IDEX 2017: PAKISTAN REPORTEDLY EXPRESSES INTEREST IN SERBIAN ARMAMENTS

nadeemkhan110

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
YugoImport-SDPR-Abu-Dhabi-IDEX-2017-692x360.png

IDEX 2017: PAKISTAN REPORTEDLY EXPRESSES INTEREST IN SERBIAN ARMAMENTS

At IDEX 2017, Pakistan’s Minister of Defence Production (MoDP) Rana Tanveer Hussain visited the display of Yugoimport-SDPR, and reportedly reiterated Pakistan’s interest in the NORA B-52 self-propelled 155 mm/52-caliber howitzer (SPH).

The NORA B-52 is competing against the Denel Land Systems T5-52 for the Pakistan Army’s requirement for wheeled SPHs. It had been tested in Pakistan, and a Pakistani Army delegation led by the Director General of Artillery visited Serbia in January.

As per the Serbian news publisher Politika, Yugoimport-SDPR revealed that Pakistan was interested in 500 systems, of which 400 would be manufactured in Pakistan under a transfer-of-technology agreement. The MoDP also inquired about the extended-range version of the 122 mm Grad-2000 rocket, which has a range of up to 52 km, which is deployable through multiple-launch rocket-systems (MRLS).

Notes & Comments:

Pakistan has yet to decide between the NORA B-52 and T5-52, but the purported figure provides context into the scale of the Pakistan Army’s requirement. If hundreds of systems are sought, and that too with domestic manufacturing, then the selection of a wheeled-SPH could shape Pakistan’s wider artillery plans.

Since Pakistan would be manufacturing a 155 mm/52-caliber gun for the SPH, then it would be reasonable to assume that the same gun would be procured for the Army’s 155 mm towed howitzer needs.

The inquiry in the Grad-2000 also indicates that the Army has far-reaching artillery modernization plans. While Pakistan Ordnance Factories (POF) manufactures 122 mm rockets, the Pakistan Army’s needs have evolved to require extended-range and, potentially, precision-guided rockets.

Besides Yugoimport-SDPR, the Turkish munitions manufacturer Roketsan is also offering its solutions (MSI Turkish Defence Review). New versions of China’s Weishi-series should also be among Pakistan’s options.

The Serbian industry has many land forces solutions. Expanding its artillery portfolio, Yugoimport-SDPR showcased its new 400-mm diameter Sumadija artillery rocket, which can push a 200-kg warhead to a range of up to 280 km. The Sumadija appears to be similar in concept to the Israel Aerospace Industries Long Range Attack Missile (LORA), albeit with a lighter warhead (versus the LORA’s 570-kg warhead).

Yugoimport-SDPR’s mobility catalogue comprises of armoured vehicles such as the Lazar-series, which are 8×8 armoured fighting vehicles (AFV) with defensibility against mine and improvised explosive device (IED) blasts as well as ambushes. The improved Lazar-3 was displayed at IDEX. Yugoimport-SDPR expanded its vehicle portfolio with the 4×4 MILOSH armoured vehicle.
Source: http://quwa.org/2017/02/21/idex-2017-pakistan-reportedly-expresses-interest-serbian-armaments/
nora_b52.jpg

Nora_B-52_4.JPG

Leave this. Go for the T5-52, it's trials have already been completed.

oh...whats wrong with this?
Nothing. It's just that the B52 is the same platform as a gun which already has been trialed.
Both are 155mm / 52 Cal
Both are compatible with current POF manufactured ammo.
Both extend the max range of PA Artillery.
Both are wheeled SPs
Both have automatic laying.
Both have impressive ROFs.
The T5-52 looks sleeker as compared to the B52.
If you desire quick upgradation of PA Arty then the T5 would be the logical choice because trials take time.

Nothing. It's just that the B52 is the same platform as a gun which already has been trialed.
Both are 155mm / 52 Cal
Both are wheeled SPs
If you desire quick upgradation of PA Arty then the T5 would be the logical choice because trials take time.
There is more Protection For crew & the powertrain is more powerful on it! Nora B52 that is.

There is more Protection For crew & the powertrain is more powerful on it! Nora B52 that is.
Since the T5 and Nora are quite expensive and modern system i am guessing it would be used in normal medium artillery role as compared to offensive roles like moving immediately with Armoured formations.
Medium range artillery is far behind the fronts, they are, as norm considered to be more vulnerable to air threats and. Protection against air is provided by the field AD batteries and integral AA weapons.
Have you seen any ballistic shield on the M198 or M777? (M198 has upward facing ballistic shield against shrapnel damage to cylinders)
Armoured Protection is not a priority at such distances.

Both are 155mm / 52 Cal
Both are wheeled SPs
What do you mean same platform? Are you suggesting that just because the caliber and similar performance we should just go for one we already know about?
If I am misconstrueing what you are saying please excuse me
But it seems you are suggesting that just because two systems are similar on paper we should go for whatever we looked at first rather than ensuring that our Quality and reliability tests along with prIcing is met

Since the T5 and Nora are quite expensive and modern system i am guessing it would be used in normal medium artillery role as compared to offensive roles like moving immediately with Armoured formations.
Medium range artillery is far behind the fronts, they are, as norm considered to be more vulnerable to air threats and. Protection against air is provided by the field AD batteries and integral AA weapons.
Have you seen any ballistic shield on the M198 or M777? (M198 has upward facing ballistic shield against shrapnel damage to cylinders)
Armoured Protection is not a priority at such distances.
I meant the protection for the crew from the elements like weather and Nora seems to have appropriate compartment on the new versions of the gun. As for M777/198 well if you get a cook off then you are f#cked. There is a picture of M777 blown while in training in fort bragg which I can't find but it killed the crew.

What do you mean same platform? Are you suggesting that just because the caliber and similar performance we should just go for one we already know about?
If I am misconstrueing what you are saying please excuse me
But it seems you are suggesting that just because two systems are similar on paper we should go for whatever we looked at first rather than ensuring that our Quality and reliability tests along with prIcing is met
When the military looks for a weapon system they define a set of parameters that have to be met for the equipment to be EVEN considered for induction.
They differ on the type of equipment (Towed or Sp) and on the actual operational requirements for which the equipment is required.
If the weapon meets the goals then it means that weapon can undertake the task the commanders have in mind for it.
Anything above the line is bonus. You can go on testing more and more equipment and will find more and more that meet that parameters.

Trials of Both T5-52 and B-52 Nora have been completed.
Oh... if that is the case then let's see what the higher brass decides.
I am personally inclined towards the T5 it looks amazing.

I meant the protection for the crew from the elements like weather and Nora seems to have appropriate compartment on the new versions of the gun. As for M777/198 well if you get a cook off then you are f#cked. There is a picture of M777 blown while in training in fort bragg which I can't find but it killed the crew.
Detonation of barrels is actually not that uncommon in the world militaries. Specially arty pieces that have seen active combat greater then the EFC recommended.

When the military looks for a weapon system they define a set of parameters that have to be met for the equipment to be EVEN considered for induction.
They differ on the type of equipment (Towed or Sp) and on the actual operational requirements for which the equipment is required.
If the weapon meets the goals then it means that weapon can undertake the task the commanders have in mind for it.
Anything above the line is bonus. You can go on testing more and more equipment and will find more and more that meet that parameters.

Oh... if that is the case then let's see what the higher brass decides.
I am personally inclined towards the T5 it looks amazing.
But one would consider that even with systems meeting these parameters on paper; you need to verify them. After all these are not paper cups in the mess hall that one can simply take on face value;
On paper both harris systems and Aselsan sdr's have similar performance but in actual tests it was different ; not to mention the price point

Back
Top Bottom