What's new

Indian Navy's P-8I Aircraft Dropping Bombs From Its Internal Weapon Bay

Ankit_Pujari

New Recruit

Reaction score
interesting video
In addition to activity monitoring, these Indian Navy aircrafts are also capable of "influencing" them, with its payload of on-board firepower.

The report, below, shows the Boeing-built P-8I 'Neptune' maritime surveillance aircraft performing weapons release tests using simulated weapons, prior to the delivery of the first aircraft to India, earlier this year.

Interestingly, in the video, along with the widely reported Harpoon missiles [1:47], it is also shown dropping Precision Guided bombs [0:55]. This particular aspect of the test didn't seem to get any reportage. The video is quite unique for the fact that, as claimed, it was the first time that Boeing carried out weapons testing from an aircraft originally built for civilian applications, the 737.

Its induction into the Navy also marked an important first for the military, since it became the first aircraft that India would operate, which would have a dedicated internal weapon bay [2:27 & 2:56], unless one counts how the IAF used its Douglas Dakotas in 1947 to pound the invading pakistanis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXjBByMq5Vw
Navy's P-8I 'Neptune' Aircraft Dropping Bombs From Its Internal Weapon Bay [Video] - AA Me, IN

get different defense orgs to compete against each other for funding and monies. Link it to the quality of the product and also the time lines. If you pay for incompetence, you are rewarding incompetence.

currently its a chicken and egg situation. No Indian private defence co has got knowhow to build anything. One cannot expect them to build anything significant suddenly. On other hand till govt relies on govt owned org, private cos will never get funding.

currently its a chicken and egg situation. No Indian private defence co has got knowhow to build anything. One cannot expect them to build anything significant suddenly. On other hand till govt relies on govt owned org, private cos will never get funding.

Involve private orgs in current defense productions (I wikied and see that some private orgs do participate in India) Open competitions for newer technologies (check DARPA in google). Technology and know-how is a work in progress forever. You cannot wait for a certain "tech" to be mastered before you begin. You need to begin and you will go through the process.

we should learn from US cos how to do things within specified time and under budget.

under budget!!!

they have a budget of 700 billion dollars..................more than 20 years of our budget!!

Involve private orgs in current defense productions (I wikied and see that some private orgs do participate in India) Open competitions for newer technologies (check DARPA in google). Technology and know-how is a work in progress forever. You cannot wait for a certain "tech" to be mastered before you begin. You need to begin and you will go through the process.

totally right..............govt organizations are totally useless and lazy

they don't need to have any know how..............they will just hire engineers who do know!!

and believe me they will deliver way faster and better products than drdo with all its supposed 'know-how'
but they need insentives for that and a share of DRDO research labs to begin with so i propose about 40-45% disinvestment of DRDO AND HAL.............win-win situation for all

how practical is it ? it can drop guided bombs only when air/naval superiority is achieved which is not possible practically . I mean they can easily brought down by Anti Aircraft weaponry .

This current govt is Useless & Lazy
The current Def Minister had a good 10 years to bring in Private sector & Increase FDI in Defense Production but no that is to much work for that Lazy fool

F-35 will take shape without any problems. Yes, it might be expensive. But that's because we are driving technology.
I think the Kaveri engine is the example you are looking for

Since no private companies in India can make weapons for you the best way to create an environment of competition is to divide DRDO in two separate organizations and have them compete against each other....much like how the Soviets had different design bureaus.

It's not just that but there is an inbuilt resistance to pvt player participation in defence within the Indian govt. look at the arty fiasco- many Indian pvt entities were denied the use of military ranges to test their products. Operating in this environment how can one expect pvt players to deliver?

I think there is enough of of call though within the emerging Indian pvt defence industery to open up the sector to them with some of India's biggest names behind them such as Ratan TATA and Ambani (who are investing VAST amounts into this arena) for things to change over time. The recent changes to FDI in defence indicate this.

Back
Top Bottom