What's new

IAF wants 100 armed Avenger stealth from US

No thx we aren't looking to buy your maal.
It's all fine, the current orders from central asia and gulf nations would keep the production line busy for a couple of years.

This is good news for the Indian Military...Proves that it is easier to take anything you want if you have the money...Seems like the Made in India rules are being ignored...

As a policy Make in India would be ignored for cutting edge technologies. Nothing is being ignored unless you think this is not cutting edge.

For now we have to wait for further details because (forgive me if I'm wrong) I can't find any other source...

India had express interest to procure 100 units of Predator C Avenger for IAF ($8 Billion) and 22 Sea Guardians for IN ($2 Billion) since last year when India became a member of MTCR.

This is India's way of saying "Thank you" to US for pushing its case in MTCR. Earlier too, India gave $10 billion defense deals (C-130J, C-17 , P-8Is) to US after US got NSG waiver for India.

What is news here is not India expressing interest rather US providing approval to these requests after the recent Modi-Trump visit.

If we buy those 100 avenger then US will operate their own from bases in India. So basically in future US drone strike in Afghan-Pak region will come from inside Indian territory.

They would be joint US-India bases.

The same price can buy 100 Su35.

India would be upgrading its 300+ SU-30 MKIs to Super Sukhoi standard for $8 Billion. Super Sukhois would exceed SU-35 capabilities as they derive tech from PAK-FA. So SU-35s have no value for India.

Well actually prefer if we buy more rafaels with the 8 b usd.
These drones are only useful in poorly or undefended areas, while pakistan airspace is well defended.
Where do we plan to use the armed drones ?

100+ MII RAFALE deal would be signed once the RAFALE's offset of Safran making Kaveri successful by 2019.

Pakistan airspace is well defended that's why using Heron for strike is a bad idea but Avenger has been proven again & again and Pak don't have that kind of tech to detect them. So basically what i'm saying GoI has intend to use them for cross-border raids against Terrorist camps/infrastructures in P O K.

Agreed. The primary focus is to use these drones against terror launch pads and training centers across LOC.

And don't you forget that leg.

Here's where I think the mistake is. India can't make this drone right now, this is true, but if you don't start now, in 20 years you are once again back in the same position you are now.

China can't make shit, in 1989, but after the sanctions China today can make some of the world's most sophisticated instruments of war. Yes, China was weak, very weak between 89 and pretty much a few years ago, but so what. At some point that will end.

Everyone must start somewhere, and in a technology as critical, yet not so urgent, is the perfect opportunity to make Make in India work.
BS argument, it's good to keep working for future but also have to make some moves to address security challenges. China did not have any threat from anyone and had the liberty of time.

What happened aura stealth drone,the way we spend on predator c clearly shows that we are not in a position to produce this ever.

Back
Top Bottom