SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
India to order 42 more HAL-produced Su-30MKIs

DATE:12/01/11
SOURCE:Flight International

Hindustan Aeronautics expects the Indian air force to order an additional 42 locally produced Sukhoi Su-30MKIs.

The possible order would come on top of the 180 Su-30MKIs HAL is already producing for the air force, says company chairman Ashok Nayak.

About 105 aircraft from the 180-strong order have been delivered so far, Nayak says. In addition, in mid-2010, India ordered 40 Su-30MKIs as flyaways from Russia's Sukhoi.

getAsset.aspx

© AirSpace/APG

Although the in-service aircraft receives less publicity than the air force's medium multi-role combat aircraft competition or indigenously produced Tejas light combat aircraft, the Su-30MKI is the service's backbone and has represented India in several international exercises.
HAL rolled out its first completed Su-30MKI in November 2004.

Boeing 747 and Airbus A380 Aircraft News from Flightglobal

That makes the total number of su 30s above 300!!! great news
Please correct me if i am wrong, 180(previously ordered)+40(mid 2010)+42(latest)=262.

I thought we already ordered for 272 fighters... And you are saying its above 300...Whats the actual number (with proper source) ??//

230-2+40+42= 310..Thats a very large no. for a heavy fighter..
IAF will be tilted towards Heavy fighters..And thats not a good sign..

exactly my point, right now we have almost every new coming or existing fighter as a twin engine except for tejas which is yet to come and wont be inducted in 200+ number,
so twin engine
300mki+ 250 fgfa+126mmrca(if gripen is not selected)+amca

and sigle engine around 200 tejas
this eqution doesnt look balanced to me.
or maybe IAF is strongly considering gripen for MMRCA?

exactly my point, right now we have almost every new coming or existing fighter as a twin engine except for tejas which is yet to come and wont be inducted in 200+ number,
so twin engine
300mki+ 250 fgfa+126mmrca(if gripen is not selected)+amca

and sigle engine around 200 tejas
this eqution doesnt look balanced to me.
or maybe IAF is strongly considering gripen for MMRCA?

GRIPEN should be obvious choice for MRCA..It is economical and does the job. Plus we already are taking help from them in AMCA project (according to some reports ).
Its high time we start taking the decisions which are best for us rather than keeping every other country happy.

That makes the total number of su 30s above 300!!! great news :yahoo::yahoo:

Please correct me if i am wrong, 180(previously ordered)+40(mid 2010)+42(latest)=262.

I thought we already ordered for 272 fighters... And you are saying its above 300...Whats the actual number (with proper source) ??//

230-2+40+42= 310..Thats a very large no. for a heavy fighter..
IAF will be tilted towards Heavy fighters..And thats not a good sign..

actual total is 180 + 10 ( earlier meant for indonesia ) +40 + expected 42 , but not signed = 272

Well coming to think of it...all aircrafts except the MiG 21s right now are twin engined. wait i forgot the Mirage...

I think gripen would serve the purpose of IAF more then any other aircraft in competition ,IAF already operating a large fleet of twin engine fighters and we know twin engine fighters have advantages but also they have disadvantages like low sorties, costly to maintain etc so IAF needs a single engine fighter to compensate that disadvantage so Gripen fits the need

As told by CAS, we want LCA to be Gripen standard.

But there is unbalance in case of twin and single engine jets.

Most likely scenario for gripen is a seperate deal apart from MRCA, if IAF gets serious on plugging the gap of Mig-21s.

so benny , you mean to say you are not trusting our TEJAS :cry:

Back
Top Bottom