What's new

Hundreds of Britons waging jihad in Syria

'Hundreds of British citizens with no links to Syria travel there to seek martyrdom in a sectarian conflict inspired by an extremist interpretation of their faith'...how does that sound?

First thing we need to do is not be broad. Take things step by step. Now you tell me if this is an accurate portrayal of the past few years in Syria.

This will tell me more about you as a person.

Last edited:

Well its a start but these individuals most likely acquired UK nationality through settlement so I'd imagine the Home Office would be well within its rights to rescind their citizenship citing national security. Moreover as dual nationals, stripping them of British nationality won't render them stateless so the move is less liable to legal challenge on human rights grounds. I suspect the vast majority of UK jihadis in Syria are British by birth so revoking their nationality would require primary legislation which would invariably fall foul of the ECHR.

@Evren I have no doubt these individuals are on the security services' radar but the concern would be that the existing counter terrorism strategy is ill equipped to competently deal with the threat from a fifth column of several hundred battle hardened home grown Jihadists once they return 'home'.

Well its a start but these individuals most likely acquired UK nationality through settlement so I'd imagine the Home Office would be well within its rights to rescind their citizenship citing national security. Moreover as dual nationals, stripping them of British nationality won't render them stateless so the move is less liable to legal challenge on human rights grounds. I suspect the vast majority of UK jihadis in Syria are British by birth so revoking their nationality would require primary legislation which would invariably fall foul of the ECHR.

@Evren I have no doubt these individuals are on the security services' radar but the concern would be that the existing counter terrorism strategy is ill equipped to competently deal with the threat from a fifth column of several hundred battle hardened home grown Jihadists once they return 'home'.

Well that is why their names are on CERBERUS, when they return "if" they return it won't be to mum and dad, it will be to the silver bracelets of the Metropolitan Police and CID.

Well that is why their names are on CERBERUS, when they return "if" they return it won't be to mum and dad, it will be to the silver bracelets of the Metropolitan Police and CID.

And you reckon UK courts will support indefinite preventative detention of such individuals in the absence of court admissible evidence of crimes committed against UK nationals or on UK soil? When was anyone successfully prosecuted in the UK for terrorism offenses committed abroad? Last time I checked Moazzem Beig was busy writing articles for the Guardian between making regular appearances on Newsnight defending terror suspects instead of getting a$$raped in Belmarsh for his role in the 9/11 attacks (among other things). Remind me how long it took the UK to get rid of the hook guy or for that matter Abu Khattada who wasn't even a UK national?

Do you seriously think putting names on a computer or the threat of arrest followed by a friendly chat down the nick is going to put the fear of god into highly motivated religious nutjobs who are willing to kill and get killed in the path of a 'holy war'?

And you reckon UK courts will support indefinite preventative detention of such individuals in the absence of court admissible evidence of crimes committed against UK nationals or on UK soil? When was anyone successfully prosecuted in the UK for terrorism offenses committed abroad? Last time I checked Moazzem Beig was busy writing articles for the Guardian between making regular appearances on Newsnight defending terror suspects instead of getting a$$raped in Belmarsh for his role in the 9/11 attacks (among other things). Remind me how long it took the UK to get rid of the hook guy or for that matter Abu Khattada who wasn't even a UK national?

Do you seriously think putting names on a computer or the threat of arrest followed by a friendly chat down the nick is going to put the fear of god into highly motivated religious nutjobs who are willing to kill and get killed in the path of a 'holy war'?

Granted the points you make are valid and carry weight, however they are working on making application of Section 41 easier in cases where there is significant evidence available to tie a suspect to potential illicit activities in Syria. Remember Irfan Naseer, Irfan Khalid and Ashik Ali

WOW! Awesome! Let these retards come home safe and claim benefits to survive day-to-day life while rest of the population pay taxes to maintain them. I am sure their families are already claiming benefits to maintain another generation of 'heroic' lunatics.Off course with the full support of the righteous government.

'Terror link' wives fight over £29,000 in handouts | UK | News | Daily Express - Old but gold

WOW! Awesome! Let these retards come home safe and claim benefits to survive day-to-day life while rest of the population pay taxes to maintain them. I am sure their families are already claiming benefits to maintain another generation of 'heroic' lunatics.Off course with the full support of the righteous government.

'Terror link' wives fight over £29,000 in handouts | UK | News | Daily Express - Old but gold

The "three strikes" and your out rule is in the pipeline:
Terror Suspects To Be Stripped Of UK Passports

This is great but this should have been implemented much earlier. Why three strikes? How can one afford giving three chances to a lethal terrorist?

You think this is the first time for any of these blasted blighters? Also blame the HRA, ECHR and Article 8.

What does "waging jihad" mean? Literally it could mean many things. Why don't you guys just be straight forward and say it as is.

Hundreds of British citizens flee to Syria to fight alongside anti-Assad rebels? That sounds more right.

Because this original title seems to want to attach an agenda to their actions and make jihad a dirty word.

Hezbollah are jihadists too, it's not supposed to be a dirty word. Yet people praise Hezbollah's actions while disregarding they are jihadists too.

Don't associate jihadists with a dirty meaning. It's a normal term that the media likes to twist around with.

They should stay in in Syria.UK/European private citizens shouldn't wage "jihad' on top of their heads.That, if they want to be european citizens,if not they can choose another country to live in.This kind of behaviour is unacceptable,every one of them should be locked.

Back
Top Bottom