Banglar Bir
SENIOR MEMBER
- Joined
- Mar 19, 2006
- Messages
- 7,805
- Reaction score
- -3
- Country
- Location
India prepares new war plan for Bay of Bengal
South Asia Monitor Report
India goes for new war plan to counter increasing threat in and around Indian Ocean including Bay of Bengal. India’s war doctrine, till now, hinged on a possible two-pronged adversarial scenario keeping Pakistan and China in mind. A move is underway to make a three-pronged war doctrine involving Bay of Bengal, Arabian Sea and the Indian Ocean. Meanwhile, the Indian Navy ended its month-long exercise across Indian Ocean to test combat readiness in late February.
A key landmark change in India’s current war doctrine may now be underway with another front — to counter the increasing naval threat from the Arabian Sea, the Indian Ocean and the Bay of Bengal — being factored in to move to a three-pronged war doctrine, the Indian Defense News reported in late February.
The top-secret proposal has sparked off due to recent developments in the Indian Ocean region which has become a hub of military activity where ships and submarines of many nations prowl.
Reports already speak of a nuclear Chinese submarine having docked in Karachi harbour in May last year and then being spotted by satellites in the Malacca Straits in June. Chinese subs have also been spotted in and around Gwadar port in Pakistan which is the key entry point to the China-Pakistan-Economic Corridor (CPEC).
“It was learnt from reliable sources that the proposal was actively deliberated and considered in the annual combined commanders’ conference held in the Indian Military Academy in Dehradun from January 21,” the report said.
Besides Army Chief General Bipin Rawat, Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba, Air Force Chief Marshal B.S. Dhanoa and key commanders from the three forces, the meet was also attended by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, till then Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, National Security Adviser Ajit Doval among others.
The proposed doctrine is in the drafting stage now under the aegis of the Integrated Defence Services headquarters. Subsequent to its framing, the doctrine will be deliberated upon and all stakeholders consulted before it is finally approved and adopted as a doctrine.
Besides the armed forces, the NSA will also have a key word. There is, therefore, a feeling in relevant circles that the military assets in the southern part of the country need to be geared up, a region that has been relatively neglected with the armed forces mainly focused in the eastern, western and northern fronts.
In October, last year, India said that its defence forces would be restructured into the ‘theater commands’ like China. Now, a three-pronged doctrine will result in creating and re-positioning military assets in an unprecedented scale.
Another core item discussed was the importance and need for a separate unified aerospace command. This proposal acquires significance in the light of China making rapid strides in space-based warfare, the IDN report said.
Meanwhile, the Indian Navy ended its month-long Naval exercise called ‘Theatre-level Readiness and Operational Exercise’ (TROPEX) ended in late February. The aim of the exercise, which was carried out across the vast expanse of the Arabian Sea and the North Central Indian Ocean, was to test the combat readiness of the combined fleets of the Navy, the Air Force, the Army and the Coast Guard.
Over 45 ships from both the Western and Eastern Naval Commands, five submarines including the nuclear-powered Chakra, 50 Naval aircraft, 11 ships from the Coast Guard, troops from the Army and 20 aircraft from the Air Force including Su-30s and Jaguars participated in the exercise from January 24 to February 23.
South Asia Monitor Report
India goes for new war plan to counter increasing threat in and around Indian Ocean including Bay of Bengal. India’s war doctrine, till now, hinged on a possible two-pronged adversarial scenario keeping Pakistan and China in mind. A move is underway to make a three-pronged war doctrine involving Bay of Bengal, Arabian Sea and the Indian Ocean. Meanwhile, the Indian Navy ended its month-long exercise across Indian Ocean to test combat readiness in late February.
A key landmark change in India’s current war doctrine may now be underway with another front — to counter the increasing naval threat from the Arabian Sea, the Indian Ocean and the Bay of Bengal — being factored in to move to a three-pronged war doctrine, the Indian Defense News reported in late February.
The top-secret proposal has sparked off due to recent developments in the Indian Ocean region which has become a hub of military activity where ships and submarines of many nations prowl.
Reports already speak of a nuclear Chinese submarine having docked in Karachi harbour in May last year and then being spotted by satellites in the Malacca Straits in June. Chinese subs have also been spotted in and around Gwadar port in Pakistan which is the key entry point to the China-Pakistan-Economic Corridor (CPEC).
“It was learnt from reliable sources that the proposal was actively deliberated and considered in the annual combined commanders’ conference held in the Indian Military Academy in Dehradun from January 21,” the report said.
Besides Army Chief General Bipin Rawat, Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba, Air Force Chief Marshal B.S. Dhanoa and key commanders from the three forces, the meet was also attended by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, till then Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, National Security Adviser Ajit Doval among others.
The proposed doctrine is in the drafting stage now under the aegis of the Integrated Defence Services headquarters. Subsequent to its framing, the doctrine will be deliberated upon and all stakeholders consulted before it is finally approved and adopted as a doctrine.
Besides the armed forces, the NSA will also have a key word. There is, therefore, a feeling in relevant circles that the military assets in the southern part of the country need to be geared up, a region that has been relatively neglected with the armed forces mainly focused in the eastern, western and northern fronts.
In October, last year, India said that its defence forces would be restructured into the ‘theater commands’ like China. Now, a three-pronged doctrine will result in creating and re-positioning military assets in an unprecedented scale.
Another core item discussed was the importance and need for a separate unified aerospace command. This proposal acquires significance in the light of China making rapid strides in space-based warfare, the IDN report said.
Meanwhile, the Indian Navy ended its month-long Naval exercise called ‘Theatre-level Readiness and Operational Exercise’ (TROPEX) ended in late February. The aim of the exercise, which was carried out across the vast expanse of the Arabian Sea and the North Central Indian Ocean, was to test the combat readiness of the combined fleets of the Navy, the Air Force, the Army and the Coast Guard.
Over 45 ships from both the Western and Eastern Naval Commands, five submarines including the nuclear-powered Chakra, 50 Naval aircraft, 11 ships from the Coast Guard, troops from the Army and 20 aircraft from the Air Force including Su-30s and Jaguars participated in the exercise from January 24 to February 23.