What's new

Guessing game on why Kerry stayed longer in India

Yes. The often quoted Article 9, says nothing about defence co-operation. It says will hold consultation. And its validity expires in 2021.

The treaty also says MIC tech exchanges. The Russians could help with the aircraft tech too. But they are not, right?
Will get back to you later. :tup:

Teach what do these words mean,you never taught me when i was a your student(one of the reasons why i left school)?:what::what::what:
Didn't get the notification.
@WebMaster the issue persists.

Seem very puzzling. May be he wants to enjoy monsoon.

The often quoted Article 9, says nothing about defence co-operation. It says will hold consultation. And its validity expires in 2021
consultation, yes.
But China and Russia have been carrying out exercises both of bilateral and collective (SCO) formats. Article 9 is the basic document of FCT.

consultation, yes.
But China and Russia have been carrying out exercises both of bilateral and collective (SCO) formats. Article 9 is the basic document of FCT.

Article 9 is one of the points. Just because wiki says it is important does not make it important. If there is going to be an military pact, then there is no vague mention. It is explicit. Like NATO. Else, it is open to interpretation by either side based on their needs at that point of time. For e.g. If China goes to war with Vietnam will Russia intervene? Russian bomber was downed by Turkey, did China send troops? All this about Sino Russia military pact based on a Friendship document is utter rubbish.

At the end of the day, the pact is what the pact says in black and white.

Military exercises are carried out by all countries. Sometimes under a particular banner. IN has most number of exercises with the USN. Does that mean IN is going to get involved in a war in the ME if USN is involved?

So, let's be clear on what legal documents say. And not what they should say.

Article 9 is one of the points.
and then there is article 7 and 16 which is also on similar premises.

If there is going to be an military pact, then there is no vague mention. It is explicit. Like NATO. Else, it is open to interpretation by either side based on their needs at that point of time. For e.g. If China goes to war with Vietnam will Russia intervene? Russian bomber was downed by Turkey, did China send troops? All this about Sino Russia military pact based on a Friendship document is utter rubbish.
Nobody said they have formed a bilateral military alliance. But it is vacuous to not take their "cooperation" seriously.
If China goes to war with Vietnam will Russia intervene? Russian bomber was downed by Turkey, did China send troops? All this about Sino Russia military pact based on a Friendship document is utter rubbish.
It might also mean that Russia will be a mute spectator if China threatens India.

and then there is article 7 and 16 which is also on similar premises.

Nobody said they have formed a bilateral military alliance. But it is vacuous to not take their "cooperation" seriously.

It might also mean that Russia will be a mute spectator if China threatens India.

Yes, I have actually read the entire document and I am aware of what each article says. The point being, they talk about co-operation. Co-operation is not equal to defence pact. We are developing a fifth generation plane with the Russians. If anybody remotely looks into the Arihant, one will realise the amount of Russian tech know how. If you look at why the talking about the Kaliber, you will see where the Nirbhay is going to go. All this is co-operation too?

The Chinese have been wanting engine tech. I do not see the Russians giving them, if relations were this close.

In the Sino India scenario, of course Russia will not get involved. They have relations with both. Its like saying in a Iran Saudi slug fest, India will not get involved.

It is important to distinguish between co-operation and mutual defence pacts. NATO is a mutual defence pact. The Sino Russian agreement is a enhanced tech co-operation agreement between 2 sovereign countries. Again, like I said, till a document actually says military intervention or deployment of armed forces to protect the territorial sovereignty of the other, its nothing but bilateral co-operation.

Back
Top Bottom