What's new

India: 800 million people will get wheat at half dollar for 10 kg

Bhai Zakir

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India

The union cabinet Wednesday approved the food security ordinance. The ordinance has to be passed in both the houses of parliament within six months.

The Food Security Bill aims to provide subsidised food grain to around 67% of India's 1.2 billion people. Around 800 million people would thus get the subsidised food grain at an initial cost of around Rs1.3 lakh crore to the government.

Cabinet approves food security ordinance - India - DNA

US$ 24 billion each year to provide subsidized food grain to around 67% of Indians

World's largest food security programme

The Ordinance, which will guarantee 5 kg of rice, wheat and coarse cereals per month per person at a fixed price of Rs 3, 2, 1, respectively.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/cabinet-clears-ordinance-to-implement-worlds-largest-food-security-programme/1137235/

Though this is good initiative, however am sure corruption would mean that only 10-20% of i twill reach the real needy. Indeed i remember buying bread in England which was cheaper than India (Tesco 9 pence), however how much of this subsidy will reach end consumers is something to be worried about.

Though this is good initiative, however am sure corruption would mean that only 10-20% of i twill reach the real needy. Indeed i remember buying bread in England which was cheaper than India (Tesco 9 pence), however how much of this subsidy will reach end consumers is something to be worried about.

when was that? now its 1 to 1.50 for a pack..

This is pure election game...$24 billion per year is huge burden on economy.....

Giving almost free food means ...poor people will only work for local alcohol.

Corruption will get another opportunity to enjoy...

and India will go back to 1990 condition

The union cabinet Wednesday approved the food security ordinance. The ordinance has to be passed in both the houses of parliament within six months.

The Food Security Bill aims to provide subsidised food grain to around 67% of India's 1.2 billion people. Around 800 million people would thus get the subsidised food grain at an initial cost of around Rs1.3 lakh crore to the government.

US$ 24 billion each year to provide subsidized food grain to around 67% of Indians

The Ordinance, which will guarantee 5 kg of rice, wheat and coarse cereals per month per person at a fixed price of Rs 3, 2, 1, respectively.

Cabinet clears Ordinance to implement world's largest food security programme - Indian Express

What they won't tell is how this will affect our Fiscal deficit.Already the spending is out of control.What can we expect from this fiscally irresponsible Govt.

What they won't tell is how this will affect our Fiscal deficit.Already the spending is out of control.What can we expect from this fiscally irresponsible Govt.

1. The import of Gold accounts for about 48% of fiscal deficit if govt. controls it then we can manage.

2. The import of coal is another big burden on the Forex reserves we can liberate environmental clearance for domestic coals and can check this menace.

3. This free food will control the malnutrition, poverty and Maoists.

1. The import of Gold accounts for about 48% of fiscal deficit if govt. controls it then we can manage.

2. The import of coal is another big burden on the Forex reserves we can liberate environmental clearance for domestic coals and can check this menace.

You are mixing current account deficit with fiscal deficit.

And there is another thread active on this topic.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/centra...ndia-launches-giant-cheap-food-programme.html

Cabinet clears Ordinance to implement world's largest food security programme - Indian Express

Lo ji... get ready to pay additional cess on our taxes.

20% Indians paying the price for 80% non performing assets in India.

You are talking about current account deficit.I am talking about deficit between Govt revenue and spending its already at 4.8% way above the sustainable level of 3%.I order to make up this deficit Govt will make short term borrowing and lot of this borrowing will come form overseas in dollar denominated assets.Now already have a high CAD and the already Rupee is dropping.At the same time we gonna have to manage this debt.This will put additional pressure on Rupee.These are simply reckless moves.UPA Govt's out of control spending is and poicy paralysis are the biggest reasons we are in this mess right now.And Trust me this free food policy will lead to collosal wastage of money and massive scams.

Being in govt administrative dept and with my few years of observation i found all these schemes very irritating ..normal Youth especially of sc/st category forgot to work years ago ..they do everything apart from productive job ..they will get free house to stay ..they are getting almost free ration ..thousands of govt schemes are there to entertain their other needs ..half day of daily wage will fetch them ration of whole month ..they rarely work these days ..its not generalisation but my observation

Helping the poorest of the poor should be a priority of the state AND the Union Government... it will not only save hungry people, especially children who will later might become a valuable asset but it will also automatically add to stability in some areas...

But in the end it depends on how honest it will be carried out.

The delivery mechanism must be clean and corruption free. In order the services reach the poor correctly.

How wonderful .....raising an entire nation of Beggars............a whole 800 million of them.

Why teach a man to fish when you can feed him for half a dollar .....new maxim for the congress.

Back
Top Bottom