What's new

Hello from Athens, Greece!

Hello everybody! :yahoo:
I am interested in military technology and geopolitics.
I hope that i can learn a lot here and meet people from around the world!

welcome abroad, enjoy your stay....

on a personal note, how is greek economic situation affecting general public, since the media is giving a very tense and grim picture of greek's economic future.....

Thank you everybody! Of course we will get along with Turkish friends.
I believe that all disagreements can be solved with discussion and reason! :cheers:

Excellent, this forum could always use more rational and pragmatic individuals.

Hello and welcome :wave: Greece was one of the countries my mom and dad visited on their honeymoon. They told me stories of how wonderfully they were treated there and all the fascinating things they saw.

thats when they didnt have this debt problem :)

thats when they didnt have this debt problem :)

Yes, it was quite a few years ago when my parents visited. I personally have always wanted to visit the island of Mykonos.

Despite the internal issues, Greece from what I understand is still a very popular tourist destination.:)

welcome abroad, enjoy your stay....

on a personal note, how is greek economic situation affecting general public, since the media is giving a very tense and grim picture of greek's economic future.....
Let me briefly update you about the current economic situation here. The situation is pretty difficult.
The main points in my opinion are the following.
The unemployment rate is huge, about 27% overall, and about 50% for people up to 25 years old.
In some areas of northern Greece, youth unemployment reaches 60-70%.
Also public debt is not viable as it rises up to 180% of GDP ( when the crisis started it was around 125% ) , and the previous governement sold and privatized many profitable public companies as instructed by the EU and IMF.
The wages are cut even at half, the inequalities become more severe, but the prizes have not dropped as well.
All these come as a result of the economy being drained by austerity mesures.
In January 25th a new governement was elected and a coalision of anti-austerity parties was formed.
( SYRIZA -coalition of the radical left but pro-european, they want to change how the EU works and
Independent Greeks - right, populist and slightly eurosceptic )This peculiar coalition was formed in a basis of anti-austerity rhetoric.It is the first governement in 40 years that does not include New Democracy the big traditional center-right party and PASOK the big center-left social democrat party. So we consider it as a big change.
Now the new governement tries to change the terms of our agreement with the EU and IMF in order to put the economy back to growth. So we wait to see what happens. Until now the EU states and especially Germany seem irreconcilable.The challenge is huge because if it fails, the neo-nazi Golden Dawn may gather power from the dissapointed voters, so the situation is not stable at all yet.

Welcome to PDF friend , and i hope you will start posting about , greece military news , about euipment , strategic affairs n many more , once again welcome

Back
Top Bottom