What's new

Google removes SmeshApp used by Pakistan to snoop on Indian troops

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
New Delhi:Google on Tuesday removed the malicious SmeshApp from its playstore after a CNN-IBN investigation revealed that Pakistan was using it to snoop on Indian military personnel. The app was used to access crucial information on troop movements and counter terrorism operations.

The CNN-IBN investigation had revealed that Pakistani agency Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) was using the malicious software to tap smartphones of military personnel.

Even the personal computers of the soldiers were infected with the spyware app SmeshApp which was easily available on Google playstores till late Monday night. Once installed, the app used to steal all stored information, tracking all movements, phone calls, text messages and even photographs. Virtually, the mobile phone and the Facebook account would start acting as a data base.

The information so collected is stored on a server located in Germany and is hosted by a man based out of Karachi.

Also read: Honeytraps on Facebook, spyware: How Pakistan is snooping on Indian troops

The investigation showed, that using this method, Pakistan handlers were even getting crucial information on the movement of troops following the terror attack on the Indian Air Force base in Pathankot in January 2016.

The soldiers are lured through Facebook accounts by honeytraps set by ISI. It is learnt that more than 10 such fake FB profiles are are now being used and that dozens of Indian military personnel are now unknowingly in touch with Pakistani handlers.

The three services of the armed forces - Army, Navy and Air Force - apart from the Border Security Force (BSF) and Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) are also targeted. The handlers identify 'soft' targets before trying to lure them. While field-level officers are the prime targets, even retired personnel are not spared.

Google removes SmeshApp used by Pakistan to snoop on Indian troops - IBNLive

wutttt???
:blink:

gamer officers beware!!!

huh?

@Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA
Tons of spywares are now available for android. What makes it more dangerous is that they dont even take suspicious permissions. Like this TapLogger : Which can steal passwords using just sensors or THIS APP : which can create a 3d model of the room simply from taking pictures at random intervals. Infact fingerprints can also be stolen simply by taking high resolution pictures of hand, check THIS

wutttt???
:blink:

gamer officers beware!!!

huh?

@Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA

I actually agree.. i dont have a whatsapp, FB account or even a linkedin.. lol.. Last social media account i had was ORKUT before i deleted it..

Have you wondered why a normal app now a days seeks so many permission including knowing your location, pictures and what more .. let me give 4 SS just as an example from google

650x391xandroid-simplified-app-permission-groups-in-google-play.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.ZBfDnF_OEf.png

App-machtigingen.jpg

AndroidGooglePlay-Permissions.jpg

permissions.jpg

etc etc

we just press accept accept accept.. thats it

Do you see how much information gets collected.. if a good intelligence agency taps into such a app it can very well know 1000 of things about you...

I am not saying its possible for everybody to hack and tap.. But most countries today have dedicated cyber warfare folks who can always do such things...

I seriously think that Defense forces should bar such apps and android phones which has such permissions installed and approved.. Its better if Defense forces tie up say with an Indian Company like Micromax, and buys customized phones with dedicated apps and msgrs which are for internal usage.. and which cannot be hacked by so called upgrades and installations which are downloaded from google stores..

Tons of spywares are now available for android. What makes it more dangerous is that they dont even take suspicious permissions. Like this TapLogger : Which can steal passwords using just sensors or THIS APP : which can create a 3d model of the room simply from taking pictures at random intervals. Infact fingerprints can also be stolen simply by taking high resolution pictures of hand, check THIS
Yes android users face more threat compared to iOS.

I want to know if passwords for app download reduces the risk?

I seriously think that Defense forces should bar such apps and android phones which has such permissions installed and approved.. Its better if Defense forces tie up say with an Indian Company like Micromax, and buys customized phones with dedicated apps and msgrs which are for internal usage.. and which cannot be hacked by so called upgrades and installations which are downloaded from google stores..
I am sure this is one threat Chinese forces would not face. They have their own chinese apps. Lol

I actually agree.. i dont have a whatsapp, FB account or even a linkedin.. lol.. Last social media account i had was ORKUT before i deleted it..

Have you wondered why a normal app now a days seeks so many permission including knowing your location, pictures and what more .. let me give 4 SS just as an example from google

650x391xandroid-simplified-app-permission-groups-in-google-play.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.ZBfDnF_OEf.png

App-machtigingen.jpg

AndroidGooglePlay-Permissions.jpg

permissions.jpg

etc etc

we just press accept accept accept.. thats it

Do you see how much information gets collected.. if a good intelligence agency taps into such a app it can very well know 1000 of things about you...

I am not saying its possible for everybody to hack and tap.. But most countries today have dedicated cyber warfare folks who can always do such things...

thats you have a false wall account. you dont give out your real name but a handle. like me you dont know my real name but my handel blue marlin is on some forums and socail media sites. i use Facebook to talk to co-workers.

But the question arises, why would someone even download a shady, unknown app to begin with? I've never heard of this SmeshApp and obviously one had to download it for it to become effective, it probably couldn't be remotely installed if it was available on the Playstore like that.

thats you have a false wall account. you dont give out your real name but a handle. like me you dont know my real name but my handel blue marlin is on some forums and socail media sites. i use Facebook to talk to co-workers.
Initially i thought of a false profile... But then i decided against it.. You would be shocked that among Defense forums also other than PDF i had not opened another account in other places.. for long i thot of Keypub but then even that i did not...

Handle usage actually is a good idea.. yet i like being not in social media.. half of the time i see people indulging in opinions of likes rating on dresses, looks and what not.. many folks make it a habit to update everything about their life and pics of everything happening around them..

Sadly, i do like my privacy.. so i thought better abstain from it.. for co workers its still plain sms, long back gtalk and normal phone calls..

Surprisingly i am like a Fred Flintstone type when it comes to accepting such technology in daily life....

Surprisingly i am like a Fred Flintstone type when it comes to accepting such technology in daily life....

pretty much the same way here.

I have deleted my facebook, twitter, linkedin,.....orkut was deleted long back.

I was interested in one of research article where scientists warned that our past is increasing rapidly and becoming unmanageable. Ever day, we create more information through various different ways-like photos, social media- than we created the previous day and it is increasing rapidly, maybe exponentially. But of-course, humans have worked around various challenges, they can work around this too.

What about whatsapp, Facebook and skype many Indian serving men fall in so called honey trap just over few pics randomly available online....its ironic on the other side a full mustache holder Khan fooling them...Kabhi aoo na peshawar khashboo laga k.. lolss

Back
Top Bottom