What's new

India welcome to explore oil and gas in Vietnam: Vietnam President

WHITESMOKE

Reaction score
HANOI: Unfazed by Chinese threats, Vietnam President Truong Tan Sang today said India and other foreign nations were welcome to explore hydrocarbons in areas within his country's jurisdiction, as he sought to deepen strategic and defence ties with New Delhi.

Ahead of his maiden state visit to India from Tuesday, President Sang said the objectives of his trip are to continue to strengthen friendship between the two peoples, reinforce, deepen and add greater substance to bilateral strategic partnership.

"This visit takes place in the context that the time- honoured traditional friendship and strategic partnership between Vietnam and India are witnessing strong growth in all areas for the sake of peace, stability, cooperation and development," Sang told PTI in an interview.

"We note with satisfaction the fine developments of the strategic partnership between the two countries in all areas, including security - defence," he said.

The high-level visit, which will be closely followed by Beijing, comes at a time when both countries are having their own difficulties with China.

Commenting on the controversy over oil exploration by India in two Vietnamese oil blocks in the South China Sea with Chinese authorities raising objections claiming that it was their area, Sang defended Hanoi's deal with India.

"It is a fact that all cooperation projects between Vietnam and other partners including ONGC in the field of oil and gas are located on the continental shelf, within the exclusive economic zone and under the sovereign rights and jurisdiction of Vietnam, entirely in conformity with international laws, especially the 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea," he said.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Its clear that Vietnam and India has decided what they will do.. and I dont think it will make any difference if China again issues statements of being unhappy. One another interesting factor is Vietnam's open offer for other countries too for exploring oil in sea. Lets see who else will join.

Nice.. it will help the energy hungry nation to get oil and gas from neighbourhood.

About the threats... well Who Cares! :what:

Yes its vital for us to secure energy sources where ever we find them. Its good we are looking in each corner for oil and gas.

If China has no reservations with its relationship with Pakistan, which is against India, then it should not have an reservations regarding Indo-Vietnam relations

For us energy needs are far more important than relations with a super power.

I am not sure till how long Vietnam will sustain the pressure from China to allow India to explore oil in South China sea? I really doubt it...

Sri Lanka also invited to all other nations for oil exploration but our problem is India now.

I am not sure till how long Vietnam will sustain the pressure from China to allow India to explore oil in South China sea? I really doubt it...
Only oil comany like BP withdraw from VN due to China warning to cut off their market in CHina, we never change our mind , we will face the war if it happen , bro :)

Back
Top Bottom