What's new

India is about to spend a ridiculous $500 million on a statue in the middle of the Arabian sea

During vajpayee time there was 1 year old stand off on border but still i think it was vajpayee who could have only solved Indo pak problems. He never did dirty politics. His legacy goes back to the time when even i was not born.

Well, forget Vajpayee, even Manmohan was sympathetic towards Pakistan. But he was paid in the same coin, famously the Mumbai attacks.

You know there is no issue with the civilian government in Pakistan and Modi himself acknowledges this fact. The issue lies with Pakistan military and that is my friend is a government in itself.

Unless there is civilian supremacy in Pakistan Kashmir issue cant be solved.

Will this statue be made in China as well?

http://indianexpress.com/article/in...china-gujarat-govt-says-its-contractors-call/

Statue of Unity to be ‘made in China’, Gujarat govt says it’s contractor’s call
The Statue of Unity is slated to be the world’s tallest statue at 182 metres. For the project, Modi had launched a nationwide farm tool collection drive symbolic of “unifying the country”.
Vadodara/gandhinagar | Updated: October 20, 2015 11:13 am

An artist’s impression
Thousands of Chinese workers are expected to arrive at Sadhu Bet in Narmada district end of this year to begin work on the Statue of Unity, a memorial to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel — a project launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi when he was Gujarat chief minister.

Even as Congress criticised the project as defeating the “Make in India” initiative launched by Modi, after reports that the statue’s bronze parts will be made in a foundry in China, the Gujarat government said it has no control over where the contractor company gets the material from.

The Statue of Unity is slated to be the world’s tallest statue at 182 metres. For the project, Modi had launched a nationwide farm tool collection drive symbolic of “unifying the country”.

Larsen & Toubro (L&T), the company contracted by the Gujarat government for the Rs 3,000-crore project, has sub-leased the “bronze cladding” of the statue to TQ Art Foundry, part of the Jiangxi Toqine Company in Nanchang. Hundreds of Chinese workers are also expected to arrive in Narmada to “assist” L&T in the concrete construction of the statue core.

According to officials of the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Rashtriya Ekta Trust (SVPRET), a special purpose vehicle headed by CM Anandiben Patel, “High quality prototypes of precast facade that will be shipped in from China and assembled at the site.”

Member secretary of SVPRET K Srinivas said, “They (L&T) will be getting 25,000 pieces of bronze from China…The company is free to get the material from the best possible place.”

The steel frame work, also being procured from China, will be “contoured in the form of the statue” and “the cladding will be the facade”.

Emails to Jiangxi Toqine went unanswered, as did phone calls.

Click here to read the Hindi version of the story
Made in China? You have got to be kidding me, and you wonder why the deficit is 50bil USD. Btw, the money could have fed alot of poor ppl. This is like Mao level craziness.

Grand waste of money. Add more seats to IITs or open some polytechnic college with this fund instead and name it Veer Shivaji College of Self Reliance or something similar..

Grand waste of money. Add more seats to IITs or open some polytechnic college with this fund instead and name it Veer Shivaji College of Self Reliance or something similar..

Mam, a lot of brave loyal Muslim Marathas fought alongside Shivaji. This fight was never against Muslims or Islam per se. It was against tyranny. Some of Shivaji's closest aides and confidants, who would protect him with their lives, were Muslim.

Do you say the same thing when the government builds a flyover or a highway or a hospital or a school?

The government is an elected government. It already has the mandate of the people. It does not need to have a poll to act. It represents the people.

And the people have already contributed.

It's called Taxes. Which is what governments around the world use to spend on public works.

They don't go around with a collection box asking for chanda as being suggested.

Your claims are illogical and unreasonable.

WHY should I say the same thing when Govt. builds flyovers, highways, hospitals or schools ? I want them to continue doing that. Not build statues of dead people, but continue to serve the living using public funds.

The debate is not about whether the govt. is elected or unelected. That is a red herring.

The debate is about the moral and ethical dimensions of using public funds in wasteful expenditure, especially in a time when the city is dying, infrastructure is breaking down and standard of living is being compromised everyday.

Govt. is expected to provide and build public UTILITIES with our taxes, not statues.

Otherwise there is no difference between Mayawati and Devendra Fadnavis.

One is a Dalit Icon, one is a Maratha icon. The logic used for building both of them is the same.

DSC03414.JPG

2426093900000578-2879713-image-a-8_1418954932139.jpg

Mam, a lot of brave loyal Muslim Marathas fought alongside Shivaji. This fight was never against Muslims or Islam per se. It was against tyranny.

I have no issues with Statue being of Shivaji. He is indeed the icon of Maharashtra. My only woe is the amount. $500 million can be spent to establish atleast 5 polytechs with 500 seats each. A smaller and cheaper statue will not disrespect someone of Shivaji's stature. People remember Shivaji daily when they take local from Chtrapatti Shivaji Terminus to Thane. Create something which everyone will use daily and you will live forever.

You know, surnames like Tata, Nirma, Bajaj, Dabur are going to remain forever with us because they have made something which all of us use daily. Create 100 polytechs bearing Sihavji and Jijau's name and even the people in remotest corner of Maharashtra if not India will know the name of Shivaji.

Last edited:
Your claims are illogical and unreasonable.

WHY should I say the same thing when Govt. builds flyovers, highways, hospitals or schools ? I want them to continue doing that. Not build statues of dead people, but continue to serve the living using public funds.

The debate is not about whether the govt. is elected or unelected. That is a red herring.

The debate is about the moral and ethical dimensions of using public funds in wasteful expenditure, especially in a time when the city is dying, infrastructure is breaking down and standard of living is being compromised everyday.

Govt. is expected to provide and build public UTILITIES with our taxes, not statues.

Otherwise there is no difference between Mayawati and Devendra Fadnavis.

One is a Dalit Icon, one is a Maratha icon. The logic used for building both of them is the same.

DSC03414.JPG

2426093900000578-2879713-image-a-8_1418954932139.jpg

Fadnavis is a Maharashtrian dehshast Brahmin.

What next ? 1000m high shivling? Then we would officially have the biggest dick in the world, while hungry illiterates go on a rampage for playing national anthem before taking a piss.
If that is what the electorate wants and votes for a Government who wishes it then very resoundingly - Yes.

The people made their choices clear and voted in a Government. It has a mandate. You are no one now to decide on whether the State of Maharashtra wants to build the worlds biggest dick or build the worlds biggest stables.

If you are a registered voter of Maharashtra, then kindly vote for Congress or any other party of your choosing that is opposed to this move. Till then..

Consider this. We are erecting a statue of a warrior king because of whom India continues to still follow its ancestral culture and faith proudly. The last and only unbroken living ancient civilization in the world.

A man because of whom the Indian civilization did not go the way of the once great Persian civilization.

I believe all of India should gladly and voluntarily come together and pay for this. Not just Maharashtra. Coz he was not just a Maratha king. He was the champion of all of India.
I am not a Marathi. I deplore the fact that you even had to say that "not just Maharashtra". It is time we move beyond petty issues of who is born of what ethnicity. As an Indian, all ethnicities of India are equally my heritage.

I support this move whole heartedly. There is nothing wrong in celebrating our history and culture in the way of our choosing and building something that is very clearly will become the landmark of Mumbai and Maharashtra.

Last edited:
I am not a Marathi. I deplore the fact that you even had to say that "not just Maharashtra". It is time we move beyond petty issues of who is of what ethnicity. As an Indian, all ethnicities of India are equally my heritage.

I support this move whole heartedly. There is nothing wrong in celebrating our history and culture in the way of our choosing and building something that is very clearly will become the landmark of Mumbai and Maharashtra.

There are some people who say that New york is famous because of "statue of liberty".

But the sensible people will always say that the Statue of Liberty is famous because its in New York. A staue of liberty in Ouagadougou will fade away into oblivion.

Pakistani's say that India is because of "Indus". They don't realize that Indus is famous because of India. Otherwise its just another river in the world.

If you want to make Shivaji remembered for eternity then make Mumbai into a Landmark. Not build a landmark in mumbai.

There are some people who say that New york is famous because of "statue of liberty".

But the sensible people will always say that the Statue of Liberty is famous because its in New York. A staue of liberty in Ouagadougou will fade away into oblivion.

Pakistani's say that India is because of "Indus". They don't realize that Indus is famous because of India. Otherwise its just another river in the world.

If you want to make Shivaji remembered for eternity then make Mumbai into a Landmark. Not build a landmark in mumbai.
I partially agree with you.
And yet Seoul is not famous despite being a world class city with all amenities, being the capital and a thriving tech research city.

So I suppose it cuts both ways.

I partially agree with you.
And yet Seoul is not famous despite being a world class city with all amenities, being the capital and a thriving tech research city.

So I suppose it cuts both ways.

There are plenty of world class cities in the world. Landmarks do not make them any more famous or infamous.

Worlds class cities are formed when they provide a freedom, facilities, oppertunity and platform for international citizens to come, work and play.

New York, London, Dubai, Singapore, Hong Kong have this in common.

No amount of Shivaji statue is going to change that.

There are plenty of world class cities in the world. Landmarks do not make them any more famous or infamous.

Worlds class cities are formed when they provide a freedom, facilities, oppertunity and platform for international citizens to come, work and play.

New York, London, Dubai, Singapore, Hong Kong have this in common.

No amount of Shivaji statue is going to change that.
I disagree.
Landmarks are structures that get ingrained in public consciousness because of visual media nowadays. The media industry starts using these landmarks and builds narratives around them.

All the factors that you mention are equally important as well.

One without the other will lead to Pyongyang with Kim jong un's statues and conversely without landmarks, a city can be like Seoul which despite having everything except global landmark will never become a famous city.

I disagree.
Landmarks are structures that get ingrained in public consciousness because of visual media nowadays. The media industry starts using these landmarks and builds narratives around them.

All the factors that you mention are equally important as well.

One without the other will lead to Pyongyang with Kim jong un's statues and conversely without landmarks, a city can be like Seoul which despite having everything except global landmark will never become a famous city.

I can guarantee you that even a 1 Billion $ Shivaji statue is not going to make Mumbai any more famous, only Infamous.

A Lipstick on a Pig does not make a miss universe. Because that is what we are attempting here.

As long as this exist, there is no scope for a 500 million $ statue. Its simple as that. (I am sorry to have to post this)

Cj8GhacUUAAB_q8.jpg

People using Gutters and open sewage system to travel.

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom