What's new

India to add 6,000 MW wind power by 2012

sunny_aus

BANNED
Reaction score
India to add 6,000 MW wind power by 2012

NEW DELHI: India is expected to expand its wind-based power plant capacity by 6,000 MW by 2012, but this could still be below the eleventh plan target for this period, a latest report says.

The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) has fixed a target of 10,500 mega watts between 2007-12, but an additional generation capacity of only about 6,000 MW might be available for commercial use by 2012, as per research and project investment database firm ProjectsToday.

This assumption is based on the progress at the ongoing projects and the plans announced by public and private sectors, it said.

"The shortfall in wind power generated could be due to lack of availability of land for wind farms and the currently planned captive consumption could be used by others if government provides transmission facilities," ProjectsToday CEO Shashikant Hegde said.

During the 10th Plan (2002-2007), India saw installation of 5,426 MW of wind power generation capacity, as against the target of 2,200 MW.

However, accountancy major KPMG Advisory Services' Associate Director Santosh Kamath said that the 11th plan period target of 10,500 additional capacity seems "feasible" as the country is currently adding 1,800-2,000 MW per year.

"The robust growth in the country's wind power generation is largely driven by the incentives provided by the government to companies which set up wind power farms," he added.

India is currently the fourth largest generator of wind power in the world with a capacity of 8,696 MW, even ahead of China's 5,899 MW, ProjectsToday said.

India to add 6,000 MW wind power by 2012- Latest News-The Economic Times

India aims for 20,000 nuclear megawatts by 2020

BANGALORE, INDIA After the anticipated commissioning in 2010 of the 500-megawatt (MW) prototype fast breeder reactor (FBR) in Kalpakkam, Tamil Nadu, India plans to build a cluster of 1,000-MW FBRs.

The prototype FBR is currently in an advanced stage of construction, having recently received a $5 million, 140-ton stainless steel safety vessel that was developed at the site by engineering major Larsen & Toubro. The FBR is expected to attain criticality, the initiation of the first chain reaction to start the reactor, by September 2010.

India will build four 500-MW FBRs before taking up construction of the 1,000-MW FBRs that are expected to become the mainstay of nuclear power in the country from 2020. Two 500-MW FBRs will be constructed in Kalpakkam, and the other two will be situated elsewhere, although a location has yet to be decided.

India aims for 20,000 nuclear megawatts by 2020

This is one interesting comparison I found. The total electricity production target of India by nuclear energy, on the back of US-Indo nuke deal, is 20,000MW by 2020. While the country is adding 2000MW/year electricity production capacity by wind power every year.

Wind power is definitely something we could work on with the Indians to over come the power shortage that we face and also to lower the cost of the fuel that we have to import for running the turbines and unnecessarily higher price for electricity.

Tidal energy is also going to be a major sourse of energy for India in near future.Since India is surrounded by sea on three sides, its potential to hamess tidal energy has been recognised by the Government of India. Potential sites for tidal power development have already been located. The most attractive locations are the Gulf of Khambhat and the gulf of Kachchh in gujarat on the west coast. The Ganges Delta in the Sunderbans in West Bengal also has good locations for small scale tidal power development. The identified economic tidal power potential in India is of the order of 8000-9000 MW with about 7000 MW in the Gulf of Khambhat about 1200 MW in the Gulf of Kachchh and less than 100 MW in Sundarbans. The Kachchh Tidal Power Project with an installed capacity of about 900 MW is estimated to cost about Rs. 1460/- crore generating lectricity at about 90 paise per unit. The techno-economic feasibility report is now being examined.

Attachments

• Gujarat_Gulfs.jpg
    Gujarat_Gulfs.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Arunachal Pradesh has Hydropower generation capacity of over 80,000 MW..

I have to do a work placement next year at the end of my second year so I'm going to try to go to India and work for Suzlon a company which manufactures wind turbines.

Suzlon i believe is the leader in the field of wind energy globally. Good thing if you get a job there mate!

Suzlon i believe is the leader in the field of wind energy globally. Good thing if you get a job there mate!

Its definitely a world leader I think they recently got a big contract in Australia but Vestas of Denmark and Enercon of Germany are by far the biggest suppliers out there.

What I'd like to see as an extension of friendship and cooperation between Pakistan and India is a Suzlon wind turbine farm built in Pakistan but thats just an idealists hope.

I have to do a work placement next year at the end of my second year so I'm going to try to go to India and work for Suzlon a company which manufactures wind turbines.

Its worlds largest company in its own area....

India props up wind power

Tamil Nadu, India — The Government of India is promoting commercial wind power projects across the country, including a large amount in the State of Tamil Nadu. According to the government, it will provide incentives for the development of these projects.

The incentives include a concessional import duty for wind electricity generator sub-systems, excise duty exemption, ten years tax holiday on wind power projects, benefit of accelerated depreciation, term loan from Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA) and identification of more potential locations by carrying out wind resource assessment studies.

The incentives include a concessional import duty for wind electricity generator sub-systems, excise duty exemption, ten years tax holiday on wind power projects, benefit of accelerated depreciation and term loans from Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA). The government also plans to assist in identification of more potential locations by carrying out wind resource assessment studies.

The State Govt. of Tamil Nadu has a target of installing 2,500 megawatts of wind capacity during its next planning period. The Tamil Nadu plan is part of a wider effort from the Indian Government to to support wind resource assessment and demonstration projects in various States and R&D projects in the country.

India props up wind power [National Wind Watch]

hey thats cool so that means ur doing a sandwich course? wat degree is it exactly? and wat r u gonna do with suzlon in india? :bounce:

Back
Top Bottom