What's new

HAL To Reconfigure The ALH Dhruv As A Dedicated Air Ambulance

Brahmos_2

Reaction score
Country
India
149376_429161873774287_873064229_n.jpg

Hindustan Aeronautics Limited [HAL] recently issued a global Request For Quotation [RFQ] seeking bidders to help turn the civilian version of its Advanced Light Helicopter [ALH], Dhruv, into a fully functional Air Ambulance platform. The accompanying document stipulates that the modified chopper be able to accommodate 2 patients lying down on stretchers with provision for a doctor & a medical attendant to accompany them during flight. It is also required that the helicopter be kitted with on-board Oxygen cylinders, Defibrillator, Ventilator, among other necessary equipment needed to attend to them during the 'Golden Hour'. Once completed, it would have to pass all relevant certification necessary for operation. It appears that HAL has gained suitable appreciation of the relatively new concept of On-Condition Maintenance as it specifies that LRUs being used in this project be capable of being serviced in accordance with this philosophy.

HAL-Advanced-Light-Helicopter-ALH-Dhruv-Air-Ambulance-01-R%25255B3%25255D.jpg

It is unclear, though, whether this conversion is being carried out in response to any specific external work-order in HAL's hands. It has given out no indications of any 3rd party operator for this helicopter. It does, however, appear there is a definite customer for this modified bird, since HAL has stipulated that the winning vendor be able to provide a 30-year life-cycle support for the on-board medical systems, along with provisions for spares. Perhaps, this may be inducted into its own heli ambulance service, the 'Vayu Vahan', that presently uses a similarly modified 'Chetak' helicopter, a 60s design of French origin, to do the job. Additionally, it could also be used to showcase the different possible applications that the Dhruv could be adapted for. Turkey from 2008 has been operating three such modified Dhruv's as Air Ambulances, that it has taken on a 5 year lease from HAL. According to the agreement signed, it has the option to purchase them at the end of its lease period, if it so desires. The lease period is to get over this year, in 2013. One needs to keep one's eyes open for development on this front.

HAL-Advanced-Light-Helicopter-ALH-Dhruv-Air-Ambulance-02-R%25255B3%25255D.jpg

This RFQ also brings back into focus an earlier news report which suggested that HAL was to supply Peru with 2 such similarly configured versions of the ALH. However, since that time there seems to have been no news of any actual delivery having taken place, despite reports of the contract being signed. Neither does HAL list the country as one of its customers on its official website. Reporters appear to have jumped the gun on this one. Unlikely that the RFQ floated is wrt to executing the Peruvian order - taking 5 years to execute a contract for 2 choppers seems too inordinate a delay. Moreover, HAL has stated it would provide only one airframe for the modification. What is interesting, though, is that in the Peru [non]deal, that followed the confirmed Turkish deal, HAL was quoted on record to be looking for a European partner to carry out the modification. Weighing this bit of news with the earlier Turkish report, one could conclude that HAL had supplied the ALH Dhruv in the baseline configuration, & Turkey itself carried out the application-specific conversion. It might explain this search for a vendor to do a similar job.

Recent events in the country have only highlighted the need for such life-saving systems to be available in sufficient numbers when the need arises.

HAL To Reconfigure The ALH Dhruv As A Dedicated Air Ambulance - AA Me, IN

Although our media still only talks about the C130, or even a Ch 47 that wasn't even present in the recent rescue operations :rolleyes:, I think the performance of the Dhruv won't go unnoticed and might translate into more orders or faster productions. The LUH competition defitinely should get a boost now and the Mi helicopters did a hell of a job too!
Wrt MEDIVAC, the Dhruv is definitely a good option for this, especially since it's made to be used in all kinds of climate and geographical condition in India. However, I think HAL needs to focus on NG helicopter technologies now, to increase speed and range similar to the NG developments of Eurocopter, Sikorsky, Mil or Kamov. The advantages of such helicopters especially in the MEDIVAC and SAR operations are crucial to save lifes!

As I said before instead of looking out we should look in. HAL should approach to CMs of our states.

- All naxal infested states could use a medivac
- All states should and can have 5/6 such platforms under their possession so the incidents like Uttaranchal can easily dealt with.
- It would be more easier to sell it to others if we ourselves are using it in numbers.

HAL should also concentrate on rectifying glitches in Naval Dhruv which can use in Navy on Aircraft Carriers, Destroyers, Frigates, Corvettes, Offshore Patrol Vessels etc. & for Coast Gaurd which bring more orders for Dhruv & save valuable money of the Country.

HAL should also concentrate on rectifying glitches in Naval Dhruv which can use in Navy on Aircraft Carriers, Destroyers, Frigates, Corvettes, Offshore Patrol Vessels etc. & for Coast Gaurd which bring more orders for Dhruv & save valuable money of the Country.
I think it's too late for such hopes wrt the N-ALH. HAL should be focusing on the IMRH for the future.

As I said before instead of looking out we should look in. HAL should approach to CMs of our states.

- All naxal infested states could use a medivac
- All states should and can have 5/6 such platforms under their possession so the incidents like Uttaranchal can easily dealt with.
- It would be more easier to sell it to others if we ourselves are using it in numbers.

I am 100% agree with you but what about their pathetic production rate. If they got 100 orders from civilian sector they they took near 5 years to fulfill it . Its the matter shame that how a more than half century old aeronautical entity has such pathetic production rate. HAL should be reorganized & speedup their production rate & concentrate on military aircrafts & give licence to NAL to produce civilian vesions.

I am 100% agree with you but what about their pathetic production rate. If they got 100 orders from civilian sector they they took near 5 years to fulfill it . Its the matter shame that how a more than half century old aeronautical entity has such pathetic production rate. HAL should be reorganized & speedup their production rate & concentrate on military aircrafts & give licence to NAL to produce civilian vesions.

100 orders in 5 years ie 20/year is termed as a "good" production rate friend or may be better.

I think it's too late for such hopes wrt the N-ALH. HAL should be focusing on the IMRH for the future.

N-ALH should be also be focussed because it is used in high numbers compared to IMRH because Indian Destroyers & Frigates uses two helicopters, Corvettes & offshore Patrol Vessels uses them. If they rectify the problems of N-ALH then its got more than 60 orders alone for Indian Navy & Indian Coast Gaurd. If we compare N-ALH with Z-9C then it easily beat it if they solve some technical glitches.

100 orders in 5 years ie 20/year is termed as a "good" production rate friend or may be better.

Then what happened to previous order of Armed Forces & who says 20 per year is good production rate of a medium lift helicopter for a $2 billion aeronautical company:suicide2:

Then what happened to previous order of Armed Forces & who says 20 per year is good production rate of a medium lift helicopter for a $2 billion aeronautical company:suicide2:

What do you know about Maintaining production line ???

Rafael production line is capable of producing 31 ac/yr. how many it is producing right now ??? 11/12 ???

If your line run out of work order you have to close it down.

What do you know about Maintaining production line ???

Rafael production line is capable of producing 31 ac/yr. how many it is producing right now ??? 11/12 ???

If your line run out of work order you have to close it down.

You give a wrong example because Rafael is got only domestic orders till date.
You should give example of F-35 production line which has capability to produce only one aircraft a day
How many helicopter in Dhruv class we imported for VIP , ambulance , charted services , private use. Those helicopters cost twice compare to Dhruv because of heavy taxation on CBU. If someone want to buy ALH then he would wait for near 5 years.
Now judgement in your court that ALH have not sufficient order potencial or HAL could not avail its to customers in justificable period.

You give a wrong example because Rafael is got only domestic orders till date.
You should give example of F-35 production line which has capability to produce only one aircraft a day
How many helicopter in Dhruv class we imported for VIP , ambulance , charted services , private use. Those helicopters cost twice compare to Dhruv because of heavy taxation on CBU. If someone want to buy ALH then he would wait for near 5 years.
Now judgement in your court that ALH have not sufficient order potencial or HAL could not avail its to customers in justificable period.

I am pretty sure I give you correct example.
F-35 is for multiple countries and Rafael/Dhruv are for just home countries for now.

If Rafael production line would have produced at full capacity the order of French AF would have been over and Dassault would have been forced to close it down.

F-35 one per day ??? Lets wait for year then. @sancho what do you say about this ???

And your point being ??? Cost for private sector is always high. If HAL get the big order then they too will increse the prodction capacity - hopefully.

BTW can you backup the claim of 5 year waiting ??? I couldnt find anything. AFAIK there is only one export order

And comparing HAL with the aviation giant ....

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty sure I give you correct example.
F-35 is for multiple countries and Rafael/Dhruv are for just home countries for now.

If Rafael production line would have produced at full capacity the order of French AF would have been over and Dassault would have been forced to close it down.

F-35 one per day ??? Lets wait for year then. @sancho what do you say about this ???

And your point being ??? Cost for private sector is always high. If HAL get the big order then they too will increse the prodction capacity - hopefully.

BTW can you backup the claim of 5 year waiting ??? I couldnt find anything. AFAIK there is only one export order

ALH has more domestic orders compare to exports as I mention in my previous post. HAL current task is to increase production of ALH is 36 per year then you could calculate how long waiting would be for civilian customers.
Rafael case is different because France does not have sufficient domestic orders which can generate enough demand to exploit full production capability to reduce cost.
What is your opinion , How many demand for dual engine light helicopters for country like India
For F-35 production rate
What is full-rate production, and how does the overall production strategy affect the cost of the program?
Full-rate production of the F-35 Lightning II will be a pace of more than 200 jets per year, or about one completed each working day. At this volume, all F-35 customers benefit from economies of scale in both aircraft price, and in providing components and systems

https://www.f35.com/resources/faqs/category/all/30

ALH has more domestic orders compare to exports as I mention in my previous post. HAL current task is to increase production of ALH is 36 per year then you could calculate how long waiting would be for civilian customers.
Rafael case is different because France does not have sufficient domestic orders which can generate enough demand to exploit full production capability to reduce cost.
What is your opinion , How many demand for dual engine light helicopters for country like India
For F-35 production rate

https://www.f35.com/resources/faqs/category/all/30

My dear friend please give me some link about the orders to HAL. I searched their website but couldn't find anything about orders.

Rafael case isn't different. The objective is to maintain the production line as long as possible for future options. If you are saying HAL has huge work order and is sitting on it. Please give some source to that information.

+ as far as Lockheed Martine is concerned they have promised many thing for F-35 and I really didn't follow the process. So @sancho or @Abingdonboy will be more in position to comment on that.

Back
Top Bottom