What's new

India: Brothers share wife to secure family land

Exploitation..!!! Didnt you know that muslims are allowed to have more than 1 wife. Is that exploitation??? it depends on how you look at it.?? it may be disgusting and a practise which should be surely done away with... but definitely not exploitation if it is done by mutual consent..as is the case here..!!!:disagree:
Islam in fact is the only religion that says Marry only once. There is a provision under some extreme circumstances that is exploited by certain people.

Both practices are equally wrong.

The case of woman is different from men. A woman is different from man biologically and psychologically. A woman has already a lot of responsiblites of her home husband and children. It is a great burden on her to take care the needs and desires of more than one husband. This is a tradition in India which I again say expoliting woman increasing her responsiblites. Expolitation for d sake of or saving a piece of land. She is sacrificed for the piece of land among brothers.
Ummm this is also incest, BROTHERS are sharing a wife.

A wife can have more than 1 husband if she is capable of doing justice between her husbands both physically morally mentally financially etc. etc. lol (pun intended)
f16 You know the whole idea of having more than 1 husband or wife is personal issue but as on personal basis its kind of disgusting and kind of downgrade the relation of wife and husband.:cheers:

and I'm pretty sure you know that vice a versa justice is impossible both clinically and naturally(no pun intended)
BTW I agree on the "personal issue" thing.

The case of woman is different from men. A woman is different from man biologically and psychologically. A woman has already a lot of responsiblites of her home husband and children. It is a great burden on her to take care the needs and desires of more than one husband. This is a tradition in India which I again say expoliting woman increasing her responsiblites. Expolitation for d sake of or saving a piece of land. She is sacrificed for the piece of land among brothers.

And what will you call 'having 4 wives'? Naturally, no wife gets due attention and her marriage life is just screwed up! Saying "having multiple wives is ok" just because it is tradition in Islam is wrong.

Ummm this is also incest, BROTHERS are sharing a wife.

No, it would have been if the brothers were doing it with each other!! :crazy:

But anyways.. both way (man with many wives or woman with many husband).. it, sort of, feels unatural!!

Last edited:
I don't think you can say having more than one wife is a problem or a tradition amongst Indian (or Pakistani) Muslims. Hindus have been found to practise polygamy more than Muslims in those countries.

I think that polygamy is frowned upon in Islam. My opinion.

Polyandry has been practiced in various forms in many parts of the world, wherever there is a dearth of women and groups of population are secluded. For example that it is well known that polyandry is still practiced in parts of Tibet and in Nepal. In South India the Nayar cast is reputed to practice polyandry as well.

Don’t know what is the situation now, but it was said that polyandry among the brothers was common among the Sikh Jats in the pre partition Punjab. There was a joke that when one Jat boys is married all the brothers are married. I remember reading a book by an English lady married into a Sikh Jat family wherein she mentions this practice as quite prevalent. The reason was to avoid the division of family land holding between the brothers.

No doubt in all religions which are related to Moses Ten Commandments, such as Judaism, Christianity and Islam, polyandry is strictly forbidden. Reason being deciding paternity of the child; inheritance depended upon it, especially it if it is male child. In Islam the period of 90 days “Iddat” following the death of husband or divorce is also for this very purpose.

Experience of thousand years must have taught ancient population basic principles of genetics and social problems such as jealousy arising out of polyandry, probably why it is not allowed in most cultures. That is also why sex/ marriage between close relatives (even among first cousins in some cases) also forbidden.

Social attitudes also affect how we look at various acts. For example Sodomy is strictly
forbidden in Islam and considered a grave sin; even then it is not condemned as much as adultery. Similarly, two brothers marrying one woman would be abhorrent to Muslims, whereas some cultures may consider marrying two wives equally bad.

Even though I would personally not sanction or condone it; I would consider judging other people with my view of morality inappropriate.

Last edited:
Well, polygamy wasn't any issue when mankind was not aware of living settled life and accumulating property.

But when it started, naturally, the problem arose was "how to transfer the property to the children?". It was easy to know the mother of the child, but it was nearly impossible to know the father in case the mother has 'mated' with more than one male.This led to the system of having only one husband to a woman.

Now, due to various reasons, the mortality rate was high in older days (especially among men, because they fought the wars). So, the gender ratio was not even. Also, fast reproduction was needed. Females had the limitations in taking part into process because of the pregnancy period. This led to the system of a man having multiple wives.

But today, as these reasons disappear and the humanity is more civilized, there should be only one spouse to one person.

Hindus and Christians have changed themselves (with some unfortunate exceptions, which will decrease with time). When the Muslims are going to change?

Back
Top Bottom