What's new

Indian Navy for heavy torpedoes for new ASW ships

thestringshredder

Reaction score
Country
India
SEAHAKE-TORPEDO.jpg

The Indian Navy is in the market for new heavyweight torpedoes with “state-of-the-art technology, of calibre 534.4mm and length not exceeding 7,800mm, to be fired from existing torpedo tubes of ships”. The Navy has been looking to acquire new torpedoes for years, and the current acquisition will be in line with that.

The Navy is already on the verge of signing a deal for 98 Finmeccanica WASS Blackshark heavyweight torpedoes for its Scorpene submarines, a deal that appears now to be delayed by the entire Finmeccanica controversy that’s already taken a toll on the AgustaWestland VVIP copter contract progress. The Indian Navy needs the new heavyweight torpedoes for its P28 class of anti-submarine warfare corvettes, the first of which is to be delivered to the Navy by the end of this year. The DRDO’s own heavyweight torpedo Varunastra is undergoing trials at this time and is likely to be ready for integration on platforms only by 2016.

Link - Indian Navy for heavy torpedoes for new ASW ships | idrw.org

DRDO's heavyweight torpedo is undergoing trials and it will be operational after 2016 ? Are u FFing kidding me ? DRDO should be disbanded pronto !

DRDO's heavyweight torpedo is undergoing trials and it will be operational after 2016 ? Are u FFing kidding me ? DRDO should be disbanded pronto !

DRDO has already developed light torpedos so why r u so surprised...:what:

Besides its not like DRDO has restricted IN from buying heavy torpedos from abroad untill they come up with something.

IN is all set to procure some heavy torpedos from international market. DRDO will come into play only after 2016.

DRDO has already developed light torpedos so why r u so surprised...:what:

Besides its not like DRDO has restricted IN from buying heavy torpedos from abroad untill they come up with something.

IN is all set to procure some heavy torpedos from international market. DRDO will come into play only after 2016.

i don't think u got my point. What I am sAYING IS, DRDO's torpedo is already under trials and it is not expected to go operational only after 3 years ???

i don't think u got my point. What I am sAYING IS, DRDO's torpedo is already under trials and it is not expected to go operational only after 3 years ???

New products does take time in trials as they are not childs play. The products are tested in a variety of conditions like in cold water at a this depth against this target etc.

Varunastra will be ready for integration in 2016, that's nearly 3 years

I hope DRDO develops something like Shkval

Back
Top Bottom