What's new

Indian onions selling for Rs 45 in Bangaldesh :D

Spring Onion

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Indian onions selling for Rs 45 in Bangaldesh

MALDA: Onion prices may be bringing tears to the eye, but across the border in Bangaldesh, Indian-grown onion is selling almost 40% cheaper.

On Friday, when a kilo of onion cost Rs 70-80 in Malda, or all other Indian markets, it was selling for taka 63-64 (Rs 45-47) in Rajsahi, Chapai Nawabgunj, Baliadanga and Dhaka Mirpur in Bangladesh. Almost 2,500 tonnes of onion are being exported daily through the five export centres of the state at a time when the Centre is mulling importing onion to keep prices in check.

Bengal has five border export centres—Mahadipur in Malda, Petrapol and Gojadanga in North 24-Parganas, Hili in South Dinajpur and Changrabandha in Cooch Behar. While hosiery goods and plastic containers are imported from Bangladesh, a huge amount of fruits, onion, pulses, cement and stone chips is exported.

When onion prices started soaring across the country, the government hiked the export tariff for onion in late August by $200 per metric tonne, taking it $900. As a result, onion did get costlier in Bangladesh but not as high as this side of the border. In spite of this, and the recent political unrest in Bangladesh, 500-600 tonnes of onion are still exported every day through Mahadipur alone.

When asked about this, exporters pointed to central and state policies. Uzzwal Saha, joint secretary of Exporters' Coordination Committee, said, "The price or export of onion is determined by the National Agricultural Co-operative Marketing Federation of India Ltd (Nafed). They had settled the export tariff and amount long ago, which is why onions have to be exported following the contract. While Bangladesh is getting onions cheaper, we are facing losses. We have demanded that the Nafed decide the rates according to market price. Otherwise our country will suffer and exporters will also lose interest."

"Unlike previous years, the government has not imposed any restriction on export despite the price hike. So, onion is getting ever costlier," said Samir Ghosh of Federation of Bengal Exporters' Association, claiming that the Centre plans to increase the export tariff to $1200 in November, which might put a cap on the export or increase the price of onion in Bangladesh as well.

Jayanta Kundu, secretary of Malda Merchant Chamber of Commerce, said traders are not responsible for the rise of onion price. "We are not endorsing black marketing. The government should immediately stop export of onions to Bangladesh to control the price in our market," he said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-Rs-45-in-Bangaldesh/articleshow/24718442.cms

The whole article doesn't make sense. Why would I sell something 40% cheaper elsewhere, when I am getting higher price for my product near me.

Stop all the exports the prices would come down easily.... But cant understand why would some one export when he is getting higher price in domestic market.... Confusing....

The whole article doesn't make sense. Why would I sell something 40% cheaper elsewhere, when I am getting higher price for my product near me.

Exported already :D blackmarket?

BTW when you can import cheaper onions and sell at Rs100 who needs Indian ones

Exported already :D blackmarket?

BTW when you can import cheaper onions and sell at Rs100 who needs Indian ones

I doubt. It doesn't make business sense. Black markets exist because one cannot sell products in regular markets for whatever reason. Given that elections are near and Onions make and destroy Governments in India, GOI would be more than willing to welcome anyone who sells Onions in India

Elections are near, hence expect a lot of mud slinging from either side. Media is one such medium for mud slinging.

I doubt. It doesn't make business sense. Black markets exist because one cannot sell products in regular markets for whatever reason. Given that elections are near and Onions make and destroy Governments in India, GOI would be more than willing to welcome anyone who sells Onions in India

Elections are near, hence expect a lot of mud slinging from either side. Media is one such medium for mud slinging.

Yup Govt would want but opposition will love to export at throwaway price to drag down govt.

makes perfect sense

Mazrat ke saath arz kerta hoon @ Jana Ji /Spring onion or whatever fancy new name your planning to come up with ...its realli hillarious that we evil yaindoo vegtarian banyas will sell the most saught after vegetable for almost 50% cheap and that too in export:confused:

lolzzz if the rate was 40 in bangladesh onions from there would have floded indian market ...lolzzz today itself i bought onions for 85Rs per Kg and ya for some reason Spring onions are onli 65Rs per kg;)........ i wonder why :D

It's not a price rise due to scarcity of onions. It is an artificially inflated rise. Middle men are sitting on tonnes of onions. If Indians don't buy onions for a week. The prices will come down drastically as onion is a perishable item.

It's not a price rise due to scarcity of onions. It is an artificially inflated rise. Middle men are sitting on tonnes of onions. If Indians don't buy onions for a week. The prices will come down drastically as onion is a perishable item.

no sir ji something is different this time in navratras most hindu north indians dont even touch onion and garlick and the onion were 65 Rs before navratras and are Rs 85 now ...dont you think this time the price rise of onions has streched for too long ...I wonder why

This the first time I am hearing such price of onions in BD.yesterday it was 95tk for per kg in Dhaka.

Proof that we care more for our BD brothers than ourselves!! Long live higher than mountain deeper than ocean Indo-BD friendship!! :)

This is called giving DALALI in garb of Price Subsidization.

GREAT WORK RAW :tup::tup::tup:

Proof that we care more for our BD brothers than ourselves!! Long live higher than mountain deeper than ocean Indo-BD friendship!! :)
Mountain=pile of shit
Ocean=ocean of crap:D

Back
Top Bottom