What's new

IAF Mig 29 crashes, pilot safe!

Koovie

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
MiG-29 fighter aircraft crashes; pilot safe

A MiG-29 fighter aircraft on a routine sortie today crashed near Lalparda village in Gujarat's Jamnagar district, with the pilot ejecting safely.

"A MiG-29 fighter jet today crashed at 13.30 hours near Lalparda village south of Khambhalia town," IAF officials said.

The aircraft was on on a routine sortie, they said.

IAF has ordered a court of inquiry in the matter, officials said, adding that their team is reaching the spot where the crash took place.

In August 2012, nine Air Force personnel, including five officers, on board two MI-17 helicopters were killed when two choppers of the Jamangar air base had collided mid-air shortly after take off.
MiG-29 fighter aircraft crashes; pilot safe

You too MiG 29 .......:cry:

Good to hear that the pilot is safe.

Even USAF F-22 Raptors have crashed multiple times, and killed atleast 2 pilots.

Any plane can crash, what's the wonder?

Better probe the exact reasons for the crash quickly and fix any problem in the jet if there is.

Even USAF F-22 Raptors have crashed multiple times, and killed atleast 2 pilots.

Any plane can crash, what's the wonder?

Better probe the exact reasons for the crash quickly and fix any problem in the jet if there is.

It's always even more disconcerting when a twin engine jet goes down, specially under normal flying conditions.

It's always even more disconcerting when a twin engine jet goes down, specially under normal flying conditions.

Engine failure is not the only cause of crashes. Twin engines can only protect against that eventuality. A faulty spare part anywhere in the rest of the airframe, or a software glitch - such causes affect single engined and twin engined aircrafts equally. For the IAF, it is mostly the mig-27s that used to crash due to engine issues.

Engine failure is not the only cause of crashes. Twin engines can only protect against that eventuality. A faulty spare part anywhere in the rest of the airframe, or a software glitch - such causes affect single engined and twin engined aircrafts equally. For the IAF, it is mostly the mig-27s that used to crash due to engine issues.

Flying around Khambalia, Salaya, Sikka etc in the vicinity of Jamnagar has some issues that are common now at some other airfields. That of Bird hits/ingestions. So let us await to hear more about the incident.

Flying around Khambalia, Salaya, Sikka etc in the vicinity of Jamnagar has some issues that are common now at some other airfields. That of Bird hits/ingestions. So let us await to hear more about the incident.

The IAF has taken a lot of measures in recent years to avoid bird hits, from removing urban garbage to purchasing bird detection radars.

I'm curious about that one - how do bird detection radars work? The birds are not made of metal, are they?

Maybe there was some glitch in the control, and the pilot preferred to abandon the jet. But it's just a speculation and we should wait for official statement.

The IAF has taken a lot of measures in recent years to avoid bird hits, from removing urban garbage to purchasing bird detection radars.

I'm curious about that one - how do bird detection radars work? The birds are not made of metal, are they?

Removing garbage is a never ending process, esp if there are pockets of human inhabitation all around the periphery of an airfield.

About Bird Detection radars; they are able to detect large flocks of birds. While birds are not metal or good radar-targets; large flocks show up as clutter on certain wavelengths. But not exactly fool-proof. Hence spotters with shot-guns/fire-crackers patrol air-field perimeters. But some distance away from airfields-in the "funnel area" where aircraft make their approach, the vulnerability of aircraft is far greater.

A variant of this kind of radar is also used on "Long-Line Purse Seiner" fishing vessels that detect large flocks of sea-birds in the vicinity of large shoals of fish.

why not It is a machine after all... but i guess Mig 29 has good safety record with IAF...If i am not wrong not more then 2 or have crashed till now..

why not It is a machine after all... but i guess Mig 29 has good safety record with IAF...If i am not wrong not more then 2 or have crashed till now..

Oh a lot more than two have crashed. Which is not surprising, since we have flown 70+ of these for 28 years. Their safety record is a lot better than the mig-21s. Mostly it's the 21s and 27s that have a poor safety record. The mirage-2000s and MKIs have the best record, I think.

Back
Top Bottom