India suffered 1,874 casualties without fighting a war

Imran Khan

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
India suffered 1,874 casualties without fighting a war
Rajat Pandit, TNN May 1, 2003, 03.55am IST

NEW DELHI: The life of an Indian Army soldier comes cheap. The US-led coalition forces lost just around 150 personnel during the recent Iraq operations. In sharp contrast, and without going to war, almost 2,000 Indian Army soldiers were killed or wounded during the 10-month forward deployment along the Indo-Pak border last year.

"What else do you expect? We have to soldier on without even basic necessities like decent helmets, proper webbing or bullet-proof jackets. Many accidents during the mobilisation were due to the poor quality of mines and fuses," retorted an angry young Major.
Ads by Google

Usually extremely tight-lipped about casualty figures, the defence ministry had to disclose them in the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday in response to a question.

"The number of Army personnel killed or wounded in Jammu and Kashmir and the western sector during the mobilisation, Operation Parakram, from December 19, 2001 to October 16, 2002, was 1,874," said Defence Minister George Fernandes.

This, by any benchmark, is a truly staggering figure for a 10-month period, even if the counter-insurgency operations in Jammu and Kashmir are taken into account.

In the initial phase of Operation Parakram itself, after the December 2001 Parliament attack, over 100 soldiers were killed and 250 injured during mine-laying operations. Vehicle accidents, artillery duels with Pakistan and other incidents led to many more casualties.

Relentless counter-insurgency operations in Jammu and Kashmir are also, of course, exacting a heavy toll on the soldiers, with over 1,000 being killed in terrorist activity in the last three years.

The government, however, continues to sleep. Battling extremely well-equipped terrorists, soldiers face a crippling shortage of bullet-proof jackets, night-vision devices, communication sets, sensors and other equipment which can make their gruelling jobs much easier.

Take bullet-proof jackets, for instance. Only 1.24 lakh jackets are available when 3.53 lakh jackets are required for troops operating in counter-insurgency duties and along the Line of Control.

"Sometimes, our jawans are reduced to swiping bullet-proof jackets and assault rifles from slain terrorists for personal use. The bullet-proof jackets provided to us are bulky and restrict mobility," said an officer, who has done stints in the Valley.

India suffered 1,874 casualties without fighting a war - Times Of India

DAMN ! ! WHAT THE HELL ! ! ! India is Spending lots of money in defence projects but ingoring basic demand of protection of troops ! ! What kind of defence strategy is this ?

it was 2003 standoff news dear we don't have history forum i think that is why i posted it here .

DAMN ! ! WHAT THE HELL ! ! ! India is Spending lots of money in defence projects but ingoring basic demand of protection of troops ! ! What kind of defence strategy is this ?

This is ten year old article. Many things changed by now.

this time the death toll would be no less than half of there armed forces strength.

no more midget war's with death toll usually less than 5000 of our enemies.

we common Pakistanis will participate and fight against the so called trained indian army

@Awesome sir move it to military history section . i just like to keep it as record here as original source will delete is soon as its reached 10 years old .

Last edited by a moderator:
In the initial phase of Operation Parakram itself, after the December 2001 Parliament attack, over 100 soldiers were killed and 250 injured during mine-laying operations.

100 soldiers killed in just mine laying operations? And then there are Indian on this forum who are proud of this Operation Parakram.

why doesnt pakistan reveal its casuality figures? why does it insist on keeping the martial myth alive?

Look, this news (10 year old) came from our own sources. Don't bring Pakistan into it. They have their issues, we have ours. They deal with theirs, and 10 years on we have been dealing with ours with new equipment for the foot soldiers.

I must say though, that we need a lot more to go in terms of modernisation but that is happening. 10 years is a long time. Look at the forces today.

why doesnt pakistan reveal its casuality figures? why does it insist on keeping the martial myth alive?

in fact no mass deaths from pakistani side on stand off days . you think pakistanis are chicken ?if they die no one knows ? even those days BBC CNN ARYtv Indus network DAWN group GEOtv AND many more was in pakistan .do you think no one notice of any death ? when we lost solders we declare . i just remember one death a solder was killed by indian army while he went india for bring back cattle from BSF and they killed him . that only causality i remember now.

Rs 1,50,000 crores on a corny vote catching 'food security bill' every year but no bullet proof jackets? :pissed:

almost 2,000 Indian Army soldiers were killed or wounded during the 10-month forward deployment along the Indo-Pak border last year.
This is utter nonsense!

He should have mentioned that those killed also include the J&K Police, ITBP, CRPF, BSF, Territorial Army, and CISF.
The IA form a very small percentage of this figure. This nut doesn't know the difference between the IA and the Paramilitary forces.

this time the death toll would be no less than half of there armed forces strength.

no more midget war's with death toll usually less than 5000 of our enemies.

we common Pakistanis will participate and fight against the so called trained indian army

Please..

You are scaring us !

13 years old incident and figure is highly disputed and then Indian people critisised govt for this. We learnt our lesson and in a similar incident in 2008 stand off we deployed more than 7 lakhs soldiers without any/very little loss and also deployement happened in very short time.

Back
Top Bottom