What's new

Goodbye GPS! India Desi Navigation System IRNSS Is Revolutionary

sats are operational already. check that first. :p
Not all..... out of 7, 4 has been launched, 3 left.....until all of them are launched IRNSS won't be fully functional.....and that's what I said....
Those remaining 3 are supposed to be launched in 2016, I would be happy if they can do so.......
But, just by placing the satellites IRNSS won't become available to the masses, there are other technical issues.....the hardware and software implementation of IRNSS in smartphones and other devices is another major hurdle.....
So, for common man to get any glimpse of IRNSS, a more realistic time period is 2020.......or more....

Last edited:
Oh man! ISRO who designed the whole system including software, hardware (both space and ground segment) somehow forgot to design the reciever?
Make sense???

Isro is hoping to have the IRNSS system operational by July next year and has been working to convince mobile device manufacturers, Global Information System Technology developers and navigation device manufacturers to switch to the new system once it's up and running.

Isro is asking device manufacturers to include additional hardware in devices to receive the signals from the IRNSS satellites....

'operational' without a receiver? lol typical deluded and ignorant Indian```your IRNSS is as 'operational' as a Lamborghini without THE engine``

:lol: this is how your banana media brainwashes ignorant and naive Indian

4 Sats are operational not the entire system. They have already tested that.

With the addition of fourth spacecraft the minimum satellite requirement is met and independent position solution is demonstrated for the first time using an Indian satellite-based navigation system. - See more at: A step towards initial Satellite based Navigation Services in India: GAGAN & IRNSS - ISRO

NOW YOUR SMALL LITTLE BRAIN WILL NOT UNDERSTAND THAT BECAUSE YOU STILL DIDNOT LAUNCH A SMALL APPLE. But when your country does after 30 years may be I will say they give you one way ticket to mars. One less arse burning idiot on earth. :D

Isro is hoping to have the IRNSS system operational by July next year and has been working to convince mobile device manufacturers, Global Information System Technology developers and navigation device manufacturers to switch to the new system once it's up and running.

Isro is asking device manufacturers to include additional hardware in devices to receive the signals from the IRNSS satellites....
I think, it will be a tough job convincing them to include regional IRNSS hardware and software when GPS and GLONASS are available globally.....IMHO, IRNSS, if and when it becomes operational, will mainly see Military use.

I think, it will be a tough job convincing them to include regional IRNSS hardware and software when GPS and GLONASS are available globally.....IMHO, IRNSS, if and when it becomes operational, will mainly see Military use.
It is easy to do. No need to convince, but enforce. India is a big consumer market. I would like to see, who does not oblige.

The Indian system is democratic & voluntary unlike China which works on such lines with dogmatic & nationalistic approach. So most of what you have said makes sense.

However IRNSS managers have to strike the balance between a civil and Military (encrypted = can not be spoofed) usage.

It is easy to do. No need to convince, but enforce. India is a big consumer market. I would like to see, who does not oblige.
I would've supported your POV had IRNSS been a 'Global Navigation Satellite System'.....
Just think, if the govt. makes it mandatory to incorporate IRNSS equipment in mobile phones(say) imported/assembled in India, then the phone manufacturers won't include GPS/GLONASS equipment to reduce the Cost of Production........
Now, a person travelling with that phone outside India(outside IRNSS's coverage), will not get the facility of 'Satellite Navigation' at all.........that won't be a problem for most Indians, but the manufacturers, in order not to lose their competitiveness, will prefer to incorporate the global system rather than its regional counterpart...

Anyway, I'm not worried about IRNSS's civilian use, IRNSS is the first step towards India's self reliance in this field....
India realised the importance of having its own Sat. Nav. System after this incident(see link below)...
Why BrahMos failed

Last edited:
If google sells its mapping to India then it would loose its own google maps out there as ppl would opt for IRNSS and they would never like that.Lets wait then.

Permissions – Google

They are very open to others using their maps. This has already happened in many GPS handheld device developers.

There are plenty of other alternatives too.

There is no question of "selling". And it wont be to "India"....but the various companies that probably already have the appropriate content licenses.

Permissions – Google

They are very open to others using their maps. This has already happened in many GPS handheld device developers.

There are plenty of other alternatives too.

There is no question of "selling". And it wont be to "India"....but the various companies that probably already have the appropriate content licenses.
Thank U for the useful info.

aybe they are already working (Pakistan had been working on GSLV but due to funding it is delayed)

In 40 years maybe ? or is it 50 ?

First make a basic SLV,like Naro,then talk about putting payloads in GTO.

Back
Top Bottom