , trust be BJP will be in big problem.....

LOL. AAP IS all about Delhi. Nowhere else can they make an impact. The moment they land in Mumbai, the SS and MNS will beat the shit out of them. In kolkata the CPI will pretty much murder all their jholiwalas. India is not Delhi. As of today and for the immediate future, there is no one in India who can match the stature of NaMo. The only other person among all other parties is Shivraj Singh Chauhan. Jayalalitha being tamil will never be accepted in North India.

6- BJP should really start working on the ground with its badre from now onwards.....Delhi is a classic case where they lost the opportunity to a 1 year old new comer party....So they should make sure that they are enough prepared to counter AAP in all the Hindi heartland itself in Loksabha election.

If wishes were horses .........do not expect any miracles in the next 3 months. For that NaMo has to head BJP for the next 5 to 10 years. Only then can BJP grass root leadership flourish. Advani and Sushma has pretty much squandered away and killed whatever was there in the grassroot.

Its not the but the congress controlled media which is using jargon's like Modi Wave. In fact it is designed to downgrade the impact Modi has on the Indian psyche by dismissing it as a wave. Its more of a Modi tusnami.

Trying to win muslim vote is a waste of time for BJP. Even in best case scenario only 10% of muslims is ever going to vote of BJP. It is the majority Hindus who was been brain washed by the 66 years of congress rule who needs to be wooed. For that a softening of pro Hindu stand is necessary to accommodate their psudo secular beliefs installed in them by the congress.

If you are so concerned as to how BJP cadre should behave or talk, why don't you join them and lead by example ? much better than armchair generals providing advice to swayam sevaks. In any case people respond to a image of a strong leader and Indian society thrives on cult images, be it Amitabh Bacchan, sachin tendulkar or Modi.

Your comment seem to suggest that the BJP cadre's are some paid employees who are lazing around :lol:

I do not even know how to respond to this childish comment.

BJP is weak in Odisha. That is not going to change by 2014. At least 5 to 10 years are required to set up social network. Either that, or a super emotive issue like Ram Mandir or Jan Lokpal. For now odisha is stuck with BJD.

LOL. AAP IS all about Delhi. Nowhere else can they make an impact. The moment they land in Mumbai, the SS and MNS will beat the shit out of them. In kolkata the CPI will pretty much murder all their jholiwalas. India is not Delhi. As of today and for the immediate future, there is no one in India who can match the stature of NaMo. The only other person among all other parties is Shivraj Singh Chauhan. Jayalalitha being tamil will never be accepted in North India.

If wishes were horses .........do not expect any miracles in the next 3 months. For that NaMo has to head BJP for the next 5 to 10 years. Only then can BJP grass root leadership flourish. Advani and Sushma has pretty much squandered away and killed whatever was there in the grassroot.

Aditya....I do not want to sound rude to you....as i understand that the objective of both us to see BJP win...This enough for me to reply you in a different way..I wish whatever you say comes true and BJP wins in 2014...

Aditya....I do not want to sound rude to you....as i understand that the objective of both us to see BJP win...This enough for me to reply you in a different way..I wish whatever you say comes true and BJP wins in 2014...

I am sorry for sounding obnoxious but the reality is that BJP suffered from a vacuum of leadership before NaMo stepped in. Advani's undying ambition built the BJP but would also have caused its demise had it not for NaMo steamrolling into being BJP head.

NaMo became head only a few months back and its too late for him to do anything much. He will just have to cobble together whatever is practically possible and then hope to form the govt. Once in govt. he can delegate Amit Shah to Odisha and Andhra and Maharashtra to rebuild grassroot level network.

I understand your axiety about BJP's lack of base in quite a few states, but as they say Rome was not built in a day.

BTW I am a Modi supporter, not BJP.

Vote on account in January, polls may be in March-April

NEW DELHI: The fractious 15th Lok Sabha, marked by UPA-opposition clashes over cases of corruption in high places like 2G,Commonwealth Games and Coalgate, will meet for the last time in mid or end-January to pass a vote on account, clearing the way for Lok Sabhaelections by late March or early April.

Sources said the government is planning to take the vote on account next month, with January 13-17 being seen as a likely window. Polls can be held by late March or early April. The 2004 and 2009, elections were held between mid-April and mid-May.

The move to be done with the vote on account and set the stage for the next Lok Sabha polls comes in the backdrop of an increasingly dysfunctional Parliament and feverish lobbying for a no-trust motion submitted by six Congress MPs.

A sense of uncertainty and the perception that Congress's rout in four north Indian states has left the embattled Manmohan Singhgovernment further enfeebled, encouraging the Seemandhra MPs to defy the party authority.

The assembly poll results rattled Congress and a review meeting on Monday saw functionaries point to high inflation — seen to be the Centre's failing — as an important reason for the debacle. Congress chief Sonia Gandhi is learnt to have agreed with the assessment

The no-confidence motion could not be taken up by Lok Sabha SpeakerMeira Kumar due to lack of order in the House, but it continued to be intensely discussed with political parties weighing the merits of supporting the motion.

While Trinamool Congress leader Mamata Banerjee ruled out supporting the no-confidence move, Biju Janata Dal's 14 MPs will support the motion when the admission of the motion is considered.

As of now, the motion does not have the backing of 50 MPs that are required to rise in support when the Speaker seeks the opinion of the House and Congress managers are going all out to ensure that the move fizzles out.

While the motion has been submitted by Congress MPs, TDP leader N Chandrababu Naidu contacted Opposition leaders like Odisha chief minister Naveen Patnaik and West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee.

YSR Congress leader Jaganmohan Reddy also met several leaders, including Banerjee, to seek support for the no-trust motion submitted by Congress MPs from the non-Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh.

Banerjee told Reddy she did not see merit in a no-confidence motion as Congress would survive the vote with the support of outside allies like SP and BSP leaders Mulayam Singh Yadav andMayawati who have always bailed out the UPA.

Reddy did manage to get Yadav to submit an adjournment motion on Telangana on Tuesday but most leaders do not believe the SP chief will back a no-trust, particularly after the Muzaffarnagar riots.

Given reports of intense polarization on religious lines in western UP and BJP leader Narendra Modi's forays into Uttar Pradesh, the SP boss is unlikely to attract the charge that he weakened "secular forces" at the Centre.

But though the government is not considering curtailing the winter session, it seems clear that not much business is likely to be transacted going by current trends. The final session of the current Lok Sabha is likely to be convened ahead of the usual mid-February date so that elections can be called any time thereafter.

The 2009 Lok Sabha elections were held from April 16 to May 13 and the results were declared on May 16. In 2004, the results were declared on May 13 after elections were held from April 20 to May 10.

Government floor managers have so far been unable to persuade the Congress MPs who submitted the motion for a no-trust vote to withdraw their initiative. The MPs, driven by constituency concerns, have also been encouraged by the uncertainty and flux following the assembly polls.

Vote on account in January, polls may be in March-April - The Times of India

Will Congress name PM choice? Buzz around Nilekani as a wild card

NEW DELHI: The corridors of the capital are abuzz with speculation as to who might be Congress' candidate for Prime Minister — if a candidate should indeed be named before the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, and if Rahul Gandhi decides he doesn't wish to position himself for the job.

Meanings are being read in Sonia Gandhi's statement on Sunday, after the electoral debacle, that a candidate would be named at an "opportune time". Although several senior leaders in the party have refused to attach any significance whatsoever to the statement and have pointed to its very open-ended and non-specific nature, that hasn't stopped New Delhi's rumour mills from whirring.

There are the usual names from within — finance minister P Chidambaram, defence minister A K Antony, and home minister Sushil Kumar Shinde.

Then, there is a wildcard entry — UDAI chairman and the man behind Aadhaar: Nandan Nilekani.

In fact, some of the recent attacks on Aadhaar are being traced back to the ( i will like to put "perceived" here) emergence of Nilekani as a dark horse.

When TOI called him, Nilekani's immediate and only reaction was, "Complete rubbish. This must be a figment of someone's over-active imagination."

Among the things that are said to be going in his favour:

* Technocrat with no political base of his own;

* Clean image;

* Known to business;

* Good interpersonal skills;

* Was one of the founding members of Infosys, who is not only wealthy in his own right, but has also given away a lot of it;

* Now has four-and-a-half years experience in government: as head of the Unique Identification project has had to work across states, parties and ministries to implement one of the world's most ambitious and politically difficult public projects;

* Will be a good face to project globally;

* Is said to have a good equation with Sonia and especially Rahul;

* At 58, is relatively young;

* As an alumnus of IIT, a symbol of modern-day meritocracy;

* His wife, Rohini, has impeccable credentials in the non-profit sector, having been a prime driver of a number of NGOs and a contributor to a few others;

* Can possibly draw an army of young volunteers like the Aam Aadmi Party has.

That he is not averse to the rough and tumble of politics is obvious from his as-yet-unannounced decision to contest the Lok Sabha elections from South Bangalore, for which he already has a large campaign team on the ground and running.

Obviously, the opposition from within Congress will be intense. There are leaders with many, many more years of experience in politics and government, and very strong credentials in running ministries. Chidambaram, in particular, has held some of the most critical portfolios at the Centre, from home to finance. He has a great reputation for efficiency and energy, as a reformer, and for his grasp of complex issues. Among the others, Antony is known to have the absolute trust of the Gandhis, while Shinde, a Dalit, speaks good Hindi, has the experience of running a coalition government in Maharashtra and has an impeccable track record as a loyalist.

Nilekani, by comparison, is still a novice. Also, Manmohan Singh's performance is seen to have robbed technocrats of some of their sheen, at least in the political arena.

If Nilekani's candidature gains currency, Aadhaar is likely to come under even greater attack even as officials in the Unique Identification Authority of India point to the fact that 510 million cards have already been issued and the target of 600 million will be met in the next few months. They see it as testimony to the execution skills of Nilekani and his ability to navigate the system, often in the face of open as well as veiled opposition from within.

Discounting the speculation around Nilekani, a senior Congress leader said, "First and foremost, this assumes that a name will be announced, and that Rahul isn't interested. Just two days ago, he vowed to work at transforming the Congress organisation. Does that sound like he wants to step aside?"

But there is a section within the Congress that believes Congress should make its choice known. Said another senior party leader, "BJP and AAP have benefited from the fact that voters have a face — Modi and Kejriwal. Of course, Kejriwal is the founder of his party, so there's no question of not projecting him. But yes, naming a PM candidate can have a downside too, especially in a party like Congress."

Will Congress name PM choice? Buzz around Nilekani as a wild card - The Times of India

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure if the rumors are to be believed, but it seems the recent debacle in state elections, Congress is forced to re-think its strategy of PM candidature for Rahul Gandhi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom