What's new

India Says No To China Warning, India to co-operate with VN.

DelhiDareDevil

Reaction score
NEW DELHI — Shrugging off Chinese warnings, India's state-run oil firm ONGC said on Friday it would press ahead with long-term partner Vietnam in exploring the disputed South China Sea for oil.

The plans have stoked concerns that the exploration could exacerbate tensions between fast-growing neighbours China and India, who fought a brief, bloody war in 1962 over their disputed Himalayan border.

China has repeatedly said it has "indisputable sovereignty" over essentially all of the South China Sea, a key trading route, and that Beijing is opposed to any country engaged in oil and gas exploration there without its permission.

But India insists the area ONGC wishes to explore is well within Vietnam's territorial waters.

"We will proceed with drilling at our block (in the South China Sea) on a schedule established according to our technical convenience," a senior Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) executive told AFP, asking not to be named.

He added India's foreign ministry had told ONGC the area where the oil firm wished to explore was "very much inside Vietnam's territory."

ONGC is expected to resume drilling next year at one of its two blocks in the mineral and fuel-rich South China Sea, where Vietnam, the Philippines, Taiwan, Malaysia and Brunei also have claims.

The Indian statement came a day after Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu said oil and gas exploration activities carried out by a foreign company without the approval of China were illegal and invalid.

India, worried about encirclement by Chinese interests in the South Asian region, has been cooperating with Vietnam since the early 1990s as part of its "Look East policy" aimed at expanding ties with its eastern neighbours.

"This (oil exploration) is one important area of cooperation with Vietnam and we would like this area of cooperation to grow," India's foreign affairs spokesman Vishnu Prakash said earlier this month.

India's oil exploration projects in two Vietnamese blocks in the South China Sea were in line with "international laws," he added.

But the Chinese state-run Global Times, in a hard hitting editorial, has said Vietnam's efforts to bring in foreign companies to explore for oil amount to a "serious political provocation".

"China does not like being defied," Indian defence analyst Rahul Bedi told AFP.

At the same time, he said, India "does not yet have the military capability if it comes to a confrontation in the South China Sea on these oil blocks."

A Chinese warship was reported several weeks ago to have confronted an Indian naval vessel in waters off Vietnam and demanded its identity amid regional concern over Beijing's growing maritime assertiveness.

New Delhi has confirmed contact was made with its ship, but has rejected the suggestion of a confrontation.

Meanwhile the Philippines said Friday it had made headway in its bid to form a united front with its Southeast Asian neighbours against what it calls China's "illegal" grab of most of the South China Sea.

A meeting of delegates from Association of Southeast Asian Nations agreed that the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea should be the framework to resolve territorial disputes, Philippine Foreign Undersecretary Esteban Conejos said.

The delegates also endorsed an interim Philippine plan to ease tensions, which calls for identifying disputed areas, Conejos said.

AFP: India shrugs off China warnings on oil exploration

you know what China, you are one dumb panda! your too hungry for territory that now you are to going gett a beat down...

Hey pakistani members, Dont listen to to these sly, decieving chinese con artist, THEY ARE LIERS AND DECIEVERS....

PAKISTAN IS SUFFERING WITH FLOODS and SICK, WHY IS CHINA NOT sending money to help the people of pakistan, where the disaster aid comming from China..

WHY is CHINA's ally being tormented by the U.S of A. Why is afghanistan and Pakistan no different from one an other, China's all weather friend pakistan, is an abymisal state, where they cant even help the flood victims, COMMON CHINA IF you are a true friend help pak with floods and help pak lead the Americans away from drones and bombs that fall on pak's HEART each day

Is this the best of Indian Trolling ????

Is this the best of Indian Trolling ????

Yes of sorts--- but it is hilarious that you saw yourself to be the messenger :D

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

O god here comes Chinese Tiger and Chinese Dragon, premium TROLLS,

So are chinese tigers are they smaller than Indian tigers, like they must have yellow skin and what other features set them apart from say African tiger or european tiger

dude --- chill. put your point across with a bit more tact

lol China warns again and yes guys once again nobody gives a rats ***, India's reply is like "talk to my hand" what an embarrassment.

There is absoutely nothing China can do about the development with VN, Besides threathen with hollow words from the press?

What can China do? now that japan jumped on india's side only a matter of time before other ASEAN countries stand behind India

Why would we listen to China? These warnings will simply fall on deaf ears. We will do what we want, when we want, how we want.

We have made it very clear that we intend to cooperate with Vietnam and we will follow through with such intentions.

Where you from brotha, i am from North Carolina

I have a mission, to basically put down every chinese member, Siege crossbow, chinese Dragon/tiger/dog/ cat/ goat what ever other usernames that are assciated with chinese members

I admire your frankness. I'd wish others here would also give up any pretensions of class.

it is very silly of india to wind up china. China has a lot of incredible options to wind up incredible indians.

it is very silly of india to wind up china. China has a lot of incredible options to wind up incredible indians.

Having thought about it I think indian govt is being incredibly silly to wind up chinese

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

yeah like what? Give me some critical thinking here... I'm up for a civil intelligent debate

well they could sign a defence treaty with pakistan, sri lanka and bangladesh for starters lol

Having thought about it I think indian govt is being incredibly silly to wind up chinese

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

well they could sign a defence treaty with pakistan, sri lanka and bangladesh for starters lol

that would be incredibly silly from incredible dragon

Back
Top Bottom