What's new

Indian economy has great potential in the long run: Chinese economist

Chanakya's_Chant

Reaction score
Country
India
Indian economy has great potential in the long run: Chinese economist

The Indian economy is going through a sluggish period but has great potential for the future, a Chinese economist has said, adding a word of caution that the growth will not be in the same bracket as that of the last decade.
Professor Wen Fude, economist and vice-president of the

He does not subscribe to the doomsday picture painted by some international agencies and western scholars about the currently faltering Indian economy’s future outlook.

"When the Indian economy was growing fast in the early and mid 2000s, many western economists said by 2015 India would overtake China and compete with the US. Now, they are not giving India any chance," Wen told HT at his office in the university's Institute of South Asian Studies.

"India's economic growth may find it difficult to gain new momentum in the short term but still has credible potential in the long term," Wen wrote in the Institute’s journal.

Wen has detailed five factors that will help India grow in the future: abundant natural resources like minerals, huge labour resources, a robust science and technology sector, huge market for consumer and capital goods and a good economic system.

"For example, India has been feeding its huge population for years. That has been a great contribution (to the world of emerging economies)," Wen said.

Talking about India’s market for capital goods, Wen said there is huge demand in developing infrastructure in the railways, energy, power and manufacturing sectors.

"India requires a lot of equipment to change from the 'mill technology' concept to becoming a manufacturing power house," he said.

Keeping these factors in mind, Wen forecasts that in the next 10 to 15 years India's economy will neither grow too fast nor too slow.

"India is likely to grow at a rate between 4.5% and 6%. I don't think it is possible for India's growth rate to fall below that. At the same time, India will not be able to grow like it did a few years earlier at 8% and 9%," Wen said.

One major stumbling block for India is the country’s dependence on the service sector, Wen feels.

"It will be difficult for the country to change this economic structure overnight especially because the manufacturing sector is weak," he said.

Wen also said that India might not have a strong central government in the next decade.

"It is a political problem (and) not necessarily with the system (of democracy). Half the people in India do not seem to like (Narendra) Modi and half do not like Rahul Gandhi," Wen said about the two high-profile Indian politicians.

Source:- Indian economy has great potential in the long run: Chinese economist - Hindustan Times

#Hindi-Chini Bhai-Bhai :D

What are the production costs in any field in India compared to the rest of the neighbourhood(including China)?

Every country has 'potential', but few turn it into reality.

Does India have the potential to convert her 'potential' into reality?

The problem of India is not the poverty, corruption or the oppressive caste system. But the fact that India is not a natural country but 33 countries array along the British build rail line.

Does India have the potential to convert her 'potential' into reality?[/quote]

Yes. The latest numbers suggest that:

India's economic growth picked up at 4.8 per cent during the September quarter, government data showed on Friday. During the previous quarter GDP or gross domestic product expanded by 4.4 per cent, which was the lowest in four years.

Indias economy grew faster at 4.8% in Q2 - NDTVProfit.com

Does India have the potential to convert her 'potential' into reality?

Yes. The latest numbers suggest that:

India's economic growth picked up at 4.8 per cent during the September quarter, government data showed on Friday. During the previous quarter GDP or gross domestic product expanded by 4.4 per cent, which was the lowest in four years.

Indias economy grew faster at 4.8% in Q2 - NDTVProfit.com[/quote]

Indeed, India did realize her 'potential' to grow at 4.8% in one quarter.

So, you are saying that India's expected potential was even lower than 4.8%?

No I'm sayinh YOU have no potential. If you knew how to read and weren't fundamentally illiterate, that would be the conclusion you'd have come to.[/quote]

We all know the MO of the Chinese operators here.

Their trolling efforts have redoubled after the U.S. have put them in their place

So, you are saying that India's expected potential was even lower than 4.8%?

No I'm sayinh YOU have no potential. If you knew how to read and weren't fundamentally illiterate, that would be the conclusion you'd have come to.[/quote]

Ah, let's go over the lines again, shall we?

I asked, "does India have the potential to convert her 'potential' into reality?"

You replied, "no true."

Sounds like to me that you deny that India has the potential to convert her 'potential' into reality.

Or did you mean something else?

:coffee:

No I'm sayinh YOU have no potential. If you knew how to read and weren't fundamentally illiterate, that would be the conclusion you'd have come to.

I asked, "does India have the potential to convert her 'potential' into reality?"

You replied, "no true."

Sounds like to me that you deny that India has the potential to convert her 'potential' into reality.

:coffee:[/quote]

Let's go over the lines shall we
I asked, "do YOU have the potential to convert your 'potential' into reality?"

You replied, "no true."

Sounds like to me that at the end of the day you are honest about your true capabilities :big_boss:.

You replied, "no true."

:coffee:

You replied, "no true."

Sounds like to me that at the end of the day you are honest about your true capabilities :big_boss:.[/quote]

Would you mind re-reading our little exchange to refresh your memory? Where did I say 'no true'?

Your lack of reading comprehension and short-term memory was shocking at first, but then I recalled this:

============================================================
India chickens out of international students assessment programme again - Times Of India

India chickens out of international students assessment programme again
MUMBAI: After an embarrassing show in 2009, India has backed out of the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) slated for 2015. The programme is a global evaluation process by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) secretariat that gauges where schoolchildren stand alongside their peers from other countries.
This academic Olympics measures the performance of 15 year olds in reading, math and science. Indians were put to test for the first time in 2009. On the global stage, they stood second last among 73 countries, only beating Kyrgyzstan. India had also stayed away from the evaluation round in 2012.

This time around, sources said India shied away from the assessment as government officials felt our children were not prepared for such a test.

"Unfortunately, India hasn't signed up for PISA 2015, and didn't participate in the PISA 2012 round either," said Juliet Evans, who handles communication and administration for the PISA Secretariat. "India didn't sign up for the PISA 2012 assessment because when countries were asked to sign up for that assessment, India had only signed up for the PISA 2009 assessment, which it carried out a year later," she said.

Unlike India, several other countries like Costa Rica, Malaysia, Georgia and the UAE who had carried out the PISA evaluation in 2010 have signed up for the upcoming assessment. In the last assessment, Tamil Nadu and Himachal Pradeshwere put through the PISA evaluation, but they performed miserably. The idea was that the entire country would participate in the next round of assessment but now that plan has also been dropped.

The assessment is based on two-hour tests that half a million students are put through. China's Shanghai province, which participated in PISA for the first time like the two Indian states, scored the highest in reading. It also topped the charts in math and science. "More than one-quarter of Shanghai's 15-year-olds demonstrated advanced mathematical thinking skills to solve complex problems, compared to an OECD average of just 3%," noted the analysis.

In math, considered India's strong point, the states finished second and third last, beating only Kyrgyzstan; the English test threw up the same result. Girls were better than boys and science results were the worst, where Himachal stood last. TN was slightly better and finished third from bottom. The average 15-year old Indian is over 200 points behind the global topper.

Experts estimate that an Indian class VIII student is at the same level as a South Korean class III student in math abilities or a class II student from Shanghai when it comes to reading skills.

What is PISA?

PISA, or the Programme for International Student Assessment, evaluates education systems in 70 countries by testing the academic abilities of 15-year-old students in each country. Skills and knowledge that students have acquired at the end of compulsory education in reading, math, problem solving and scientific literacy are tested.

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:
:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You replied, "no true."

Sounds like to me that at the end of the day you are honest about your true capabilities :big_boss:.

Would you mind re-reading our little exchange to refresh your memory? Where did I say 'no true'?

Your lack of reading comprehension and short-term memory was shocking at first, but then I recalled this:

India chickens out of international students assessment programme again - Times Of India

MUMBAI: After an embarrassing show in 2009, India has backed out of the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) slated for 2015. The programme is a global evaluation process by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) secretariat that gauges where schoolchildren stand alongside their peers from other countries.
This academic Olympics measures the performance of 15 year olds in reading, math and science. Indians were put to test for the first time in 2009. On the global stage, they stood second last among 73 countries, only beating Kyrgyzstan. India had also stayed away from the evaluation round in 2012.

This time around, sources said India shied away from the assessment as government officials felt our children were not prepared for such a test.

"Unfortunately, India hasn't signed up for PISA 2015, and didn't participate in the PISA 2012 round either," said Juliet Evans, who handles communication and administration for the PISA Secretariat. "India didn't sign up for the PISA 2012 assessment because when countries were asked to sign up for that assessment, India had only signed up for the PISA 2009 assessment, which it carried out a year later," she said.

Unlike India, several other countries like Costa Rica, Malaysia, Georgia and the UAE who had carried out the PISA evaluation in 2010 have signed up for the upcoming assessment. In the last assessment, Tamil Nadu and Himachal Pradeshwere put through the PISA evaluation, but they performed miserably. The idea was that the entire country would participate in the next round of assessment but now that plan has also been dropped.

The assessment is based on two-hour tests that half a million students are put through. China's Shanghai province, which participated in PISA for the first time like the two Indian states, scored the highest in reading. It also topped the charts in math and science. "More than one-quarter of Shanghai's 15-year-olds demonstrated advanced mathematical thinking skills to solve complex problems, compared to an OECD average of just 3%," noted the analysis.

In math, considered India's strong point, the states finished second and third last, beating only Kyrgyzstan; the English test threw up the same result. Girls were better than boys and science results

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:
:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:[/quote]

But you need to know how to read before you comment on the article...:raise:

In math, considered India's strong point, the states finished second and third last, beating only Kyrgyzstan; the English test threw up the same result. Girls were better than boys and science results

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

But you need to know how to read before you comment on the article...:raise:[/quote]

Take your own advice before replying to me.

Now go sulk in the corner. :coffee:

:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back
Top Bottom