Hong Kong imposes sanctions on Philippines over 2010 hostage deaths

Wholegrain

Reaction score
Country
Taiwan, Province Of China
Hong Kong imposes sanctions on Philippines over 2010 hostage deaths| Reuters

BY ALICE WOODHOUSE
HONG KONG Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:15am EST

(Reuters) - Hong Kong will scrap visa-free access for all Philippine diplomatic and official passport holders after Manila failed to issue a formal apology for a deadly hostage-taking in 2010.

The Hong Kong families of eight tourists who were killed in the Manila shooting have demanded an apology and compensation, punishment for officials who dealt with the crisis and enhanced tourist safety, in a row that has soured ties.

Hong Kong and the Philippines have close economic relations, with more than 100,000 Filipino domestic helpers working in the city, but emotions still run high over the killing of the tourists on a bus by a sacked police officer who opened fire amid a bungled rescue attempt.

"The sanctions we just announced are just and justified. We welcome the continuation of dialogue between us and the Philippines to bring the matter to a final conclusion," Hong Kong leader Leung Chun-ying told a news briefing.

The former British territory of Hong Kong returned to Chinese rule in 1997 but retains a high degree of autonomy over its affairs.

The strain in ties between the city and the Philippines comes during a sharp deterioration in relations between Beijing and Manila over overlapping claims of potentially oil- and gas-rich waters in the South China Sea.

Leung said good progress had been made with regard to three of the four demands, including Manila's offer of compensation for one of the survivors, although Hong Kong would not rule out further action to force the Philippines to apologize.

Another possibility is a freeze on domestic helpers, similar to a move by Taiwan this year following the fatal shooting of a Taiwan fisherman by the Philippine coastguard.

The sanction will take effect next Wednesday, when Philippine diplomatic and official passport holders will no longer enjoy 14-day visa-free access.

In November, Leung threatened unspecified economic sanctions against the Philippines unless substantial progress was made within a month on compensation.

Philippine President Benigno Aquino has ruled out apologizing for the violence, which occurred after a policeman who had just been fired seized a coach carrying the tourists.

The rescue bid and shooting was broadcast live on television. The sacked policeman was also killed.

(Additional reporting by Twinnie Siu; Editing by Anne Marie Roantree and Robert Birsel)

The crimes of one person is not the crime of whole nation the city of manila and the manila PNP is at fault which mayor erap has done so the President is not at fault and should not apology at all.

Hong kong should apology for the mistreatment of foriegn nations in the city for decades and they should get off their high horses

Hong kong should apology for the mistreatment of foriegn nations in the city for decades and they should get off their high horses

We treat our maids very nicely.

When I was growing up in Hong Kong, my family had several maids, and we treated them almost like members of the family.

If any of them feel disadvantaged in Hong Kong, maybe they should improve their Cantonese speaking skills.

The "political issues" between Chinese and Filipinos don't have any effect on how we treat individual people.

We treat our maids very nicely.

When I was growing up in Hong Kong, my family had several maids, and we treated them almost like members of the family.

If any of them feel disadvantaged in Hong Kong, maybe they should improve their Cantonese speaking skills.

The "political issues" between Chinese and Filipinos don't have any effect on how we treat individual people.

Ya sure and unicorns are real creatures get off your high horses

The crimes of one person is not the crime of whole nation the city of manila and the manila PNP is at fault which mayor erap has done so the President is not at fault and should not apology at all.

This is why you have too low IQ. It wasn't about the killer. It was the stupid action of your GOVERNMENT SPONSOR rescue team, which is a joke of a team, failed to save life of foreign citizen. In response, your government and your president did not even acknowledged this mistake and offer apology. It is typical of your savage, uncivilized behavior that make HK people angry. It's the same situation with Taiwanese fisherman getting killed by your coast guard.

This is why you have too low IQ. It wasn't about the killer. It was the stupid action of your GOVERNMENT SPONSOR rescue team, which is a joke of a team, failed to save life of foreign citizen. In response, your government and your president did not even acknowledged this mistake and offer apology. It is typical of your savage, uncivilized behavior that make HK people angry. It's the same situation with Taiwanese fisherman getting killed by your coast guard.

hahaha again the crime one person is not the crime of the whole nation get off your high horse

If Hong Kong's sanctions don't have any positive results then maybe Hong Kong needs to be more aggressive or nothing will happen.

If Hong Kong's sanctions don't have any positive results then maybe Hong Kong needs to be more aggressive or nothing will happen.
This will have very little effect. HK laws are really a joke i must say. I saw on news a bitch slapped a police officer and not complying to his demands. If this woman did this in the US, her face will be on the pavement.

hahaha again the crime one person is not the crime of the whole nation get off your high horse
Are you stupid by chance? I give you an analogy. If you are the CEO of a human security company and your customer is being held by terrorist. You send in your security guard employees to save and protect, but instead you fail that result in the death of your customer's life. Being a CEO, should you be responsible for your company failure? Hello, banana, get a brain! This is why I am amazed with your low IQ.

blah blah get off your high horse bihon trash bin by that logic your kin in hong kong should apology for beating up foreign workers and your imperial government should the same since filipino tourist was killed in china a year ago
Are those foreign workers getting beat up by government employees? Make that distinction, my banana friend.

Are those foreign workers getting beat up by government employees? Make that distinction, my banana friend.

Oh please now your just twisting my post like your arrogant country your running out of things to stay bihon get off your damn high horse

All HK people need to do is hire more Indonesian maids and less pinoy maids and their gov't will apologize

This will have very little effect. HK laws are really a joke i must say. I saw on news a bitch slapped a police officer and not complying to his demands. If this woman did this in the US, her face will be on the pavement.

HK polices are well trained, nice and professional, no matter how those mobs abuse them, they just keep claim and act like a Buddha.

Back
Top Bottom