What's new

India & Pakistan to restart talks as foreign secys meet next week

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
India & Pakistan to restart talks as foreign secys meet next week

New Delhi wants to move cautiously, "unlocking" the stalled peace process, focusing on the deliverables while finding ways to work around the difficult issues when the foreign secretaries of India and Pakistan meet in Thimpu early next week.

Officials said they are not expecting any "dramatic outcome" as the two neighbours get back to the talking tables to lay groundwork for the visit of Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi to India, probably in March-April.

Maintaining that even Islamabad share this approach, trade issues, consular matters, a possible meeting between the two commerce secretaries, the meeting of the judicial committee on prisoners, counter terrorism and Sir Creek are among the issues were a positive outcome can be targeted.

The meeting between foreign secretary Nirupama Rao and her Pakistan counterpart Salman Bashir will take place in Thimpu. Hoping that the meeting will provide "little more clarity" on how to resolve the outstanding issues between the two countries, officials said both foreign secretaries will be on "exploratory sort of mission" to plan for the months ahead.

There has been "some communication" in past few weeks as Rao and Bashir have spoken a couple of times on phone, they said.

Officials while taking note of the former Pakistani Foreign Minister Khurshid Mahmud Kasuri's remarks that Pakistan army was totally on board for the track-II peace initiatives maintained the ties between two countries are now at a different stage.

"It was an interesting speech of what happened in past few years between us. We are at a different stage of the relationship. We have seen the reactions that came out in last February, last June and July and of course before that there was Mumbai and the complication due to that...," the officials said.

It was not as if New Delhi has set aside what has happened in the past but it does not know "how ready Pakistani officials or establishments are to acknowledge all that was discussed during President Pervez Musharraf's time," they said.

They were also quick to point out Kayani's recent remarks that the Pakistani army was "India-centric" and said the army was part of the government and "we have no reason to doubt that there will be inputs from defence and army" on Indo-Pak relations. Officials said that the Delhi is discussing ways to address the Iran oil payment crisis.

India, Pak to restart talks as foreign secys meet next week - Hindustan Times

Well as OBAMA said, they have to start with simple issue, build trust and then move to more complex issues. I hope Pakistan does not expect to solve Kashmir in next 6 months, they should understand that if we deliver on each others concern trust will be built. Once trust is built it makes it easier to solve something complex like Kashmir.

Simple things, when business is done with new partner, smaller risk are taken first. As an when trust is established and we know each other well. We can think about big things.

This is how it should be done.

BTW, why are we talking to Pakistan? Have they taken some action against the perpetrators of 26/11?

If not, then why?

Hasn't it been our policy right from the start that Pakistan first has to take action against the perpetrators of 26/11 before we resume dialogue?

I wonder whatever happened to that policy of ours.

BTW, why are we talking to Pakistan? Have they taken some action against the perpetrators of 26/11?

If not, then why?

Hasn't it been our policy right from the start that Pakistan first has to take action against the perpetrators of 26/11 before we resume dialogue?

I wonder whatever happened to that policy of ours.

That is what I am saying, if they cannot take step in smaller matter as compared to Kashmir. What do they expect from us.

No. I'm saying why are we even talking in the first place.

There is. The other way round would be to not talk. Simple.

Exactly me too wondering what broght abot the change in policy - Prodding by Obama ??

Because we are not in desperate need for talks - we do not have an economy on the brink, we do not have a full blown war going on any of our borders, we do not have our Army Chief say that we do not have resources to fight a more important enemy and so on.

But whatever, the talks will just be a sham and nothing will come out of it unless Pakistan drops Kashmir and punishes the 26/11 perperators.

Exactly me too wondering what broght abot the change in policy - Prodding by Obama ??

Because we are not in desperate need for talks - we do not have an economy on the brink, we do not have a full blown war going on any of our borders, we do not have our Army Chief say that we do not have resources to fight a more important enemy and so on.

But whatever, the talks will just be a sham and nothing will come out of it unless Pakistan drops Kashmir and punishes the 26/11 perperators.

May be I know why this is happening. This is nothing but MMS and Shiv Shankar Menon at work.

Remember Sharm-Al-Sheikh?

Thats rather an exaggerated view don't you think? First of all our economy on the brink....yes, but India has simply no impact on our economy. And i am assuming by full blown war you mean WOT, how long is that going to last, its not that hard to imagine and specially when we have refused to go any further up the North. More important enemy....really? according to whom? Indians? No thanks i think we Pakistanis understand better who is more important.

That is what I'm wondering too, aren't I?

Did you even read my earlier posts?

You didn't get my post in a hurry to press the reply button. Thing is your government has finally realized after trying everything else that talks is the only way forward. Pakistan is no Iraq and India no US of A. I don't mean that in the wrong way after all i don't want to hurt certain egos here but thats the fact. The better you get a grasp of this reality, the better it would be for the whole region.

You didn't get my post in a hurry to press the reply button. Thing is your government has finally realized after trying everything else that talks is the only way forward. Pakistan is no Iraq and India no US of A. I don't mean that in the wrong way after all i don't want to hurt certain egos here but thats the fact. The better you get a grasp of this reality, the better it would be for the whole region.

You didn't read my earlier post, did ya?

The other option which I believe would be the better one is to not talk. Plain and simple.

No talks with Pakistan.

I'm not saying we should attack Pakistan or something because we can't for reasons which you very well pointed out.

But 'to not talk' is different from 'to wage war'.

Thats rather an exaggerated view don't you think? First of all our economy on the brink....1) yes, but India has simply no impact on our economy.

2)And i am assuming by full blown war you mean WOT, how long is that going to last, its not that hard to imagine and specially when we have refused to go any further up the North.

3)More important enemy....really? according to whom? Indians? No thanks i think we Pakistanis understand better who is more important.

1) It would be foolish not to think peace with India does not have an impact on your economy. While the reverse case is also true, the impact will be greater in your case.

2) How long it is going to last - no one knows. and it is the refusal to go into the North Waziristan is exactly why Pakistan needs peace with India. Only then it can divert its resource from the Eastern Front to its west.The issue of Pak Army being removed only when Indians also remove is a non-starter cuz we will not de-militarise our border.

3) Why am I not surprised.? After all misplaced priorities have been the hall mark of Pakistani establishment since its creation. Dont go into NW.Hell who cares ?? The militants over there dont explode their bombs in any Indian city not do they kill any Indians.It is the Pakistani civilians and the soldiers they kill. Dont go into NW, they will kill more.

Back
Top Bottom