What's new

Heartland Thesis of Geopolitics

Thought provoking stuff on a popular geopolitical thesis.
We had a enormous school library. I was a avid reader and many a lunchtimes were spent reading up on the world. We also had regular supply of National Geographic, Scientific American. Cultivated a intense interest in the world out there. Now of course everything is available on the net.

Thanks, i thought You are between 35 to 40.
No worries. Your not the first person who has said this.

Hearthland theory make sense even going back thousands of years and how proto-IE from current day Russia/Ukraine region invaded western europe, central south asia, Iran etc

Ancestors of turko-mongols and proto IE dominated heartland.

Yeah, heartland makes a sense in the traditional context of increasing political influence. But some six years ago, I challenged it in a research paper while examining the naval aviation trends in the Indian Ocean. My conclusion was an endorsement of Spykman's rimland theory. Paper was published by National Defense University Journal Margalla Paper. You can read it on the link below

http://www.ndu.edu.pk/issra/issra_p...galla-Papers-2012/05-Eurasian-Geopolitics.pdf

For me the most interesting was information about the cost for transportation. For tellurocratic states (Russia, China, etc.) to have a trade advantage over the thallasocratic (USA, UK, Japan etc.) we need to make the cost for transportation by rail cheaper than by sea. The second option is the development of the Northern Sea Route. This route is almost 100% controlled by Russia, and it is cheaper and faster than through the Suez Canal. Given that Russia/China have reached parity in military power with the West, I am 100% confident that the 21st century will be the century of Tellurocracy or Hearthland - if we will nullify control of USA over most of world trade routes.

Last edited:
Would you call yourself 'Western' in the civizational/cultural, ethnic or racial sense? Of course I know your politically estranged from the West.

I ask because I had a long discussion with @Iqbal Ali pver this. He said you are not Western. I am born and bred in Britain. Last week my central heating broke down. The local shopkeeper told me there was this guy called 'Sergey' who was looking for work and was a central heating engineer. I called Segey and we agreed ona price. He did the work along with his dad. They were from Moscow and had moved to UK five years ago. What struck me was other then his accent he 'fitted in' better win UK then I do in the fullest sense of the word.

Would you call yourself 'Western' in the civizational/cultural, ethnic or racial sense? Of course I know your politically estranged from the West.

I ask because I had a long discussion with @Iqbal Ali pver this. He said you are not Western. I am born and bred in Britain. Last week my central heating broke down. The local shopkeeper told me there was this guy called 'Sergey' who was looking for work and was a central heating engineer. I called Segey and we agreed ona price. He did the work along with his dad. They were from Moscow and had moved to UK five years ago. What struck me was other then his accent he 'fitted in' better win UK then I do in the fullest sense of the word.
I would rather call it Christian or European Civilization, because mordern day "Western" almost 100% means Anglo-American (Germany, France, Spain and other former European Empires more like provinces today). I believe Russians are Europeans by race, religion and culture, but surely are not Westerners in its today geopolitical sense.
I consider it an annoying omission that term "West" in its Trans-Atlantic meaning has almost completely displaced the meaning of good old Europe, its glorious days.

Last edited:
I would rather call it Christian or European Civilization, because mordern day "Western" almost 100% means Anglo-American (Germany, France, Spain and other former European Empires more like provinces today). I believe Russians are Europeans by race, religion and culture, but surely are not Westerners in its today geopolitical sense.
Exactly what I said. In the geo-political sense 'West' is a Anglo-American order with subsidiary countries. Russia and the 'West' belong to the same civilization grouping but are estranged along the geo-political cleavage.

@Iqbal Ali Thoughts?

We all have a date to meet our Manufacturer, for some of us its before others. The dance with death has only one winner:(.
True. But do everything to slow down that escalator. That you have some control over.

Back
Top Bottom