What's new

India tests N-capable Agni-I missile

I guess army is using/could use it to train troops with missiles nearing Shelf-life expiry. That could be a better way to test shelf life as well. If it fails shorten shelf life.

It would be better than to just destroy those after expiry.

India's Nuke Command Exercises Agni-1
AGNI-A1-06-1_.JPG

Agni 1, India’s 700-km range nuclear-capable ballistic missile was successfully launched today by India's Strategic Forces Command at 1006 hrs from the Wheeler Island off the coast of Odisha as part of a training exercise. According to the DRDO, "It was a textbook launch meeting all mission objectives and the missile reached the target point in the Bay of Bengal following the prescribed trajectory. The missile was launched from Road Mobile Launcher System and was tracked by radar and telemetry stations located along the coastline. Two naval ships located near the target point tracked the missile in the terminal phase of the flight. Indigenously developed by DRDO the missile is already in the arsenal of Indian armed forces and was launched by the Strategic Forces Command as part of training exercise to ensure preparedness.

Livefist: India's Nuke Command Exercises Agni-1

India successfully tests nuclear-capable Agni-I missile | NDTV.com

The Hindu : Sci-Tech / Science : Agni-I successfully test-fired

India successfully tests N-capable Agni-I missile - Hindustan Times

The Strategic Forces Command (SFC) of the Indian Army successfully launched on Friday the Agni-I missile from the Wheeler Island, off Orissa and the missile travelled its full range of 700 km.

Agni-I took off from a mobile launcher (a TATRA truck) at the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at 10.06 a.m. and sped towards its target in the Bay of Bengal. The missile’s re-entry systems worked well and it plunged into the targeted area with accuracy.

The Defence Research and Development Organisation designed and developed Agni-I. The Army has already deployed this short-range missile which can carry nuclear warheads.

An elated V.K. Saraswat, Scientific Advisor to the Defence Minister, told The Hindu from the Wheeler Island, that all the Agni missiles — Agni-I, II, III, IV and V, developed by the DRDO, “are flying high.” The DRDO launched Agni-V with a range of more than 5,000 km in April 2012 and the DRDO was back to launching Agni-I now.

“The production system of Agni missiles is working on schedule and the user [the Army] is conversant with the exercise of the launch.

They have done a superb job today.

The Strategic Forces Command has mastered the technology of launching the missile to a high degree,” said Dr. Saraswat.

The missile was drawn from the production lot

G. Satheesh Reddy, Associate Director, Research Centre, Imarat (RCI), one of the DRDO laboratories situated in Hyderabad, described the launch as “a complete success.” Cameras on board two ships stationed near the targeted area recorded the terminal event of the missile’s flight.

Avinash Chander, Chief Controller (missiles and strategic systems), DRDO, V.G. Sekaran, Director, Advanced Systems Laboratory (ASL), Hyderabad, S.K. Chaudhury, Director, RCI, M.V.K.V. Prasad, Director, ITR, Balasore, Orissa and the top officers of the SFC witnessed the launch. The ASL, a DRDO laboratory and the RCI contributed the systems in Agni-I.

Agni-I is 15 metres long and weighs 12 tonnes. It is a single stage missile that is powered by solid propellants. It can carry a nuclear warhead weighing one tonne. With its range of 700 km, it is Pakistan-specific.

The first flight of Agni-I took place on January 25, 2002. The DRDO developed it quickly within 15 months because there was a felt need for a missile with a short range which will cover the western area.

Such a need was felt after the Kargil war between India and Pakistan in 1999.

Does anybody know about the K 15 project India is working on? I think it's some kind of underwater missile firing technology.

Agni-I Launch on July 13, 2012

561358_484165604931713_1384481578_n.jpg

Cannot see the picture .......

Agni-1 missile launched successfully from Wheeler's Island, says the MoD. Official press release placed below

Agni-1+July12+3.jpg

Agni-1+Jul12+4.jpg

India’s 700 km range ballistic missile, ‘AGNI I’ was successfully launched today from the wheeler island off the coast of Odisha. It was a textbook launch meeting all mission objectives and the missile reached the target point in the Bay of Bengal following the prescribed trajectory. The missile was launched from Road Mobile Launcher System and was tracked by Radar and Telemetry stations located along the coastline. Two Naval Ships located near the target point tracked the missile in the terminal phase of the Flight.

Indigenously developed by DRDO the missile is already in the arsenal of Indian Armed Forces and was launched by the Strategic Forces Command as part of training exercise to ensure preparedness.

The Launch was witnessed by Dr. Vijay Kumar Saraswat, SA to RM, Secretary Department of Defence Research & Development & DG DRDO, Shri Avinash Chander, Scientist & CC R&D (Missiles & Strategic Systems) and Programme Director AGNI, Dr. J Chattopadhyaya, Project Director and Shri MVKV Prasad, Director ITR and senior officials from DRDO and the armed forces.

Dr Saraswat congratulated all the Scientists and employees of DRDO and the Armed forces for the successful launch.

Defence Minister Shri A K Antony has congratulated the DRDO team on the successful launch of Agni I.

Broadsword: Agni-1 missile launched successfully from Wheeler's Island, says the MoD. Official press release placed below

It is all right to test a 'nuke' capable missile, whether of 700 km (Agni 1) or 7000 km (Agni V), but where is the 1000 kg nuke payload itself? Is it ready?

this missile weighs 12 tons and needs a very big vehicle for transport and launch..
But pakistan's 700km missile is much smaller and weighs less..

So whats the point in making such a heavy missile for a measly 700km range?

this missile weighs 12 tons and needs a very big vehicle for transport and launch..

Because india dont beg for ready made missiles to anyone or we aint getting as an aid .. this missiles are very first lot of missiles which india has produced as it seems u like to follow regular news abt indian defence u might know now the situation has changed we are now started to produce very sophisticated missiles which is far better then any pakistan has ....

We dont have a stealed technology unfortunately :P hence we have to do all our home work alone

Back
Top Bottom