What's new

India chickens out of international students assessment programme again

It's clear that u don't know cr@p about olympiads. Indiavidual participants get gold medals and silver / bronze medals for the number of questions solved. Just because some country had the highest score doesn't mean none of the other particiapants won anything..

Try harder next time false flag kid :wave:

OK

Gold medalists 2012 in IPhO
2 Germans
1 Indian
5 Chinese
Even tiny Singapore has 4 :)

Gold medalists 2012 in IMO
2 Indians
0 Germans :cry:
5 Chinese

Gold medalists 2012 in IChO
3 Indians
1 German
5 Chinese

Götterdämmerung;4356389 said:
OK

Gold medalists 2012 in IPhO
2 Germans
1 Indian
5 Chinese
Even tiny Singapore has 4 :)

Gold medalists 2012 in IMO
2 Indians
0 Germans :cry:
5 Chinese

Gold medalists 2012 in IChO
3 Indians
1 German
5 Chinese

what is your point ? Indians always get some gold medals. We accept that we were not chart toppers. But not having the max no of people in gold medallist list doesnot mean we are dumbos !

This is very unfortunate.

Even though there is no short-term solution for this, We should have gone for the country wide assessment.

PISA test are far more important than the Olympiads as they test basic application what is learnt in school to real life problems.

Even if the current Govt is voted out, i am not sure if the Modi Govt may pay attention to this issue.

I volunteer for teaching kids basic english and not surprised with 2007 PISA scores.

Poor scores in PISA could have been the one important impetus to change education system in India.

Even though there is no short-term solution for this, We should have gone for the country wide assessment.

PISA test are far more important than the Olympiads as they test basic application what is learnt in school to real life problems.

Even if the current Govt is voted out, i am not sure if the Modi Govt may pay attention to this issue.

I volunteer for teaching kids basic english and not surprised with 2007 PISA scores.

You are the only Indian so far who understands the importance of PISA. The other rather stick their heads in sand.

The "average level" which you are trying to ascertain is pointless in a HUGE country like India. Even if you keep stringest of the stringent criteria to pass an exam, I am sure u will find tonnes of smart chaps. These people are in sufficient numbers to fill up the challenging positions be it in govt office or corporate field.

Also even if u keep the easiest criteria, u will find thousands of students flunking.. Point is the average hardly matters when required no of smart people are present as much as needed in the industry !

Götterdämmerung;4356412 said:
You are the only Indian so far who understands the importance of PISA. The other rather stick their heads in sand.

And you are not the only false flag here that trumpets these things.

The "average level" which you are trying to ascertain is pointless in a HUGE country like India. Even if you keep stringest of the stringent criteria to pass an exam, I am sure u will find tonnes of smart chaps. These people are in sufficient numbers to fill up the challenging positions be it in govt office or corporate field.

Also even if u keep the easiest criteria, u will find thousands of students flunking.. Point is the average hardly matters when required no of smart people are present as much as needed in the industry !

I politely disagree with your point.

Rather than banking on the few elite (no doubt in lakhs) we should aim for every child in the nation to attain basic level of education.

Its true there is an overwhelming number of graduates. ex a Ford Chennai was flooded with 11,000 applicants for 4 posts.

It is also true, the most of these graduates need training before taking up job responsibilities i.e problem with the quality of education.

Götterdämmerung;4356441 said:
I just reread the article again. No where I could find my name mentioned. Well, if that makes you sleep well and PISA vanish out of your world, so be it. :)

I would not obsess so much about PISA scores. Especially not for a foreign country.

Yes, it does show the need for improvement in our education system. No denial.

Indians have proven their superior credential in education the world over. It is a matter of investment and priority and both are happening and will improve with time.

India chickens out of international students assessment programme again - The Times of India Hemali Chhapia, TNN | Jun 1, 2013, 04.06 AM IST

zir0DBq.jpg

(Thanks Martin for the news article)

Brilliant indian kids have no interest in these kind of evaluations coz they are not gonna get any jobs out of these.Smart indian kids only prepare for IIT JEE , AIEEE, AIPMT exams so that they can get into career oriented courses.That is the reason why u find more indian CEO s of global co.s
I think these d!ck measuring competition are betr left for west n far east ppl.we are not interested.period.

I am sure GOI has a proper planning behind this, Indians are very good at logic, mathematics and science.

We have got best brains in the world, unlike factory workers.

there is no doubt there are many a successful Indian students such as yourself. however, the overall education level in India is still quite low, something even the elite pool cannot balance out.

the PISA tests are specifically targeted at average students, and they can be a wake up call for Indian politicians to spend more efforts on average Indian students, sadly the Indian government and some members here took it as an insult.

I dont know how is all this possible. When I came to Canada after doing my grade 10 in India I was put into high school. I did my grade 11 and 12 here and frankly it was a breeze. I almost skipped all the my classes and still gotv 94%. Got into the best engineering school in Canada with a scholorship. I had simply no trouble due to strong basics from India.

Exactly after grade 10 all Indian students care about is the IIT exam which by FARRR is the toughest entrance exam in the world. They don't care about olympiads or PISA etc etc. I didn't even know they these things existed.

I think the decision to take PISA test should be left to education boards in India and not the government.

For example, if ICSE board wants to take the test, all schools affiliated to ICSE should be made to take it and average marks for ICSE schools published. Similarly for CBSE board schools and various other state boards.

This will help different education boards to standardize their curriculum and improve in the areas where they lack.

I am almost certain that ICSE and CBSE school kids would score much better in PISA test as compared to other state board kids. Not because state board students are dumber, but simplybecause state education boards are not as stringent when it comes to enforcing the curriculum.

Back
Top Bottom