What's new

Hilsa is back on dining table of common man

thesolar65

Reaction score
Country
India
With yield being abundant, Hilsa is back in the kitchen bringing joy for both fishermen and fish lovers in Odisha.

Last week, one KG of Hilsa was being sold as high as Rs 800-1000 range in Paradip and adjoining marketplaces. But the prices have nosedived for the past two days following enhanced catch. The price has come down to common buyers' affordable range of Rs 200-300 a KG.

"It's good news for fishermen communities. The return from seasonal Hilsa fish is a bonus for them. Since past three years, hilsa catch was on a lower side. Those living on fishing wait for the hilsa season to earn the extra sum. But they were not able to reap additional benefits following low yield. We are hopeful of fishermen compensating the deficit of past years," said District Fisheries Officer of Kendrapara, Gyan Ranjan Samal.

"The yield was negligible last week. But it has picked up since the past three days. Earning from fishing has also multiplied consequent with increase in catch. We had skipped fishing for a day due to bad weather. Now, we are going to resume hilsa fishing," said a traditional marine fisherman, Ranjit Majumdar.

"There was 45-day-long fishing ban from April 15 till May 31 in view of breeding season. Though the fishing activity restarted from June, operation has been interrupted on several occasions thereafter due to frequent formation of low pressure. The fishermen communities were lying low. Greater yield from Hilsa would be able to do away with the lean phase," said Kendrapara District Wing President, Orissa State Traditional Marine Fish-workers' Union, Tushar Sardar.

"Hilsa is now being sold at Rs 200-300 a kg range depending on its size. The price is expected to stay on the lower side in the coming days. Now it is within the affordable range of middle and lower middle class buyers" Paradip-based Hilsa trader, Ranjit Kumar Behera said.

"We savour hilsa curry. Drop in price has given us the opportunity to buy hilsa," said a local Himanshu Sekhar Dash.

Hilsa is a sensitive fish species. And its breeding ground is mostly concentrated in the confluence of river and oceanic waters. After being bred in fresh water, the fish makes its way to seawater again by undertaking a return journey to confluence points.

Hilsa is back on dining table of common man | Business Standard News

@jaunty @scorpionx @DRAY @Dem!god @Sidak @Indischer @Indrani @wolfschanzze @levina @BDforever @desert warrior @Dash @Robinhood Pandey and other Hilsa fish lovers from India and Bangladesh. This rate will continue for a short period and if possible buy a lot, cut it and keep it in deep freezer and eat to your content. BTW if anybody is not a Hilsa lover from the above mentioned, then sorry. Please inform other members who are Hilsa lovers.

@Skull and Bones, Tum udhar baith ke research karo, Hum idhar Hilsa aahar karte hain.....:yay:

With yield being abundant, Hilsa is back in the kitchen bringing joy for both fishermen and fish lovers in Odisha.

Last week, one KG of Hilsa was being sold as high as Rs 800-1000 range in Paradip and adjoining marketplaces. But the prices have nosedived for the past two days following enhanced catch. The price has come down to common buyers' affordable range of Rs 200-300 a KG.

"It's good news for fishermen communities. The return from seasonal Hilsa fish is a bonus for them. Since past three years, hilsa catch was on a lower side. Those living on fishing wait for the hilsa season to earn the extra sum. But they were not able to reap additional benefits following low yield. We are hopeful of fishermen compensating the deficit of past years," said District Fisheries Officer of Kendrapara, Gyan Ranjan Samal.

"The yield was negligible last week. But it has picked up since the past three days. Earning from fishing has also multiplied consequent with increase in catch. We had skipped fishing for a day due to bad weather. Now, we are going to resume hilsa fishing," said a traditional marine fisherman, Ranjit Majumdar.

"There was 45-day-long fishing ban from April 15 till May 31 in view of breeding season. Though the fishing activity restarted from June, operation has been interrupted on several occasions thereafter due to frequent formation of low pressure. The fishermen communities were lying low. Greater yield from Hilsa would be able to do away with the lean phase," said Kendrapara District Wing President, Orissa State Traditional Marine Fish-workers' Union, Tushar Sardar.

"Hilsa is now being sold at Rs 200-300 a kg range depending on its size. The price is expected to stay on the lower side in the coming days. Now it is within the affordable range of middle and lower middle class buyers" Paradip-based Hilsa trader, Ranjit Kumar Behera said.

"We savour hilsa curry. Drop in price has given us the opportunity to buy hilsa," said a local Himanshu Sekhar Dash.

Hilsa is a sensitive fish species. And its breeding ground is mostly concentrated in the confluence of river and oceanic waters. After being bred in fresh water, the fish makes its way to seawater again by undertaking a return journey to confluence points.

Hilsa is back on dining table of common man | Business Standard News

@jaunty @scorpionx @DRAY @Dem!god @Sidak @Indischer @Indrani @wolfschanzze @levina @BDforever @desert warrior @Dash @Robinhood Pandey and other Hilsa fish lovers from India and Bangladesh. This rate will continue for a short period and if possible buy a lot, cut it and keep it in deep freezer and eat to your content. BTW if anybody is not a Hilsa lover from the above mentioned, then sorry. Please inform other members who are Hilsa lovers.

@Skull and Bones, Tum udhar baith ke research karo, Hum idhar Hilsa aahar karte hain.....:yay:
I love that FISH!,
In AP we call it POLASA!
and it's expensive found only during Monsoon season.
Cooking this fish means you are honoring your Guests in AP. :D

I hate hilsa and Hilsa eaters . Motherf***ing Hilsa has so many bones that picking meat off bones can make you dextrous as faak .

That's because Hilsa is called queen among the fish and tasty too, for which one has to labour hard (but not for expert eaters like @jaunty (I am quoting you because some where you told that you can get into a hilsa eating competition with anyone)or me or anyone?). In Odisha we have a saying "Chakiri kariba Polici au Machha khaiba ilishi" means "If you want to eat Hilsha you have to have job of a Policeman"!!

I hate this fish.. I get exhausted eating a few pieces.. :tdown:

For quick eating for beginners the fish has to be bigger in size i.e more than 1.5 Kg (The bigger size has bigger bones, so it is easy to get it separated). But one has to pay through the nose (Rs.1500 to 2000 per Kg.)

That's because Hilsa is called queen among the fish and tasty too, for which one has to labour hard (but not for expert eaters like @jaunty or me or anyone?). In Odisha we have a saying "Chakiri kariba Polici au Machha khaiba ilishi" means "If you want to eat Hilsha you have to have job of a Policeman"!!

For quick eating for beginners the fish has to be bigger in size i.e more than 1.5 Kg (The bigger size has bigger bones, so it is easy to get it separated). But one has to pay through the nose (Rs.1500 to 2000 per Kg.)
does it really taste that different from rohu?

Yes, specially when it is cooked carefully.Or else why the rate difference is that much? Ask any Bengali and Odia on this forum.
the rate difference is due to suppy and demand.. hilsa is difficult to farm.

That's because Hilsa is called queen among the fish and tasty too, for which one has to labour hard (but not for expert eaters like @jaunty (I am quoting you because some where you told that you can get into a hilsa eating competition with anyone)or me or anyone?). In Odisha we have a saying "Chakiri kariba Polici au Machha khaiba ilishi" means "If you want to eat Hilsha you have to have job of a Policeman"!!

That's because i love to do things which i hate to make myself strong :D .

If it was up to me i would ban that fish from human diet .

Back
Top Bottom