What's new

India wins crucial hearing on Kishenganga Hydro-electric Project

FarazUSA

Reaction score
New Delhi: The International Court of Arbitration has accepted India's position on the 3600-crore Kishenganga Hydro-electric Project (KHEP) in north Kashmir at The Hague today.

The arbitration court took the decision after Pakistan had filed an appeal that India was diverting the flow of the river and violating Indus Water Treaty between the two countries.

Reacting to the court's decision, the Ministry of External Affairs said, "The award of the Court of Arbitration at the Hague today reaffirms the validity of India's position regarding the Kishenganga Hydro-electric project (KHEP) by allowing diversion of water from the KHEP as envisaged by India. It highlights once again that India is adhering to all the provisions of the Indus Waters Treaty."

In September last year, the arbitration court had asked India to stop permanent works on the 330 megawatt Kishenganga project on River Neelum in response to Pakistan's appeal for 'interim measures' against the dam.

India wins crucial hearing on Kishenganga Hydro-electric Project at international court | NDTV.com

I never had any hope for us to win anyways. They should have taken a clue from the Atlantique incident when they ended up going to ICJ which in fact had no jurisdiction in the matter.

:sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper:

i need more Dams on rivers :D

MapofJammuandKashmirshowinglocation.jpg

I want one big DAM at leh on Indus river of electric capacity of 5000MW or more.

It would be a run of the river project so no violation of indus water treaty.

It would have two advantages:

1. China would not attack such DAM because it would have flooded Pakistan.

2. Neither Pakistan would attack same dam in course of war because it don't want to be flooded.

Now from this verdict, legality is confirmed :P

Back
Top Bottom