What's new

If I were a dictator, I would introduce Gita in Class I: Supreme Court judge

Supreme court judge says "if I were a dictator"

That's astonishing...... Hope he thinks and judge like a jurist in his court room.
---
understand reason ... of argument....
SC judges 99% time have high integrity and competence and dedicated to constitution of india

---
SC judges 99% time have high integrity and competence and dedicated to constitution of india
The point is that a jurist, of all people, should not wish to be a dictator or to have a dictatorship. The benefits of executive, judicial and legislative powers being devolved to different institutions, rather than to a single one or to a single person (dictatorship), is immense. People in high offices creating an impression that dictatorships have any benefits at all, is a threat to the rather fragile democratic institutions we have. As it is, many naive people believe that a dictatorship is the best answer to all our problems. Of course, they assume that the dictator would do everything they themselves want to see done.

I support this . Mahabharat and Ramayana should be taught, but just for fun , there should be no exams or stuff.

A good teacher inspires it's students.

My hindi teacher put me into hindi literature and naturally i was drawn to mahabharat. mahabharat is like the pinnacle of literature out of this land. our mega scale war and peace.

but do NOT make the mistake of mixing it with politics. teaching children is in the realm of policy making.

The point is that a jurist, of all people, should not wish to be a dictator or to have a dictatorship. The benefits of executive, judicial and legislative powers being devolved to different institutions, rather than to a single one or to a single person (dictatorship), is immense. People in high offices creating an impression that dictatorships have any benefits at all, is a threat to the rather fragile democratic institutions we have. As it is, many naive people believe that a dictatorship is the best answer to all our problems. Of course, they assume that the dictator would do everything they themselves want to see done.
---
he did not wish ....
its just analogy .. nothing more..

I studied Ramayan and Mahabharat when I was in KG.I don't see Geeta as a religious book,but as a greatest book on how one should live,or what one should do when he's in a fix.

there is no need to enforce it to the people.people studied these books for millenniums and tried to learn the moral.they'll study it for millenniums more....

: Supreme Court judge Justice AR Dave on Saturday said that Indians should revert to their ancient traditions, and texts such as Mahabharata and Bhagwad Gita should be introduced to children at an early age.

For that purpose you have cartoons so no need for introducing in schools for kids

---

So you think that was an argument? :o:

You would never stand a second before a judge of a lower court if you argue that way, let alone a judge of apex court. Yeah, but here the argument, so-called, is presented by none other than the judge of a highest court himself so situation is pretty unusual.

Dictator is the most evil word in a constitution of a democratic country, judges who take oath under the constitution swear that they would protect the constitution (in gist) - interestingly that argument came from a judge who had swore to protect the constitution. That's the point you seem to have overlooked.

If I were an Indian I would have expected the judge arguing " If I become a primer, of course after retirement, I would make those sacred scriptures part of curriculum"

You would never stand a second before a judge of a lower court if you argue that way, let alone a judge of apex court. Yeah, but here the argument, so-called, is presented by none other than the judge of a highest court himself so situation is pretty unusual.

To be fair, he was not arguing as a judge in the supreme court - he was voicing his personal opinion in some other venue. His words should only be given that much importance.

Now in countering his opinions as a private individual, I would say that:

1) The metaphysical or philosophical ideas in the gita (irrespective of whether they are true or untrue, noble or ignoble), are beyond the grasp of first graders. You might as well teach them calculus or quantum mechanics - these would be equally beyond their powers of comprehension.

2) Religious instruction is best left to the family, not to schools.

3) If anybody is suggesting that the gita is not religious at all, but merely a manual on how to lead a noble life (as many on this thread seem to suggest), then there are much better ways to teach them the same, or at least make them think about such things, than rote learning a few chapters of the gita or bible or any other sacred text.

4) First graders are 6 years old - let them learn to play and converse and have fun, for frick's sake! And not rote learn verses about the nature of reality or morality.

i studied in central school,,,,if i remember correctly,,,we were taught mahabharat in class 6...

To be fair, he was not arguing as a judge in the supreme court - he was voicing his personal opinion in some other venue. His words should only be given that much importance.

Now in countering his opinions as a private individual, I would say that:

1) The metaphysical or philosophical ideas in the gita (irrespective of whether they are true or untrue, noble or ignoble), are beyond the grasp of first graders. You might as well teach them calculus or quantum mechanics - these would be equally beyond their powers of comprehension.

2) Religious instruction is best left to the family, not to schools.

3) If anybody is suggesting that the gita is not religious at all, but merely a manual on how to lead a noble life (as many on this thread seem to suggest), then there are much better ways to teach them the same, or at least make them think about such things, than rote learning a few chapters of the gita or bible or any other sacred text.

4) First graders are 6 years old - let them learn to play and converse and have fun, for frick's sake! And not rote learn verses about the nature of reality or morality.
A very well written post. Appreciate all of it especially point #1.

I know he was speaking at an international conference, even at a conference those words don't suite a judge of a constitutional court.

Couldn't agree more on rest of your post....

I support this a step towards establishing Hindu Rashtra.

Ditto. India must become what she always was, a Hindu Nation.

I know he was speaking at an international conference, even at a conference those words don't suite a judge of a constitutional court.

Couldn't agree more on rest of your post....

I heard a person who kissed a Blasphemy killer is now a Judge in Pakistan.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom