What's new

India builds 10,000 homes for IDPs in Sri Lanka

IndoCarib

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
The Indian government built 10,000 houses this year for internally displaced people in Sri Lanka's northern and eastern provinces and 33,000 more will be constructed in the next two years. The housing project funded by New Delhi made significant progress during 2013, the Indian High Commission said in Colombo on Tuesday.

"The second phase of the Indian Housing Project, involving the construction of 43,000 housing units for IDPs in the Northern and Eastern Provinces, which is being implemented in consultation with...the Government of Sri Lanka, has made significant progress by attaining the target of completing 10,000 new houses during 2013," a statement said.

It said 16,000 more houses are expected to be completed during 2014, and the remaining 17,000 houses will be built in 2015. In the east, the housing project was launched in May and 66 houses have been completed so far while 400 more are nearing completion.

The construction of 43,000 houses for resettling and rehabilitating people displaced during the ethnic war in Sri Lanka is part of India's overall commitment to build 50,000 houses, which was announced by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in June 2010.

The third phase of the housing project, involving the construction of 4,000 houses for Indian-origin estate workers of Central and Uva Provinces, will be taken up by April 2014. The fourth phase will be launched in the northern and eastern provinces for the most vulnerable conflict displaced people next year.

The project is being implemented with full grant assistance from India, with the total outlay of Rs 1,372 crore making it one of the largest grant assistance projects undertaken by the government in any country, the High Commission said.

India builds 10,000 homes for IDPs in Sri Lanka

@Skyline do you have a link to support you claim?

Here is the "official" indian high commision of srilanka page:

http://www.irinnews.org/report/95074/sri-lanka-indian-boost-for-idp-housing

...The construction of 49,000 houses for resettlement and rehabilitation of IDPs in Sri Lanka is part of the overall commitment to build 50,000 houses announced by India's Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in June 2010....

misleading heading. India isn't building new 50,000 houses....they plan to build around 6000 new homes + planned to repair damage homes. They have announced this some years ago but only around 600 has finished yet.

Prove your claim with links :cheers:

You always deny the Indian claims as usual :cheers:

misleading heading. India isn't building new 50,000 houses....they plan to build around 6000 new homes + planned to repair damage homes. They have announced this some years ago but only around 600 has finished yet.
1388546936_6723488_hirunews_HOUSE.jpg

10184 houses have been completed in 2013
16000 houses to be completed in 2014
17000 houses to be completed in 2015

India completes over 10,000 houses for Sri Lankan IDPs this year

Prove your claim with links :cheers:

You always deny the Indian claims as usual :cheers:

I have mentioned this few times on this forum, Indian claim of they are building 50000 new homes is false! New homes number is around 6000, all other homes are repairs.

@Sliver @my2cents

From the Sri Lankan gov official site.
The second phase of the Indian housing project

"The second phase of the Indian housing project for the construction and repair of 43,000 housing units in the Northern and Eastern Provinces was launched in the presence of Senior Advisor to the President, Economic Development Minister Basil Rajapaksa, Indian High Commissioner Ashok K. Kantha and Industry and Commerce Minister Rishad Bathiudeen through events organised at Periyamadhu, Mallavi and Eluthumadduval in Mannar, Mullaithivu and Jaffna districts respectively."

.....if you go through the article, you can find how much they are spending for a new house and repair of the house.

"The second phase of the Project adopts an owner-driven methodology, under which owner-beneficiaries are involved in the process of construction. A cash grant of LKR 550,000 (approx. INR 230,000) is being provided for construction of a new house in instalments linked to progress in construction.

A cash grant of up to LKR 250,000 (approx. INR 104,000) will be provided for repair of a housing units based on actual assessment of damage."

I have mentioned this few times on this forum, Indian claim of they are building 50000 new homes is false! New homes number is around 6000, all other homes are repairs.

@Sliver @my2cents

From the Sri Lankan gov official site.
The second phase of the Indian housing project

"The second phase of the Indian housing project for the construction and repair of 43,000 housing units in the Northern and Eastern Provinces was launched in the presence of Senior Advisor to the President, Economic Development Minister Basil Rajapaksa, Indian High Commissioner Ashok K. Kantha and Industry and Commerce Minister Rishad Bathiudeen through events organised at Periyamadhu, Mallavi and Eluthumadduval in Mannar, Mullaithivu and Jaffna districts respectively."

.....if you go through the article, you can find how much they are spending for a new house and repair of the house.

"The second phase of the Project adopts an owner-driven methodology, under which owner-beneficiaries are involved in the process of construction. A cash grant of LKR 550,000 (approx. INR 230,000) is being provided for construction of a new house in instalments linked to progress in construction.

A cash grant of up to LKR 250,000 (approx. INR 104,000) will be provided for repair of a housing units based on actual assessment of damage."

Thanks for the clarification but your initial assessment of only 600 homes being built is misleading. So far INR 355 crores has been allocated directly to about 10000 beneficiaries which comes to INR 3.55 lac per housing unit.

Thanks for the clarification but your initial assessment of only 600 homes being built is misleading. So far INR 355 crores has been allocated directly to about 10000 beneficiaries which comes to INR 3.55 lac per housing unit.

I've mentioned the newly built homes number is around 600. I'm aware they are building another 600-800 homes, so total may be around 1200-1400 at moment. (but second round houses are not given to people yet)

It is not possible to make a home for 5.5 Lakhs LKR in Sri Lanka, just ask from any Sri Lankan or Google. :D

Last edited:
o_O

Whom are Indians building all these houses for ??

According to the Peelamists, Homeless terrorists and Madrasis, The Lankans are committing "genocide"on their Tamils.. Will there be any left to occupy them ??

I've mentioned the newly built homes number is around 600. I'm aware they are building another 600-800 homes, so total may be around 1200-1400 at moment. (but second round houses are not given to people yet)

It is not possible to make a home for 5.5 Lakhs LKR in Sri Lanka, just ask from any Sri Lankan or Google. :D

My understanding is that the beneficiaries are putting their effort into building their houses on own land. The list of beneficiaries of first phase is provided for transparency and you can find it below link.

Welcome to High Commission of India, Colombo - Sri Lanka

10184 houses were completed in the Northern Province during 2013, out of which 1832 were in Jaffna district, 3090 houses in Kilinochchi district, 3540 in Mullaitivu district, 1074 in Mannar district, and 648 in Vavuniya district.

In the Eastern Province, 66 houses were completed in Batticaloa district. In addition, 100 houses have been taken up for repairs by providing an assistance of LKR 2,50,000/- for each house.
10,250 Houses completed in Sri Lanka under the Indian Housing Project in 2013 | Asian Tribune

so you find the help less? or you are ridiculing the help? I havent seen a "recognition" or "appreciation" for it from you.

India and China have turned into helping their neighbors and other countries. By ridiculing the help you are only insulting the good gestures and friendly gestures. Request you to kindly take notice of the good intentions and the amount of help being given.

so you find the help less? or you are ridiculing the help? I havent seen a "recognition" or "appreciation" for it from you.

India and China have turned into helping their neighbors and other countries. By ridiculing the help you are only insulting the good gestures and friendly gestures. Request you to kindly take notice of the good intentions and the amount of help being given.

We thankful to every country.
Indian helping hand is more word gaming in here though.

Back
Top Bottom