What's new

India Can Develop A Space Station, Says ISRO Chief

ito

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/indi...s-isro-chief-1661593?pfrom=home-lateststories

INDORE:
HIGHLIGHTS
  1. ISRO chief says India has capability to develop research base in space
  2. Needs long-term approach but ISRO ready if plan is okayed, he says
  3. ISRO won international praise by launching 104 satellites on one rocket

Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) chairman AS Kiran Kumar today said India has the capability to develop a space station, but it needed a long-term approach and ambitious planning. His comment follows ISRO display of technological prowess last week by launching 104 satellites in a single mission.

"We have all the capabilities to set up a space station. The day the country takes the decision, we will 'okay' the project. Just draw a policy and provide us necessary funds and time," Mr Kumar said.

He was in Indore to attend the foundation day ceremony of Raja Ramanna Center for Advanced Technology (RRCAT).

isro-launches-104-satellites-pti_650x400_61487158291.jpg

ISRO launched 104 satellites on a single rocket last week.

"We still talk about what would be the immediate benefits of a manned space mission. That is why the country hasn't made up its mind about when to invest in a space station," he said. A long-term thinking was needed for setting up a space station, he said, adding "the sooner the better".

Mr Kumar said ISRO was also mulling tying up with the industry to enhance the country's satellite launching capability.

Many more satellites were needed to keep a tab on the land and weather conditions and to enhance the communication network, he said.

This would be possible with increase in the number of satellite launches, for which the country needed to enhance the basic infrastructure and reduce the cost of equipment, he added.

The number of companies manufacturing small satellites has gone up across the world, but these companies could not launch them, therefore this area had immense commercial potential and India could tap it by enhancing the launch facilities, the ISRO chief said

India can develop space station, says ISRO chief
57258216.cms
ISRO Chairman AS Kiran Kumar in Indore. (TOI Photo)
HIGHLIGHTS
  • ISRO chairman A S Kiran Kumar said the country has the capability to develop a space station
  • His comment follows ISRO display of technological prowess last week by launching 104 satellites in one go
  • A long-term thinking was needed for setting up a space station, he said, adding "the sooner the better."
INDORE: Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) chairman A S Kiran Kumar on Monday said the country has the capability to develop a space station, but it needed a long launching 104 satellites in a single mission.
"We have all the capabilities to set up a space station. The day the country takes the decision, we will 'ok' the project. Just draw a policy and provide us necessary funds and time," Kumar said here.
He was in Indore to attend the foundation day ceremony of Raja Ramanna Center for Advanced Technology (RRCAT).
"We still talk about what would be the immediate benefits of a manned space mission. That is why the country hasn't made up its mind about when to invest in a space station," he said.
A long-term thinking was needed for setting up a space station, he said, adding "the sooner the better."
Kumar said ISRO was also mulling tying up with the industry to enhance the country's satellite launching capability.
Many more satellites were needed to keep a tab on the land and weather conditions and to enhance the communication network, he said.
This would be possible with increase in the number of satellite launches, for which the country needed to enhance the basic infrastructure and reduce the cost of equipment, he added.
The number of companies manufacturing small satellites has gone up across the world, but these companies could not launch them, therefore this area had immense commercial potential and India could tap it by enhancing the launch facilities, the ISRO chief said.

I don't think a space station should be a priority,that should be increasing launch payload to 10 tonnes and manned space mission

What's the use of space station if they are downplaying manned missions

Its an utter waste of money, engineering hasn't advanced to such a degree that we can miniaturize and increase the efficiency of everything on a Space Station. Too much goes in maintenance and upkeep.
The experiments done may be priceless for humans but its just not cost effective yet.
ISS and the Chinese station are somehow dragging their feet.

We should eventually do this, only when it is not a massive burden on the taxpayer.
ISRO I feel knows this.

What's the use of space station if they are downplaying manned missions
Who told you they are downplaying?
That was a 2 years old thread.

Indian HSP program is very much alive.

Pad Abort test is coming this year.

I know that putting other forums is usually a violation of rule but still I'm putting, my apologies.
http://indiandefence.com/threads/indian-human-spaceflight-program-hsp.57309/

Seriously, who spread this rumour that India has closed manned space program?:hitwall:

Ignore the trolls. They need burnol

I mean, probably; India's space program is rapidly making gains. The question is more 'how much and how long'?

No point unless you understand what he is implying.

In the article he is talking about a "manned space station", but ISRO has said they won't even begin testing for manned spaceflight until 2024 at the earliest.

Though to be fair I think India's focus on commercial satellite launching is a good idea. It seems very profitable.

In the article he is talking about a "manned space station", but ISRO has said they won't even begin testing for manned spaceflight until 2024 at the earliest.

Though to be fair I think India's focus on commercial satellite launching is a good idea. It seems very profitable.

The above news along with the below posted link might help you in understanding the context.

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/isro-tests-indias-largest-cryogenic-engine-for-400-ton-rocket-1660935

Exactly that is what the ISRO is focusing. I would like ISRO to send its own samll earth observation satellites like planet earth for commercial purpose.

Back
Top Bottom