What's new

IMF agrees to extend the stalled bailout programme by up to one year and increase the loan size to $8 billion

There is ALWAYS a choice. It is just that following that choice of not going to the IMF requires bigger cojones than are available in all of Pakistan.
In the long term, the aim is not to have to make the choice. In the short to medium term it’s either this or your masses starve. Not much of a choice on the latter.

I blame governments and the powerful for putting us in the position. Not for going to the IMF when there’s no choice.

In the long term, the aim is not to have to make the choice. In the short to medium term it’s either this or your masses starve. Not much of a choice on the latter.

I blame governments and the powerful for putting us in the position. Not for going to the IMF when there’s no choice.

At the risk of sounding heartless, there have been many famines throughout human history. What's one more? At some point, the reckoning is inevitable.

At the risk of sounding heartless, there have been many famines throughout human history. What's one more? At some point, the reckoning is inevitable.
Our region saw multiple policy induced famines, British still ruled us. But yes I agree, a reckoning has to happen sometime.
This always reminds me of that quote from Mark Blyth, advising the elite that the Hamptons are not a defensible position. Substitute US elites for ours, substitute the Hamptons for DHA, red zones, misc gated community.

Our region saw multiple policy induced famines, British still ruled us. But yes I agree, a reckoning has to happen sometime.
This always reminds me of that quote from Mark Blyth, advising the elite that the Hamptons are not a defensible position. Substitute US elites for ours, substitute the Hamptons for DHA, red zones, misc gated community.

The parallels are there for the wise to heed to, if only they would. That is all I can say here.

There is plenty of money in Pakistan to feed 220 million with rice and lentils. I suspect the common man wants more

Macro = Big
Macro Economics = Economics measured by national indices like GDP, unemployment, inflation etc. There is a lot more to it, but I'm not going to write an essay.
Macro Economic reforms are reforms that have an impact on these macro economic indices. In NA, the signing of NAFTA can be a macro economic reform. For India - abolishment of license raj, disinvestment and tax law changes that allows for FDI etc. are in the category.

For Pakistan, you'll have to state policy changes on that scale which have impacted the national economic indices. Many here have advertised GDP numbers as proof for Imran's 'policies' without stating actual policy. Only policy that has been touted repeatedly is the near market exchange rate of PKR. There could be plenty of alternate explanations for the bump in GDP (like rebasing) and growth (like pandemic rebound). They are not taken into account. My only knowledge of Pakistani economy is what is posted here. I've not seen much of real policy (from Imran) that has impacted the macro economy of Pakistan.

PS: These are not questions that PTI supporters are expected to answer random people on the internet like me. But it would be good if these questions are raised for them to know that they are relevant.
So by reform, you mean passing bills that stop certain taxes and support certain sectors? This pretty generic - one could point to the support provided to textiles, TERF, the cash distribution relief during Covid lockdowns, IT sector support, support for construction and housing sector. Those all had measurable effects that you can see in the official data.

The biggest reform is of course the free float of the rupee. For your information, imf always asks govts to do this but no previous govt has obliged. Credit where credit is due. The thing with a free float is any depreciation has a two year life cycle before it starts showing dividends (this is called the J-curve in economics https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/J_curve)

So the devaluation in the beginning of PTI term is only affecting exports now- this can be measured by various econometric techniques but you would have to know something of that topic.

1651071833775.png

Due to long-standing unresolved systemic issues, Pakistan ends up at IMF's door every few years. You are 100% right that USA needs not conspire against Pakistan. There are plenty of control levers with which to compel Pakistan to act a certain way. Therefore, any attempt on Pakistan's part to resist dictation is to resolve systemic issues, which nobody has the stomach to do, not IK at least. That is why Kurrupshun chooran was necessary for as long as it could capture people's attention; now that it no longer does so, a new conspiracy chooran has been launched to replace it.

Until & unless Pakistan is able to restructure taxation, policy-making, & focus on HDI, there is no hope for much improvement. That is why I do not consider PML-N as a viable alternative either, because just like PPP & PTI, this too is a political party of status-quo, stuffed with similar rent-seeking elite which feeds off lop-sided policies that enrich the said elite.

On top of this systemic issue, we have yet another, much bigger one - who gets to run Pakistan? Militablishment or civilian political leaders as per the constitution? We are still trying to resolve this quandary as of yet. Only once we have resolved this can we focus on the urgent systemic issues. Why so? Because the above mentioned systemic issues are inextricably linked with it. For example, who will make policy to prioritize HDI, without which economy can not sustainably grow? How will budgetary allocations be made to achieve this? Which budgets to cut in order to balance the taxation & expenditure, or at least bring some semblance of fiscal discipline?

If PTI did nothing to address either civ-mil dynamic (actually made it worse IMV) and/or address systemic issues relating to economy, then the whole brouhaha about a conspiracy falls flat on its face. When nothing was done to get out of a trap, what use crying about being in it?

In 1998, when Pakistan did go against US dictation & suffered the economic consequences, it was a chance to set right some of the systemic issues. It also shows where & to what extent Pakistan can take a stand & what price will we as a nation be willing to pay. Without such a view crying about a set of events that may or may not be connected to a conspiracy is pointless & mere political posturing for narrow & selfish purposes.

PS> Thank you @Areesh for your laughing emoji reaction. Its like a stamp of approval :-)
Well first you need to understand that PTI was barely in power for just 3.5 years and that too with thin majority. Isnt this the same choran used by every party for their failure to reform Pakistan? PPP keeps Karachi as hostage because Military did so and so? PMLN could never bring our education system on par with India because of military ? I understand Civil Military is an issue, but for Pakistanis this is just another chooran. I am probably used to the kurupshun and conspiracy chooran, where as PMLN folks have a taste for Bajwa chooran etc.

What we have in the assembly right now a disgusting combination of elites hell bent on making Pakistan their personal property - lets start: Father PM and then Son is CM of Punjab? Is this the end result of a 20 year democratic struggle of PMLN? A 30 year old with no expertise as a FM of nation of 200 million? A govt built on 10 plus parties and turn coats of PTI who were openly bought out with bribes (no I don’t buy zameer ki awaz chooran here).
A govt and party is supposed to give a semblance of hope and at least maintain a facade of morality and dignity. None of the issues you mentioned can be solved or even attempted to be solved in the next 1.5 years. The only purpose I see is the corrupt elite banding together to get rid of their cases and some how just get rid of IK- there is no interest of Pakistan in anyones calculations.

Well first you need to understand that PTI was barely in power for just 3.5 years and that too with thin majority. Isnt this the same choran used by every party for their failure to reform Pakistan? PPP keeps Karachi as hostage because Military did so and so? PMLN could never bring our education system on par with India because of military ? I understand Civil Military is an issue, but for Pakistanis this is just another chooran. I am probably used to the kurupshun and conspiracy chooran, where as PMLN folks have a taste for Bajwa chooran etc.

What we have in the assembly right now a disgusting combination of elites hell bent on making Pakistan their personal property - lets start: Father PM and then Son is CM of Punjab? Is this the end result of a 20 year democratic struggle of PMLN? A 30 year old with no expertise as a FM of nation of 200 million? A govt built on 10 plus parties and turn coats of PTI who were openly bought out with bribes (no I don’t buy zameer ki awaz chooran here).
A govt and party is supposed to give a semblance of hope and at least maintain a facade of morality and dignity. None of the issues you mentioned can be solved or even attempted to be solved in the next 1.5 years. The only purpose I see is the corrupt elite banding together to get rid of their cases and some how just get rid of IK- there is no interest of Pakistan in anyones calculations.
So, in short you are agreeing with me here on all the major points. The central point, though, was that PTI & its partisans are making hue & cry over Amreeki Saazish, which frankly is not needed at all to screw Pakistan as a country, since no one is actually doing something to arrest the decline. Amreekis need no saazish to see Pakistan bankrupt & weak. Our elite (PTI being part of the same elite) is enough to do all this by itself.

So, in short you are agreeing with me here on all the major points. The central point, though, was that PTI & its partisans are making hue & cry over Amreeki Saazish, which frankly is not needed at all to screw Pakistan as a country, since no one is actually doing something to arrest the decline. Amreekis need no saazish to see Pakistan bankrupt & weak. Our elite (PTI being part of the same elite) is enough to do all this by itself.
Yes a lot of what you wrote is definitely agreeable.
About Amreeki sazish, no matter how well connected some one may seem - I think its above the pay grade of a lot of people. We can only look at circumstantial evidence and try to make a picture.

So on the letter - its established that the Ambassador was threatened that if no confidence against IK is not successful then there will be severe consequences, otherwise if the other party wins then Pakistan will be forgiven. This has been endorsed by Military twice and Pakistan has officially protested as well. Now its upto you to think, that this all there is to it.
Here is my speculation:
1) Our politicians are sellouts period. They have no shame in bending over to powerful countries for kursi. This is proven by what Zaradri did in memo gate, what Molana Fazl lobied for power according to wikiLeaks, How PPP used to say ‘no worries about collateral damage’, and even how Musharraf opened doors for foreign intell agencies in Pakistan etc. So if Zaradri can lobby for support against a serving COAS, phir IK kis khait ki muli hai?

2) There was clear interference as I said. But to what extent if there was a complex conspiracy? What happened in all those meetings? No one knows. And then we have the argument of mudakhlat vs sazish LoL.

3) We know PTI had a thin majority that required the ashirwaad of a powerful institution- did they Military become ‘neutral’ out of good will for democracy and rule of law or some pressure? Did our politicians become encouraged to take on PTI, and assurances were given by a powerful country that it will pacify Military in their favir ? This is where it becomes murky.

4) Even PMLN leaders (like Khaqan Abbasi) were on record that no confidence can never succeed without establishment support. So now it has. Did all these parties and members grow a conscious over night ( which likes of you were calling as ATMs, cheeni choor etc) or they were bribed. Bribes can take many forms, and promise of a monetary benefit in future is also a bribe.

5) How courts acted and preempted every move from PTI etc

6) All these moves cannot just be completely indigenous and local. It seems like establishment did move its support from one side to the other. They claim to be neutral now, the same way they claimed neutrality in PTI govt formation for which your opinion is well known

7) Political narrative building and rhetoric is the right of any political party. There will be exaggerations as others do too. For last 3.5 years PTI was accused of being part of Yahoodi lobby, giving Kashmir to India, being selected, etc. The same party cursed Army and COAS openly, accused them of terror (ye jo deshatgardi ha eska peechay …), In past PPP was called security risk in, BB saw the worst character assassination etc. So its PTI now in opposition and it is now forming its narrative based on its position. Who has not called the other party a ghaddar? Its very common. So why such a huge outcry against IK. In fact PMLN and NS were directly and openly vicious against institutions and judiciary. So the only issue is that - IK is being very successful and the response generated from public is way more than anyone expected. There was spontaneous reaction from public in all cities (100x more than what PMLN could manage after NS disqualification), without any effort. You can see it in surveys, how ARY viewership jumped to top with 65% viewership, how social media is filled with trends. I have been a silent reader of this forum, and even during the dark days of Musharaf I think this forum was fairly pro Military- so what happened now ? This is a point to think.

Again sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
Yes a lot of what you wrote is definitely agreeable.
About Amreeki sazish, no matter how well connected some one may seem - I think its above the pay grade of a lot of people. We can only look at circumstantial evidence and try to make a picture.

So on the letter - its established that the Ambassador was threatened that if no confidence against IK is not successful then there will be severe consequences, otherwise if the other party wins then Pakistan will be forgiven. This has been endorsed by Military twice and Pakistan has officially protested as well. Now its upto you to think, that this all there is to it.
Here is my speculation:
1) Our politicians are sellouts period. They have no shame in bending over to powerful countries for kursi. This is proven by what Zaradri did in memo gate, what Molana Fazl lobied for power according to wikiLeaks, How PPP used to say ‘no worries about collateral damage’, and even how Musharraf opened doors for foreign intell agencies in Pakistan etc. So if Zaradri can lobby for support against a serving COAS, phir IK kis khait ki muli hai?

2) There was clear interference as I said. But to what extent if there was a complex conspiracy? What happened in all those meetings? No one knows. And then we have the argument of mudakhlat vs sazish LoL.

3) We know PTI had a thin majority that required the ashirwaad of a powerful institution- did they Military become ‘neutral’ out of good will for democracy and rule of law or some pressure? Did our politicians become encouraged to take on PTI, and assurances were given by a powerful country that it will pacify Military in their favir ? This is where it becomes murky.

4) Even PMLN leaders (like Khaqan Abbasi) were on record that no confidence can never succeed without establishment support. So now it has. Did all these parties and members grow a conscious over night ( which likes of you were calling as ATMs, cheeni choor etc) or they were bribed. Bribes can take many forms, and promise of a monetary benefit in future is also a bribe.

5) How courts acted and preempted every move from PTI etc

6) All these moves cannot just be completely indigenous and local. It seems like establishment did move its support from one side to the other. They claim to be neutral now, the same way they claimed neutrality in PTI govt formation for which your opinion is well known

7) Political narrative building and rhetoric is the right of any political party. There will be exaggerations as others do too. For last 3.5 years PTI was accused of being part of Yahoodi lobby, giving Kashmir to India, being selected, etc. The same party cursed Army and COAS openly, accused them of terror (ye jo deshatgardi ha eska peechay …), In past PPP was called security risk in, BB saw the worst character assassination etc. So its PTI now in opposition and it is now forming its narrative based on its position. Who has not called the other party a ghaddar? Its very common. So why such a huge outcry against IK. In fact PMLN and NS were directly and openly vicious against institutions and judiciary. So the only issue is that - IK is being very successful and the response generated from public is way more than anyone expected. There was spontaneous reaction from public in all cities (100x more than what PMLN could manage after NS disqualification), without any effort. You can see it in surveys, how ARY viewership jumped to top with 65% viewership, how social media is filled with trends. I have been a silent reader of this forum, and even during the dark days of Musharaf I think this forum was fairly pro Military- so what happened now ? This is a point to think.

Again sorry for the long post.
I love reading your posts because you argue your points with civility & logic. I may disagree with you on a number of issues & your stance which is quite different from mine, but I'd rather have someone challenge my views like you do than have someone just confirm my biases. I welcome contrary opinions because they make me think about my own. So don't say that you are sorry for the long post. It is structured & coherent & a breeze to read.

Coming to the points, I think we should list where we both concur. Basically these would be principled positions, which are pretty solid in themselves:

1. No role of Generals in politics - there never should have been leaders like IK, NS, Bhutto, etc... They all owe their positions of power to the army. The first martial law was the original sin which gave us EBDO that finished careers of many old & established politicians (& hence space for likes of ZAB). I know that I am simplifying here & that there is more to the story, but I have to keep it simple. Look, had there been no bureaucratic (uniformed mostly, but non-uniformed in the early 50s) control in politics, we'd not only be a vibrant democracy, but perhaps both East & West Pakistan would be in a sort of a confederate setup. We would not have any of the present-day dynastic political parties, or likes of NS, IK, or even BB.

2. Role of elites in plundering Pakistan's resources. This is actually a very grave threat & is not discussed as often as it should be. All the present political parties are more representatives of various resource-grabbing elites than of common people - some more so & some less so & we can differ about it. But we can both agree that this is a serious issue that is quite independent of political parties & their narratives.

Now we can come to where we would likely disagree:

1. If Generals were to be kept out of politics, PTI would have had a hard time coming to power in 2018. To me this is as good as a 'fact' just because I avidly read & analyzed all the available material to come to this conclusion. Feel free to disagree, but this is how I see it.

2. "Neutral to janwar hotay hain" says a lot. It shows how hard it was for IK to openly blame Establishment & yet he had to censure the Establishment for abandoning him. So, if I take this statement at face value (I really should not since it is from IK & we both know his track record) then I should look at the conduct of the Establishment in context from 2011 until now - especially now.

We know how Balochistan Awami Party (BAP) came into being. This should have been a cause of concern for PTI partisans, but I do not know of a single Insafi who expressed any concern about how it was being created. It was obvious that BAP leaders would not only be opportunists aligned with Establishment, but that they would look to Establishment to see what was expected of them. Once such party saw that PTI had been abandoned in the name of neutrality, it was not difficult to see how they would act. So, in my view, there was no particular need for Establishment to declare their preferences. Once IK was ditched, it was a free for all brawl with results as could be expected. Notice that PML-Q in NA too acted similarly & it is a well-known prop for Establishment. So did the Establishment need to make a conspiracy against IK? This question has no certain answer. But the result is in no doubt. And that is what must concern us more than whether or not Establishment is / was neutral.

So while you may think in terms of conspiracy, I would tend to discount it. But the more important thing has already happened regardless of our individual opinions. We really need to move on.

3. Amreeki Saazish: You seem ambivalent about it, though you'd seemingly like to err on the side of a conspiracy while I would err on the other side. You think that Army acted upon a threat, & I think that the threat was not a great concern; economy was a greater concern that may have force the Army to be neutral. Frankly, after IK's Russia visit Americans were furious & they did express their annoyance. I am also sure that they did not just use diplomatic channel to communicate their feelings. The economy was already in such a state that Pakistan could ill-afford blocking of IMF/WB loans or (even worse) possible sanctions on trade. Americans were certainly going to use IMF, especially when PTI govt acted contrary to accepted IMF conditionalities. If you want to call an unspoken threat a conspiracy, then what can I say? Its not as though Americans were threatening military action & Pakistan Army caved in. It was the economic fall-out that was most important & this MAY (may, because it is not certain that this indeed was the cause) have pushed Establishment to withdraw support - no telling though if it had already been withdrawn, since VoNC had been in the works for months.

4. Role of other parties: Yes you are right - they are ruthless in pursuit of power. But this is how democracy works. Norms have to be established & enforced via public opinion, journalists, courts, etc... What one can not do is criticize others while receiving benefit in a similar way. This is hypocrisy. So now we see PTI & PML-N on opposite sides of hypocrisy scale. This is wrong. Though I must say the way PML-N was hounded 360 degrees, PTI has not yet begun to experience a tenth of that.

5. Courts did not so much pre-empt PTI's moves as safeguard the constitution. Had it been pure partisanship, SC would not have spent days listening to multiple sides to come up with a ruling. Though I do think that such flimsy excuses as a diplomatic cable did not merit both-siding a constitutional issue. But SC still did it. Fine. At least we have an enforceable norm that would stand in way of a weak government trying to save itself by using a diplomatic cable.

6. Public support for PTI: I am not going to write a long paragraph about it. I would just say that rallies do not necessarily corelate with electoral success. So feel free to disagree.

So what happen to those who used to say IK is going around with begging bowl to IMF ? aren't this new Pure Godly Govt not doing that ?

The anti Imran Khan stories were spread daily to cause brain cell damage to normal people

Now it is Business as Usual

6. Public support for PTI: I am not going to write a long paragraph about it. I would just say that rallies do not necessarily corelate with electoral success. So feel free to disagree.

Where is video clip of the burger saying "agar aap humein dandey marein gey tau hum inqilaab kaisey layein gey?" There is a big difference in rallies supported by khalai mukhlooq and those without. :D

(I won't even mention the puncture masters.)

Back
Top Bottom