What's new

Indian Nuclear submarine - ATV launch on independence day

anathema

Reaction score
Finally --> Indigenous nuclear submarine set for Independence Day launch

June 02, 2009, (Sawf News) - India is set to launch its first indigenously built nuclear powered submarine on August 15, Independence Day.

The submarine - being built at Hazira in Gujarat under the secretive 20-year-old ATV project - will slide into the sea but remain docked for some time as its nuclear reactors are fired up and all systems are checked.

The launch of the submarine was earlier scheduled for Republic Day, January 26, 2009, but delayed because of unspecified problems that have now been overcome.

"Things are in the final stage now in the ATV (advanced technology vessel) project. There were bottlenecks earlier...they are over now," Defense Minister A K Antony said on February 11, during Aero India-2009.

The ATV project was reportedly initiated in 1974 and became a serious endeavor in 1985 after Mazagaon docks began construction of two German HDW 209 class submarines in 1984.

The 6,000 ton ATV probably melds a Russian design with German and French technology, the latter acquired for the license manufacture of Scorpene submarines to be built at Mazagaon Docks in Mumbai.

The submarine design appears to have undergone iterations reflecting India’s progress in miniaturizing the nuclear reactors to power it, access to French submarine building technology and growing maturity of Indian missiles.

The ATV will reportedly be equipped with 12 launch tubes of 2.4m diameter each. Initially, each missile tube will likely accommodate 3 0.74m diameter K-15 Saagrika missile. Later the tubes could accommodate the 2.0m diameter Agni IIISL (The submarine launched version of the Agni V / Agni 3+) missiles with MIRV capability.

The Navy hopes to induct the first ATV by 2012, an overly ambitious target.

Meanwhile, Russian media reports suggest that K-152 Nerpa nuclear attack submarine, earmarked for 10-year lease to India, will be delivered by the end of this year.

“Following new official state sea trials in the summer, the sub will be put in service with the Navy in the fall of this year," the Russian naval source said.

He added that the Nerpa would be leased to the Indian Navy shortly after the commissioning, and said India had paid over $500 million for a 10-year lease of the 12,000-ton nuclear attack submarine.

Please note that is yet to be reported in news channels, but i wont be surprised since Mr Thakur has know to report accurately most of the times. Atleast the news is starting to pour in.

Only thing that surprises me in the above article is , i never knew India had MIRV capability. I do know that it was going to be tested on agni but was not sure...

Anyways good news. :enjoy::cheers::cheers:

Lets keep the fingers crossed and hope thing happen as mentioned, as it would be great day (ya i know 15th Aug is already a great day for Indian) but the kind of Sona pe sugha thing :lol:

Am saying so as GOI say a lot of thing but very few actually happen on time, which GOI needs to counter.

Then also way to go. :yahoo::cheers:

Back
Top Bottom