What's new

India says US protectionism is regressive

I spent some time in Milwaukee as a GE employee (I was actually employed in their captive in Delhi) and I remember the kind of looks I got from White folks on the bus that I took to the office. I had a solid inkling that the driver would one day drive off just as soon as I was about to get off, trampling me under the tyres. But the point I am trying to make is that public opinion wasnt pro-outsourcing then. But GE still continued with its policies. And so did a lot many others.

I know what you mean luckily my staff were trained in India and did not have to experience what you went thru, unfortunately they still feel the vibes thru conference/voice calls with some of our onshore staff.

Though I must say the resentment for outsourcing is a lot stronger in the US then the UK which actually is quite a welcoming country to foreigners.

Jobs in US | Indian IT | 2.5 Lakh Jobs | Union Commerce Minister - Oneindia News

New Delhi, Sep 15: When US is looking forward to restore its economy by stopping outsourcing in other countries, Union Commerce Minister, Anand Sharma reported that Indian IT created about 2.5 lakh jobs in US in last three years.

Buzz up!The report revealed that 7,000 jobs have been created in the US in the month of Aug 2010.

"In times of crisis, countries tend to look inwards but protection can be counterproductive. This is the time to encourage global trade flows," said Sharma.

Recently, by increasing professional visa fees and banning outsourcing, US made an effort to save and create more jobs in the country.

These measures were confronted strong criticism from the Indian Inc as the Indian IT has been largely harmed by US decision.

However, Sharma hoped, "We remain optimistic about the whole scenario but responses need to be calibrated."

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Indian IT cos created 7,000 jobs in US in Aug - The Economic Times

NEW DELHI: Indian IT companies created 7,000 jobs in the US last month and 2.5 lakh jobs over the last three years, commerce minister Anand Sharma has said, indicating that recent protectionist measures taken by the US such as hiking professional visa fees and clamping down on outsourcing could hamper such economic activities.

“In times of crisis, countries tend to look inwards but protection can be counter productive.

This is the time to encourage global trade flows,” the minister said on Tuesday. The bilateral trade policy forum meeting scheduled next week to be chaired by Mr Sharma and US trade representative Ron Kirk will focus on both issues.

The minister is optimistic that the issues could be sorted out through discussions. “We remain optimistic about the whole scenario but responses need to be calibrated ,” he said.

The quality of service of Indian IT companies delivered are captured through customer satisfaction index. For your information, the customer satisfaction survey done by customers in more than 90% in most of the tier-1 Indian IT companies. It seems most of the customers are happy with the service provided. And secondly Indian companys compete with mutinationals like IBM, HP, Oracle on merit and capability not solely on cost factor as most of these US companies have significant presence in India and quote more or less the same price.

Back
Top Bottom