What's new

India to fast track multiple submarine deals

shree835

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
After losing INS Sindhurakshak in a fire last week which gutted the submarine killing all 18 several crew members. India is fast tracking many deals to lease , purchase or import submarines to reinforce depleting submarine fleet of Indian navy . Loss of INS Sindhurakshak was a big blow to Indian Navy , not only was it recently upgraded submarine but also one of the youngest ( 16 years) submarine in Naval arsenal .

The request for proposals (RFPs) for the $11.8-bn Project 75-I submarines of the Indian Navy is expected to be issued shortly. But Navy has made some changes and Two submarines would be acquired from a selected foreign shipyard and the remaining four would be built by the state-owned Mazagon Dock and Hindustan Shipyard. Apart from plans to allow private local shipbuilders to participate in this project.

India is also Negotiating with Russia on leasing Second Akula II class ‘Nerpa’ Nuclear submarine . under Project 75 India will get first Scorpene submarine which will join Indian Navy only in 2015 or later due to four years delays faced in the project . on event of loss of INS Sindhurakshak India is considering leasing two Diesel powered Kilo submarines from Russia , but according to Defence Analysts current Kilo submarines in Russian fleet are not upgraded to latest standard and it is unlikely that Russian Navy will have extra kilo submarines to spare .

According to Naval sources India may ask winner of Project 75-I for leasing of such submarines from their fleet if Russia cannot provide Kilo submarines , Foreign companies, including Rosoboron export’s Amur 1650 (Russia), DCNS’s Scorpene (France), HDW Type 214 (Germany) and Navantia’s S-80 (Spain) were the possible candidates for the P75-I $11.8-billion project. However, officials said the Spanish company has withdrawn its technical specifications due to weight issues with their submarine.

Under Project 75-I Diesel Submarines are going to be a bigger submarine than Scorpène and will be equipped with both tube-launched missiles for land-attack capabilities as well as AIP (air-independent propulsion) for enhanced underwater capability, SLCM BrahMos will also be a standard fitment in this submarines .

http://idrw.org/?p=26148#more-26148

This is nowhere close to the word fast tracking.

We are abysmal in the underwater department of navy. Fast track would be allowing even private large scale shipyards so that the submarines can be produced faster.

This is just another nonsense that is going to cause delays.

BS from the GOI.... mark my words, not a single sub under P75I will be inducted before 2020.

i am surprised what the hell is navy thinking? why are they not praposing the followon order for Scorpion. the followons will be inducted much faster.

BS from the GOI.... mark my words, not a single sub under P75I will be inducted before 2020.

i am surprised what the hell is navy thinking? why are they not praposing the followon order for Scorpion. the followons will be inducted much faster.

true but I guess India would lease atleast 2 conventional sub from the P75I vendor on temperory basis until its inducted along with Akula-2.

Useless,pathetic condition..............just privatize the shipyards and see the benefits in 2 years time

At the current rate of negotiations i am not even sure we will sign a contract before 2020 let alone induction before the period

Only solution is-------get more scorpenes off shelf with the aip unit(mesma i think) so that by 2020 we have 5-6 scorpenes made in india and a couple of atleast procured directly from france.

No need to get a new submarine under 75i in my opinion.upgraded scorpenes with aip will do just fine as it will stop the delay bound to happen if a new tender is floated

Navy's biggest mistake--------giving priority to vikrant over submarines!!!what were they thinking??

This is nowhere close to the word fast tracking.

We are abysmal in the underwater department of navy. Fast track would be allowing even private large scale shipyards so that the submarines can be produced faster.

This is just another nonsense that is going to cause delays.

The first 2 submarines should have been built in France. We should have got the MDL and HSL to France on training while the 2 subs get made. They come back and then build here. Or at-least sent the MDL people alone to France, if there was a requirement to retain building experience.

Hope they are planning to do this the 75i

Any indegenous project for conventional sub undergoing?

Not as of yet.

Only Arihant nuke sub is right now indigenous, although in some reports Navy has said that the Scorpenes will lay down the beginning of indigenous projects lining up. But that is a very long term plan.

Our Navy is more surface-based than underwater. Probably because of the western style doctrine.

Not as of yet.

Only Arihant nuke sub is right now indigenous, although in some reports Navy has said that the Scorpenes will lay down the beginning of indigenous projects lining up. But that is a very long term plan.

Our Navy is more surface-based than underwater. Probably because of the western style doctrine.

Thats true
in last 10 yrs Navy has inducted 10 Frigates, 14 FACs, 4 Amphibious warfare ships, 2 Fleet Tankers
but only one Sub ie the Nerpa

There is no way to say fast track to get submarines, the cost for maintenance and life support is more expensive and technical skills than fast track. India has shown their poor record history to maintain submarines.

After losing INS Sindhurakshak in a fire last week which gutted the submarine killing all 18 several crew members. India is fast tracking many deals to lease , purchase or import submarines to reinforce depleting submarine fleet of Indian navy . Loss of INS Sindhurakshak was a big blow to Indian Navy , not only was it recently upgraded submarine but also one of the youngest ( 16 years) submarine in Naval arsenal .

The request for proposals (RFPs) for the $11.8-bn Project 75-I submarines of the Indian Navy is expected to be issued shortly. But Navy has made some changes and Two submarines would be acquired from a selected foreign shipyard and the remaining four would be built by the state-owned Mazagon Dock and Hindustan Shipyard. Apart from plans to allow private local shipbuilders to participate in this project.

India is also Negotiating with Russia on leasing Second Akula II class ‘Nerpa’ Nuclear submarine . under Project 75 India will get first Scorpene submarine which will join Indian Navy only in 2015 or later due to four years delays faced in the project . on event of loss of INS Sindhurakshak India is considering leasing two Diesel powered Kilo submarines from Russia , but according to Defence Analysts current Kilo submarines in Russian fleet are not upgraded to latest standard and it is unlikely that Russian Navy will have extra kilo submarines to spare .

According to Naval sources India may ask winner of Project 75-I for leasing of such submarines from their fleet if Russia cannot provide Kilo submarines , Foreign companies, including Rosoboron export’s Amur 1650 (Russia), DCNS’s Scorpene (France), HDW Type 214 (Germany) and Navantia’s S-80 (Spain) were the possible candidates for the P75-I $11.8-billion project. However, officials said the Spanish company has withdrawn its technical specifications due to weight issues with their submarine.

Under Project 75-I Diesel Submarines are going to be a bigger submarine than Scorpène and will be equipped with both tube-launched missiles for land-attack capabilities as well as AIP (air-independent propulsion) for enhanced underwater capability, SLCM BrahMos will also be a standard fitment in this submarines .

India to fast track multiple submarine deals | idrw.org

The only way forward to IN is:

From DCNS:
6 Scorpions
6 Andrasta

From Russia:
6 Amur 1650
6 Amur 950

Back
Top Bottom