What's new

High F-35 cost may force Japan to review next main fighter choice+

pkd

Reaction score

WASHINGTON, March 11 (AP) - (Kyodo)—The U.S. government told a congressional panel Thursday that the procurement cost of the F-35 next-generation stealth fighter will likely nearly double from the initial estimate to $95 million.
The higher-than-expected cost could prompt Japan to think twice about selecting the aircraft as the nation's next-generation mainstay fighter, observers said.

Tokyo sees the F-35 as the primary candidate to replace F-4 fighters currently deployed in Japan's Air Self-Defense Force. It aims to decide on its mainstay fighter by this fall.

An F-35 was estimated to cost around $50 million in 2001, but the cost has been pushed up to a range of $80 million to $95 million after a series of difficulties during the development stages, Ashton Carter, under secretary of defense for acquisition, technology and logistics, told the Senate Committee on Arms Services.

The U.S. forces plans to procure 2,443 F-35 fighters.

Carter also told the Senate panel that the start of the F-35 deployment by the U.S. Air Force is expected to be delayed to 2016 after Secretary of the U.S. Air Force Michael Donley said the deployment was likely to be postponed to 2015 from initially scheduled 2013.

The only choice they have is PAK FA i guess, cuz raptor is not for trade if they are looking for stealth, or may be they can wait for JXX;)

by all means Japanese wants to buy F-35 even if it costs $180m per unit..they are in dire need to replace aging F-4 phantoms..

by 2017 and up they'll replace their F-15s with their indigenous stealth fighter currently called ATD-X not much is known about it IF us don't create any problems to kill the project like israeli Lavi project..
0be21c888e06efe6e26c66f8ffbdcd50.jpg

Last edited:
Actually japan is more convinced with F22.
But they cant get it.

Yar Money should not be a Problem for Japanese.They can easily buy JSF.

Stealth is an strategic asset you just need 5-10 units

Japan produces its own , F16 falcon version I doubt they are in dire hurry to change things

Just 5-10 units of the F35 would be enough for its needs

The only choice they have is PAK FA i guess, cuz raptor is not for trade if they are looking for stealth, or may be they can wait for JXX;)

I doubt this would happen but i would be for it :tup:

Japans GDP is more than $trillion dollars larger than CHINA.

AT 5.5 TRILLION $$$ jAPAN IS THE SECOND RICHEST NATION ON EARTH.

Japans can afford ANYTHING IT WANTS. even 500 JSF

And since when did budget affect the Japanese? Judging by the two day visit I paid to the place, they seem to be in no hurry to compromise even their economy; one can imagine what priority they would be giving their defense, which already rests on th pillars of a constitution charter that forbids war.

I believe this sudden increment in costs is just to alarm Tokyo to perhaps enter the programme as a member so that there is a bit more inflow of money into the project. With Australia, Netherlands and Norway not very pleased with the current situation in JSAF programme, Japan seems to be an easier option.

JSF and perhaps this ATD-X are the future fighters of Japanese Air Self Defence Force. If the F-35 fails to convince them, Rafale, Typhoons and the latest versions of Gripen are surely up for an offer for them. As some members say here, it would be impossible for Japan to enter into an agreement with Russia and India on something as sensitive as stealth technology. Since the member states for this PAKFA project are the primary investors and also assured customers, this would mean Japan only receiving watered-down versions. Japanese won't be wanting that when its potential threats are spending head over heels on high-tech defense.

highly unlikely for rafale/gripen NG Japan is only looking for a stealth fighter Jet they talking nothing less than F-22 or least JSF.
ATD-X is project that'll take a lot of time and money but it is meant to replace current fighter jets beyond 2020.

highly unlikely for rafale/gripen NG Japan is only looking for a stealth fighter Jet they talking nothing less than F-22 or least JSF.
ATD-X is project that'll take a lot of time and money but it is meant to replace current fighter jets beyond 2020.
Certainly. But there is no way Tokyo can pressure the US Government to give them Raptors. Because if one ally gets it, others will complain of unfair treatment and then Washington would be in trouble. Remember that Australia is also fiercely interested in the Raptors and is doing everything in its power to convince the US Government to open up the sales.

Therefore, I feel that if the US continues a blanket ban on foreign sales of the Raptor, Japanese might be forced to consider other options which logically put the F-15 Silent Eagle, Typhoon and Rafale on top. Gripen might be a bit unlikely choice if Japan has to ever consider it.

They will go along with the purchase regardless of price. They need to replace their older craft.

They will go along with the purchase regardless of price. They need to replace their older craft.
Which will certainly be done with Silent Eagles, JSF and possibly their own fighter the Mtsubishi ATD-X "ShinShin". One thing is concrete though that Tokyo isn't getting the Raptor.

Japan is building 100+ F-2 * f16 Varient with updated avionics at cost of 94 million dollars per plane ...god know what they are putting in those f16 .... they dont need more planes

Japan is building 100+ F-2 * f16 Varient with updated avionics at cost of 94 million dollars per plane ...god know what they are putting in those f16 .... they dont need more planes
That's what happens in cash-rich economies. Japanese see North Koreans and Chinese as a potential threat; which they would never admit in real life due to diplomatic sensitivity.

Other than these two, there is no other country that poses a threat to Tokyo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom