What's new

How Pathankot attack highlighted NSG’s weaknesses

Basically it politically motivated coordinated attack To target NSA
It looks like it, I mean was the outrage directed at the NSA back in 2008 when 26/11 showed that the NSG WERE clearly under-equipped? I can't recall a single overt attack on the then NSA but here it is all Doval this, Doval that. There is an agenda at work for sure.

There was no command centre from where they could monitor the progress of operations

films main to bhut dikhaty hain hahahahaha

Imranbhai aapkokya ho gya g??? Itne saare equipments aur ek command center ni thaa?? U believe thhat?

BTW for your information entire operation was monitored and commanded by NSA from Delhi, remotely via satellite.

Basically it politically motivated coordinated attack To target NSA

NSA Doval is the target of the congis thats it.

It looks like it, I mean was the outrage directed at the NSA back in 2008 when 26/11 showed that the NSG WERE clearly under-equipped? I can't recall a single overt attack on the then NSA but here it is all Doval this, Doval that. There is an agenda at work for sure.
There not even single reason they Can target. Govt neither on economic front or corruption so they find silliest of silly reason to target Govt just. To raise TRP that's Indian media for you

SOURCE: INDIA TODAY

newsroom_647_011516113315.jpg

The January 2 Pathankot terror attack by carried out by Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) killed seven Indian security personnel. 5 Defence Security Corps men, an IAF Garud commando and one National Security Guard was killed in the pre-dawn strike on the air base before the 6 attackers were neutralised.

While 200 NSG commandos were expected to act swiftly and flush out the terrorists, they took over 70 hours to sanitise the airbase completely.

Was this loss inevitable? Could it not been averted if the NSG commandos had proper modern fighting devices?

The Pathankot operation not just questioned National Security Adviser Ajit Doval’s decision to send the NSG into the airbase, but also pointed towards the mismanagement and vulnerabilities of India’s premier anti-terrorist force – NSG.

India Today Magazine cover story, Eyes Wide Shut, exposed the shocking vulnerabilities of India’s premier counter-terrorist force.

India Today has also accessed exclusive government documents which highlights that the NSG lacked 72 equipments, which the force was promised long back.

The investigative report which is put together by India Today’s Sandeep Unnithan says, a Rs 1,400-crore modernisation plan that would have transformed it into a modern fighting force by 2017, still remains a pipe dream. The NSG is a force hollowed out by years of neglect, lurching from one crises to another.

The force continues to be bedevilled by a shortage of cutting edge equipment and training aids. Unnithan says, “Not even 1 percent of what was promised have been allotted to the force so far.”

All that the NSG has acquired for its commandos since then are sniper rifles, submachine guns and pistols.

Lt General (Retired) General Katoch says, “During 26/11 we lost many soldiers because we never had long-range night vision devices and conditions haven’t changed yet, we’ve seen it in Pathankot.”

What the NSG lacks

Long-range night vision devices and hand-held thermal imagers which would allow them to track the terrorists at night.

They did not have the drones that could fly continuously to scan the target area for suspects.

There was no command centre from where they could monitor the progress of operations.

Poorly researched and load of crap ...BS! NSG was only involved to preclude the hostage situation if any as the ingress was in residential area. Army threw a cordon around the holed up remaining terrorists and simply paid the waiting game. It is a standard operating procedure in Indian Army CI tactics. Who writes this Crap and believes it?

If what you are saying is true than you need to suspend NSG over Pathankot debacle. Still where were Garud ? Why they didn't went in to defend Air Base. I think their number is more than 500

NSG was not involved in flushing operations. Please, we all know our media is crap! NSG was deployed to preclude a situation wherein potential hostage rescue had to be undertaken. Which did not occur. The army ran the op. And our SOP is clear in case of holed up terrorists - surround, tighten the cordon and wait - confirm no own troops/personnel/civilian as hostage and then raze the defended structure (the mess was made into a ruin). Before you go on casualties, the initial casualties were more of DSC and Garud in initial assault. The sole NSG fatality was in mopping up due to booby trap and proximity of others which resulted in splinter injuries.

Garud is not in airbase protection role. It is in CI/QRT roles plus spec ops

Imranbhai aapkokya ho gya g??? Itne saare equipments aur ek command center ni thaa?? U believe thhat?

BTW for your information entire operation was monitored and commanded by NSA from Delhi, remotely via satellite.

NSA Doval is the target of the congis thats it.
main ne kya kaha bhai jo kaha tery media ne kaha hai :partay: nhi hai to koi baat nhi modi jee ke bed room main bana lo wesy bhi akeela aadmi hai kaheen so jaay ga :lol:

Read carefully.. It's a very smartly crafted article.. It's basically

Shoot one's gun from someone else's shoulder

The target is not NSG
The NV device issue is not the major problem.. It may be we don't have large numbers equipping every soldier but NSG is one of the few elites who are equipped quite well..

The target is NSA Ajit Doval primary and secondary is PM Narendra Modi.

Some one is using guise of pathankot ops post mortem, blaming forces day in and out and calling lack of equipments and failure of NSA strategy... And PM failing.... This is not a analysis rather a political vendetta very smartly packaged as pathankot review analysis

Is nt it silly that country is ruled close to 61 years by one party but no body questioned them why NSG or forces was not equipped with best gears? Nor for every other attack NSG or forces was ever blamed? With experts from ex forces and Sherlock reporters who do investigative journalism....

If a blame is there then wait for NIA report.. Media and experts should leave certain matters to professionals.. It's beyond stupidity to keep questioning and analysing failures of forces day in and day out..

Tomo I can also sit in a media interview live on times now and give a detail reply which will make everybody look up and say xyz are the culprit. That xyz can be anything NSG, Garuds, NSA, bad, Punjab police anything...

Media at times cross every threshold of foolishness..

main ne kya kaha bhai jo kaha tery media ne kaha hai :partay: nhi hai to koi baat nhi modi jee ke bed room main bana lo wesy bhi akeela aadmi hai kaheen so jaay ga :lol:

Arrey koi nehi g!!! Modi g ka bedroom ko hi ban alunge. :lol:

Read carefully.. It's a very smartly crafted article.. It's basically

Shoot one's gun from someone else's shoulder

The target is not NSG
The NV device issue is not the major problem.. It may be we don't have large numbers equipping every soldier but NSG is one of the few elites who are equipped quite well..

The target is NSA Ajit Doval primary and secondary is PM Narendra Modi.

Some one is using guise of pathankot ops post mortem, blaming forces day in and out and calling lack of equipments and failure of NSA strategy... And PM failing.... This is not a analysis rather a political vendetta very smartly packaged as pathankot review analysis

Is nt it silly that country is ruled close to 61 years by one party but no body questioned them why NSG or forces was not equipped with best gears? Nor for every other attack NSG or forces was ever blamed? With experts from ex forces and Sherlock reporters who do investigative journalism....

If a blame is there then wait for NIA report.. Media and experts should leave certain matters to professionals.. It's beyond stupidity to keep questioning and analysing failures of forces day in and day out..

Tomo I can also sit in a media interview live on times now and give a detail reply which will make everybody look up and say xyz are the culprit. That xyz can be anything NSG, Garuds, NSA, bad, Punjab police anything...

Media at times cross every threshold of foolishness..

May be because of this..

@Abingdonboy @cerberus

x8rq46i.jpg

a.jpg

Yup. These guys are so backwards:

ethrethr-png.265316

kugkjgj-png.265295

tumblr_nwdrzbdocK1tjfjuco9_1280.png

tumblr_o06a00lbDF1tjfjuco1_1280.png

1910131_10153533677938071_1943811073324485799_n.jpg

ZAeXZIY.jpg

Unbelivable.

^this is "not even 1%"????? :woot::woot::o::o::crazy::crazy::crazy::rofl::rofl::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::argh::argh::argh:

NSG uses quadrotor UAVs, yes with limited enudurance but is this idiot really asking for the NSG to be operating MALE UAVs?? The IAF had UAV assets over the airbase around the clock.

This clown has literally just recylced 8 year old news and hopes the ignorant masses simply swallows it whole and garners him the TRP these idiots worship.

At what point does this narrative of "oh, everything must be the fault of the polticans and our guys aren't equipped well enough" get thrown out? Stop trying to paint this clear strategic success as a failure.

There will be failures and lessons learnt for next time- that is the nature of these things.

@PARIKRAMA @Echo_419 @Levina @Vauban @mkb95 @Unknowncommando @Water Car Engineer @MilSpec @Parul @Koovie @Kinetic @nair @SpArK @AUSTERLITZ @Bang Galore @Star Wars @ranjeet @hinduguy

Can someone email/tweet this clown with the above photos? The NSG/MHA/GoI should launch some sort of defamation case against him at the least.
Buddy can you please answer for specific instruments. Does not hurt to improve and get better, I was shocked with this news, glad we have a thread. I seriously think they should have drones.

Please do not beat me if I am talking nonsense, I am declaring that I am civilian. The way I imagine in my head is that these are the things NSG should have. Some kind of vehicle maybe a truck which has all the necessary weapons stuck on wall. This truck should be ready all the time, so when we have to react fast we can just drive the truck or fly it whatever.

Mini drone for surveillance a must.
some kind of robots that can be sent on ground which has camera on top of it and possibly a gun. We should be able to control it from a distance. This will help find terrorist where it is risky to send troops.

@Irfan Baloch Bhai ur thoughts too.

By the way it seems because of my username change some of my old friends do not recognize me so FYI. Hulk= Indianrabbit.

Could anyone on twitter plase tweet to Shiv Aroor and especially India Today to stop propogating these LIES?

@PARIKRAMA @anant_s @Levina @bloo @Unknowncommando @Echo_419 @sathya @SRP @AMCA @XiNiX @hellfire @cerberus
Just replied to Shiv Aroor with the picture provided.

Last edited:
Buddy can you please answer for specific instruments. Does not hurt to improve and get better, I was shocked with this news, glad we have a thread. I seriously think they should have drones.

Please do not beat me if I am talking nonsense, I am declaring that I am civilian. The way I imagine in my head is that these are the things NSG should have. Some kind of vehicle maybe a truck which has all the necessary weapons stuck on wall. This truck should be ready all the time, so when we have to react fast we can just drive the truck or fly it whatever.

some kind of robots that can be sent on ground which has camera on top of it and possibly a gun. We should be able to control it from a distance. This will help find terrorist where it is risky to send troops.

@Irfan Baloch Bhai ur thoughts too.

By the way it seems because of my username change some of my old friends do not recognize me so FYI. Hulk= Indianrabbit.

I can do that, but what data do I provide?

don't apologise, you have same right like any other poster to contribute what you think best.

you need laser based perimeter defence. it only costs few thousand dollars and can alert the people in the control room whenever a certain layer of perimeter is breached (just for record I dont mean the deathly red glowing laser that cuts people in half).

secondly yes not just drones but helicopters as well with IR and heat signature capturing equipment for application in low or no light conditions. also employ dogs, clear the vegetations near the boundaries of the bases. dogs are also your best friend,. its a mix of modern technology and old foot patrol which will ensure a good protection.

be prepared to take losses at the first tier of the defence posts. the job of those selfless, nameless heroes is to delay the attackers long enough for the cavalry to arrive and contain and destroy the attackers. I give you example of our two civilian guards of Karachi airport who were only armed with pistols and held the 10+ attackers for about an hour until the Special forces arrived and cornered and killed them all before they could do any major damage. those two guards died of course, what chance they had against 10 something assault rifles, grenades etc. but they were the real heroes.

that all said. the best solution is prevention. intercepting the attackers in planning stage or on their way to the target. its an intelligence failure if the attackers manage to breach the security fence .. unless of course an ambush is already in place to bait them into their death.

thanks for letting me know your old user name. I have lost touch with many posters due to their name and avatar changes.

Please do not beat me if I am talking nonsense, I am declaring that I am civilian. The way I imagine in my head is that these are the things NSG should have

The NSG HAS such mini UAVs:

tumblr_o11s3juHE71tjfjuco2_1280.png

^ Netra UAV desmonstrated in the 2015 31st Raising Day Celebrations of the NSG

Watch from 3.10:

Now the article says:
They did not have the drones that could fly continuously to scan the target area for suspects.

To me this seems to imply that the UAVs the NSG took with them (Mini UAVs) did not allow for continuous observation- which will be true, they will have a limited endurance just by their very nature (being "mini"). BUT the IAF did have UAVs on station throughout (Herons) and they have a far longer endurance. So, is the article trying to imply the NSG should start operating MALE UAVs? An absurd suggestion if so.

Some kind of vehicle maybe a truck which has all the necessary weapons stuck on wall. This truck should be ready all the time, so when we have to react fast we can just drive the truck or fly it whatever.
I do not want to give too much information or speculate on the NSG's tactics and deployment patterns but they have a very similar procedure you have outlined. 24/7, 365 days a year there is a NSG team (the Counter Terror task force) ready to deploy anywhere in India (or beyond) with all relevent equipment stowed and aviation assets explictly ear marked for them. This task force includes assualters, snipers, EOD, support, linguists, negotiators, comms techs etc etc.

Not many CT/HR units employ such equipment for a number of reasons. Anyway, the was no such loss of life to NSG assualters employed in direct combat- their tactics negated much of the need for any such equipment.

Could anyone on twitter plase tweet to Shiv Aroor and especially India Today to stop propogating these LIES?

@PARIKRAMA @anant_s @Levina @bloo @Unknowncommando @Echo_419 @sathya @SRP @AMCA @XiNiX @hellfire @cerberus

Back in 1999, after Kargil war, the them PM Vajpayee sahab, acknowledged the role of Indian media, which acted to create a very positive image around the world and it was crucial for getting diplomatic support globally for country.
Today unfortunately media is acting in a very negative manner. Why cant Aroor, see the point that Indian forces could have simply blasted the building where goons were hiding, albeit that would have meant huge collateral damage. They acted in a professional, surgical and responsible manner, as one would expect from a responsible government.
i guess some people cant see beyond sensationalism.

Just replied to Shiv Aroor with the picture provided.

He is an a$$. Used to jostle with him a few years back. Realised this fact and since then decided time was better spent somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom