What's new

India to order 42 more HAL-produced Su-30MKIs

I go with the comments of Airchief rather than the the DRDO chief.

Country's defense preparedness is of utmost priority. Pride over indigenous creations only come second.

it is not about pride... we are already spending 10 billion for MRCA , then again spending billions for Gripen , i dont think so..:no:

it is not about pride... we are already spending 10 billion for MRCA , then again spending billions for Gripen , i dont think so..:no:

Its not spending i am concerned about. Its the depleting squadron strength.. Its obvious that the LCA's order is limited and the production is around 10 fighters per year starting from ... well after the FOC...

Then the long delays of Mk2 designing, trials, and the same old procedures we gonna see.

The scenario's of threat have changed so should priorities.

230-2+40+42= 310..Thats a very large no. for a heavy fighter..
Please share the source, because article show the number to be 260. Please show us some official report.

India to order 42 more HAL-produced Su-30MKIs

DATE:12/01/11
SOURCE:Flight International

Hindustan Aeronautics expects the Indian air force to order an additional 42 locally produced Sukhoi Su-30MKIs.

The possible order would come on top of the 180 Su-30MKIs HAL is already producing for the air force, says company chairman Ashok Nayak.

About 105 aircraft from the 180-strong order have been delivered so far, Nayak says. In addition, in mid-2010, India ordered 40 Su-30MKIs as flyaways from Russia's Sukhoi.

getAsset.aspx

© AirSpace/APG

Although the in-service aircraft receives less publicity than the air force's medium multi-role combat aircraft competition or indigenously produced Tejas light combat aircraft, the Su-30MKI is the service's backbone and has represented India in several international exercises.
HAL rolled out its first completed Su-30MKI in November 2004.

Boeing 747 and Airbus A380 Aircraft News from Flightglobal

a.) 180 Su-30MKI under production with HAL
b.) Additional 40 Su-30MKI (Ordered in mid-2010 as flyaways from Russia's Sukhoi.)
c.) Further order of 42 locally produced Su-30MKI by HAL (As per above news)

a+b+c = 180+40+42 = 262 Su-30MKI

What about the very first batch of Sukhoi that were made in Russia??

As per point

a.) Its talking about made in India Su 30MKIs
b.) Is reporting about the deal announced in 2010
c.) Is talking about a future deal

But what about Made in Russia Su-30K and Su 30MKI??????

So the number goes to 270+42 ie 312 Su-30 MKI! :partay: In 2009 IAF ordered 40 MKI, in 2010 another 42 and in 2011 it will be another 42.

MKI is a superb fighter will be mainstay of IAF for this decade. They are upgrading it with latest radar, EW. All the best. In 2009 HAL made 28 MKI and during Aero India 2009 it was announced that IAF have 116 MKI so the total number should be nearly 168! :undecided:

excellent! we need large number if MKIs to fill gap between PLAAF and IAF strength.

Thanx, How many where there in the first batch ??/

Deal I (30 Nov 1996) : The IAF signed a US $1462 million (equivalent to Rs 5122 crore) deal with Sukhoi on 30 November 1996 for the delivery of 40 Su-30 aircraft and the associated equipment from the Irkutsk plant in phased manner, spread out over four years - from 1997 to 2000. The contract provided for setting up of a Service Support Centre in India which was to undertake extended second line repair tasks of aircraft, avionics, aero-engines and aggregates to avoid the need to despatch them to the manufacturer.

Under this original contract, Su-30s would be delivered to the IAF in four batches:

* The first batch (Su-30MK-I) of 8 aircraft would be delivered in 1997. These were 'standard' Su-30s (a development of the Su-27UB) and contained 100% (probably) Russian components and are primarily sir-superiority aircraft only. These fighters were first delivered to India at Lohegaon AFS in March 1997. They were inducted into the IAF on 11 June 1997 by the then Prime Minister, Inder Kumar Gujral. These planes are currently in service with IAF with serial nos SB001 to SB008 in the No. 24 Hawks squadron based at Lohegaon AFS.

* The second batch (Su-30MK-IIs) of another 8 aircraft would be delivered in 1998 and would be fitted with Sextant Avionique's avionics from France, liquid crystal multi-function displays (MFDs), a new flight data recorder, a dual ring laser gyro INS (inertial navigation system) with embedded GPS (Global Positioning Satellite), EW (Electronic Warfare) equipment procured from Israel's IAI (Israeli Aircraft Industries), a new electro-optical targeting system and a RWR (Radar Warning Receiver).

* The third batch (Su-30MK-IIIs) of 12 aircraft would be delivered in 1999 and would feature canard foreplanes

* The fourth and final batch (Su-30MKIs) of 12 aircraft would be delivered in 2000 and would add the AL-31FP turbofans.

The first 32 aircraft already delivered would then be upgraded to the Su-30MKI variant, in a phased manner. This plan was thought of because Su-30MKI would be the world's first of its kind, and not all technologies were completely developed in other Russian designs like the Su-35 and Su-37.
The Su-30MKI Info Page - Vayu Sena
The first deal

this is a great news, India is a vast country with multiple threats and a heavy fighter like the MKI will keep everyone at bay. Hope the F-18 or the Eurofighter gets selected for the MRCA deal as well which will add a new dimension of strength to the Air Force. The medium and light fighter requirements must be fulfilled by the LCA and the MCA. The LCA is perfectly capable of plugging the gap left by the MIG21's.

Su-30 = 310 = 15-18 Squads
MRCA = 126 = 6 Squads
LCA= 123= 6 squads
FGFA = 250= 12-14 squads
======================
Total= 809 = ~40 Squads

Thats the IAF structure in 2030.( if HAL/ADA sticks to its normal way of working )..After 2030 AMCA will start replacing LCA..

Su-30 = 310 = 15-18 Squads
MRCA = 126 = 6 Squads
LCA= 123= 6 squads
FGFA = 250= 12-14 squads
======================
Total= 809 = ~40 Squads

Thats the IAF structure in 2030.( if HAL/ADA sticks to its normal way of working )..After 2030 AMCA will start replacing LCA..

Your number is correct but this is too early to even talk about the number by 2020. Who thought IAF will go for so many aircrafts five years back ie in 2005? I think the number will increase gradually five years from now by 2015.

Your number is correct but this is too early to even talk about the number by 2020. Who thought IAF will go for so many aircrafts five years back ie in 2005? I think the number will increase gradually five years from now by 2015.

Lets hope so..I am just worried about the less no. of lighter jets..These are the ones which will be used in defense role..I hope Gripen makes the cut in MRCA then only the Hi-Lo mix will be somehow good..

I think you forgot about the AMCA. IAF going to induct 200 of these by 2025.It's test flight is expected in 2016:cool:

Back
Top Bottom