What's new

Goa celebrating Liberation Day

Truth Finder

Reaction score
Country
India
attachment.php

Panaji: The state of Goa is celebrating its Liberation Day on Thursday.

It was on December 19, 1961, that Goa was liberated from the Portuguese rule after a prolonged freedom struggle and military operation.

It was granted statehood in 1987 and went ahead to become one of the richest and highest per capita income states of the country.

The main function will be held at the Parade Grounds in Panaji.

Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar will unfurl the national flag, and preside over a review parade. He will also address the people of the state.

Nineteen freedom fighters will also be honored on the occasion.

Goamap.png

inv1.jpg

1961 Indian annexation of Goa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The 1961 Indian annexation of Goa (also referred to as the Invasion of Goa, the Liberation of Goa, and the Fall of Portuguese India), was an action by India's ...
Goa celebrating Liberation Day today

That was a sweet victory, even British couldn't have matched the barbarianism these Portuguese unleashed on Indians since the day Vasco da Gama landed in India.

You know what, a bullet fired during the conflict had lodged itself in a tree in front of my Grandpa's home in Karwar!

Your village is near the the border?

That was a sweet victory, even British couldn't have matched the barbarianism these Portuguese unleashed on Indians since the day Vasco da Gama landed in India.

Your village is near the the border?

My Grandpa used to live in Karwar in those days. There is an island called Anjadiv Island, off the coast of Karwar(It's part of Project Seabird now) which used to be held by the Portuguese.

Apparently, there was minor gunfire during the Indian Army's attempts to capture the island, during which a stray bullet had hit the tree(probably a warning shot fired by IA itself.)

it was a virtually bloodless conflict which the UN described as the ideal war

the indian forces moved in fast, took the portugese by surprise who surrendered. a feat replicated 10 years later

It wasn't a surprise attack, they knew they are going to be attacked after they attacked the Indian ship, they were pinning their hopes on their Cold war allies who never came for their rescue.

apparently Indian marines conducted an amphibious assault as well

The Indian Naval Command assigned the task of securing the island of Anjidiv to the INS Trishul and the INS Mysore. Under covering fire from the ships, Indian marines under the command of Lt. Arun Auditto stormed the island at 14:25 on 18 December, and engaged the Portuguese defenders. 7 Indian marines were killed and 19 wounded. Among the casualties were two officers. The Portuguese defences were eventually overrun after fierce shelling from the Indian ships offshore. The island was secured by the Indians at 1400 on the next day.

apparently Indian marines conducted an amphibious assault as well

My Grandpa had told me once that the Portuguese had initially flown the White-Flag of surrender, only to fire at the Indian troops who went near them. he said many were injured in that sneak-attack(perhaps a few casualties).

Oh don't mind me folks, I am just counting down till the trolls derail this thread too

I have heard Portuguese of those days, force people in many indirect ways to convert to their religion? Is that true? They are worse off in administration, crushing any dissent.
However the religion angle, not so sure

Back
Top Bottom