What's new

Gere kiss sparks India protests

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Actor Richard Gere has sparked protests in India after kissing Celebrity Big Brother winner Shilpa Shetty at an Aids awareness rally in New Delhi.

Demonstrators in Mumbai (Bombay) set light to effigies of the Hollywood star, while protesters in other cities shouted "death to Shilpa Shetty".

The protesters said Gere insulted Indian culture by kissing the hand and face of the Bollywood actress.

Public displays of affection and sex are still largely taboo in India.

Shetty downplayed the incident, saying "it was not so obscene".

"This was not such a big thing for people to over-react in such a manner," the actress told the Press Trust of India news agency.

"I understand people's sentiments, but I don't want a foreigner to take bad memories from here. I understand this is his culture, not ours," she added.

Swooped

Anjali Gopolan, head of Indian Aids prevention group the Naz Foundation, said: "I think he responded as an actor. He was playing to the gallery. I don't see anything bad."

The kissing scenes were regularly played on Indian TV, with some viewers commenting on Gere's actions, while Indian newspapers carried the picture on their front pages.

Shilpa Shetty
Indian star Shilpa Shetty won the UK version of Celebrity Big Brother

The Aids awareness rally focussed on India's truck driving community, with Gere leading proceedings by shouting "no condom, no sex" in Hindi.

The crowd whooped with delight and whistled as the 58-year-old clasped Shetty and kissed her on the face several times.

After the actress recovered her balance, Gere offered her a gallant bow.

Protesters said his embrace of one of the country's leading ladies had been "vulgar" and demanded an apology from the film star.

d7d570f18d12779c9848d668bb3c2d4c.jpg

Those demonstrators need to go a have a look at Bandra Bandstand & see for themselves how much of Indian culture is being respected by college youth.

Guess Bollywood Movies have no lip locks, I used to kiss my ex-girl friend in coimbatore railway station whenever i dropperd her

They'r getting there Adux. Havent u seen some movies lately? Almost all have it.

I know...I am a great fan of Emran Hashmi....lol

I am a true blue Aamir Khan fan, I cant stand that idiotic Bakra Shah Rukh as well as the Wierd Hirthik roshan

I know...I am a great fan of Emran Hashmi....lol

I am a true blue Aamir Khan fan, I cant stand that idiotic Bakra Shah Rukh as well as the Wierd Hirthik roshan

pi$$ off, SRK rules:D . Not much a Hrithik fan, but he's slowly and steadily proving himself.

Plus his physique in Dhoom 2 is an inspiration to me lol. Im 6 ft tall, there's a lot to be accomplished:lol:

Aamir my dear son, can act, SRk sleeps with Karan ...lol

Dude, just saying that Aamir can 'act' does not mean anything. I say SRK is just as good, plus he's more saleable. He 'rules' Bollywood.

Though i dont deny he might be sleeping with Karan :lol:

he rules bollywood, agreed but he still cant act as good as Aamir, No way not anywhere close, I like Saif too. And i hate stupid bollywood movies for very rang de basanti and munna bhai there are atleast 20 Pyare Mohans..lol, I have always enjoyed tamil, Bengali(i dont understand the languages) and malayalam. Better scripts and better acting.

Actor Richard Gere has sparked protests in India after kissing Celebrity Big Brother winner Shilpa Shetty at an Aids awareness rally in New Delhi.

Demonstrators in Mumbai (Bombay) set light to effigies of the Hollywood star, while protesters in other cities shouted "death to Shilpa Shetty".

The protesters said Gere insulted Indian culture by kissing the hand and face of the Bollywood actress.

Public displays of affection and sex are still largely taboo in India.
Hypocrisy.

How dare this Hollywood Idol Kiss Shilpa!

Only Bollywood Idols are permitted, like Salman Khan, Aamir Khan, Saif Ali Khan, Shah Rukh Khan, Abishek Bachan, Hirthik Roshan, Sanjay Dutt, John Abraham.... Am I forgetting anyone?

What this all anger is about.........because the Hollywood guy "ONLY" kissed or why he kissed?

The previous record of this girl is of much more then simple kisses.......but may be it was not done in public.

The culture of "shame" is not uncommon in Asia.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom