What's new

IAF wants 50 swift & sure Sudarshan LGBs from ADE | Scientists at it to get

Had spoken to my cousin who is in the ADE. He mentioned a few interesting things. He said the avionics and testing equipment was being tested for the glide bomb. As usual, he clamped up when I asked for more juicy details on what and when and how.

The interesting question is, is he really talking about Sudarshan, since it's shouldn't have much other systems than the laser seeker. What you said sounds more like another bomb kit with additional guidance, like GPS/INS for example. We know that DRDO is developing another PGM kit, that not only has a laser seeker, but also GPS (later Indian version), to increase it's guidance capabilities.
So is that the kit your cousin talk about?
Is that the kit that was used with the 1000Kg bomb?
Could that bomb the a reason to stop Sudarshan?

In any case,the regular LGBs without glide fins are becoming a thing of past............well,more or less.So it's no that big a setback if you ask me as long as they can deliver upon the glide bomb kit.

LGB kits does not only havethe seeker, but also the navigation kit at the end, which retracts fins for direction changes as well as some range extentions. That's why they have more range than a normal dumb bomb and for normal CAS roles, these LGB kits are still the most cost-effective choice. Range extention kits with wings or rocket propulsions on the other hand, are usually fitted on PGMs, that are used for more difficult strikes, SEAD or stand off precision strikes, but they are also more expensive. See Israeli Griffin LGB and SPICE kits, US Paveway LGB and JDAMs.

LGB kits does not only havethe seeker, but also the navigation kit at the end, which retracts fins for direction changes as well as some range extentions. That's why they have more range than a normal dumb bomb and for normal CAS roles, these LGB kits are still the most cost-effective choice. Range extention kits with wings or rocket propulsions on the other hand, are usually fitted on PGMs, that are used for more difficult strikes, SEAD or stand off precision strikes, but they are also more expensive. See Israeli Griffin LGB and SPICE kits, US Paveway LGB and JDAMs.

That I know man,because without the control surfaces installed,the LGB can not guide itself to the objective.That was not my point.My point was that if the glide kit becomes operationally successful,then the same kit can be used in LGB role with the glide wings stripped out.

My point was that if the glide kit becomes operationally successful,then the same kit can be used in LGB role with the glide wings stripped out.

No they won't, since stand off range is not important for basic CAS roles where LGBs are used. That's why the trend is to add different guidance capabilities to the LGB, like Paveway IV now has GPS/INS and not wing kits. Same reason why Brimstone's dual mode seeker is the crucial advantage, not a heavy warhead or stand off range.

Last edited:
The interesting question is, is he really talking about Sudarshan, since it's shouldn't have much other systems than the laser seeker. What you said sounds more like another bomb kit with additional guidance, like GPS/INS for example. We know that DRDO is developing another PGM kit, that not only has a laser seeker, but also GPS (later Indian version), to increase it's guidance capabilities.
So is that the kit your cousin talk about?
Is that the kit that was used with the 1000Kg bomb?
Could that bomb the a reason to stop Sudarshan?

No idea man. He will not discuss anything beyond what he has already told me. He is very unlike your normal 'babu'. No gossip at all. Can't even get him drunk, since he does not drink. But its not the Sudarshan.

What juicy bit he did tell me is concerning UAVs. Something is coming up. And its very interesting.

No idea man. He will not discuss anything beyond what he has already told me. He is very unlike your normal 'babu'. No gossip at all.

Can't blame him for that, actually that's commendable of him! :tup:

Can't even get him drunk, since he does not drink.

:lol: LOL

But its not the Sudarshan.

Well that would support my guess, that he is talking about the PM DRDO develops, interesting.

What juicy bit he did tell me is concerning UAVs. Something is coming up. And its very interesting.

Hehe, I aready searched a bit in older DRDO reports, but I couldn't find it, so will wait have to wait and see.

No they won't, since stand off range is not important for basic CAS roles where LGBs are used. That's why the trend is to add different guidance capabilities to the LGB, like Paveway IV now has GPS/INS and not wing kits. Same reason why Brimstone's dual mode seeker is the crucial advantage, not a heavy warhead or stand off range.

Dude,I said the same thing!!Check out my post again carefully,I said with the glide wings stripped out!!That too retain the guidance mechanism and tail fin units and do away with the large glide wings since one doesn't need too much stand off range in CAS roles,as you just said.

Back
Top Bottom