What's new

Greece owned German Type 214 Submarines for Sale, Is India Interested?

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score

The financial crises in Greece has claimed another victim, the four German Type 214 subs the Greek Navy bought, but was unable to pay for. One of the boats was built in Germany, the other three in a Greek shipyard. But the Greeks owed the German manufacturer, and the Greek shipyard, nearly $800 million.

The Greek government has now admitted that the cash is not available, and is not likely to be for some time. So the four 214s will be auctioned off to the highest bidder.

Submarines: The Repo Man Grabs Greek U-Boats

SHIP_SSK_U-214_lg.jpg

India wud Rather buy All New Submarine for 10Bn$ For New Submarines

The financial crises in Greece has claimed another victim, the four German Type 214 subs the Greek Navy bought, but was unable to pay for. One of the boats was built in Germany, the other three in a Greek shipyard. But the Greeks owed the German manufacturer, and the Greek shipyard, nearly $800 million.

The Greek government has now admitted that the cash is not available, and is not likely to be for some time. So the four 214s will be auctioned off to the highest bidder.

Submarines: The Repo Man Grabs Greek U-Boats

We are proceeding with our own road map for submarines.. we may rent from Russia but i doubt this... I guess lanka needs it to counter Indian navy...

If there is a bidding I will say its a good deal if wwe can go for these subs. But the one thing is that it might need another budget than our current plan for 12 subs.

Certainly worth a look.

thanks but no thanks.
we are not into buying "used" material.

Thats a stupid attitude. The boat is hardly used, and the reason for not paying is lack of funds, not any technical problems. One of the advantages of buying these would be quick addition to the navy, since they are already built and probably underwent sea trials.

we should really look into the details. these are amongst the deadliest diesel-electric subs in the world, and can be bought at a bargain since Greece might be desperate to sell.

I think, Pakistan should go far it . Our economy never allow us to buy expensive brand new one.
Pakistan Navy and Air force already have experience to buy old stuff and convert them to latest one (Type-21 and Mirage fighter plane (ROSE 1,2,3)) .But in case one of Type 214, these are latest one and ready to induct.Whereas, in case of new order to German shipyard it will take long time.

Financing can be done by taking urgent soft loan from Saudi Arabia.

Last edited:
I think, Pakistan should go far it . Our economy never allows us to buy expensive brand new one.
Pakistan Navy and Air force already have experience to buy old stuff and convert them to latest one (Type-21 and Mirage fighter plane (ROSE 1,2,3)) .But in case one of Type 214, these are latest one and ready to induct.Whereas, in case of new order to German shipyard it will take long time.

Financing can be done by taking urgent soft loan from Saudi Arabia.
*sigh*

"While cutting down macroeconomic targets for 2010-11, the Asian Development Bank (ADB) on Tuesday declared there was no money left for running the federal government after paying for defence, subsidies, interest on loans and pensions."

Source

Well this not a bad option but I thing if we want to we self sufficient in future so thts not good ..

Cause if we made them in our own shipyards with germen help so we will learn some lessens from them and that can help us in future

But if Indian Navy urgently need some sub so this is golden opportunity

*sigh*

"While cutting down macroeconomic targets for 2010-11, the Asian Development Bank (ADB) on Tuesday declared there was no money left for running the federal government after paying for defence, subsidies, interest on loans and pensions."

Source
Do you want to come accross as a person which belongs to a nation, who laugh on people more than self introspection?.

I think its not required. The thread is all about Subs and buying. This will only derail the thread buddy.

India have money and the need what we also have the bastards in bureaucracy and politicians :hitwall::hitwall: so the matter of fact is we can't have anything even if god comes to us and offer it.

thanks but no thanks.
we are not into buying "used" material.

Humble guess, may be u are new to defence related matters

* The boat is less than 6 years old

* Will be offered for sale at a reasonable price

* Third and the most important factor is that HDW is competing for the 6 submarine contract for IN and if we buy this one U-214 will have definate chance of winning and the final nail in the German -Pakistan deal

:cheers:

Those subs are not on offer for any country, especially not
auctioned off to the highest bidder
In fact it is very likely that Greece will pay them soon, ironically with the money they get from Germany itself!
Germany and France are the countries that pays the biggest part of the loans to rescue Greece, but they are also the countries from whom Greece is buying the most military products (fighters, ships, subs, tanks...). So if Greece can not pay the bills for these procurements, it will hit the defence industry in Germany and France too and that is why the requirements of the loans says, that Greece has to reduce their spendings dramatically, but not for defence procurements.
As I said, it is likely that Greece will pay back those depts they have at German, or French deals and moreover will be ready to order new stuff from these countries again (Frigats from France, 2 more U214, UAEs Mirage 2000-9 and later even Rafale, or EF are on the list).

Politics and big lobbies always goes hand in hand, not only in eastern countries!

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom