France’s Safran shelves plan for Rafale jet project in India

dadeechi

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
France’s Safran shelves plan for Rafale jet project in India - Livemint

Company won’t make components with Hindustan Aeronautics since India has ordered only 36 jets, according to Safran’s India CEO

N.C. Bipindra
Rafale-kFQC--621x414@LiveMint.jpg

Photo: AFP
New Delhi: France’s Safran SA has shelved plans to make engine parts for Rafale combat aircraft in India after Prime Minister Narendra Modi scaled back purchases of the warplane.
The company won’t make the components with state-run Indian defence contractor Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd since the nation has ordered only 36 jets rather the more lucrative 126 originally mooted, according to Safran’s India chief executive officer Stephane Lauret.
“The plan we’re supposed to do in Bangalore, we won’t do it for this 36-aircraft deal,” Lauret said in an interview in New Delhi. “But we’ll continue to have other business with them. We have other projects with Hindustan Aeronautics.”
The Paris-based business in February said the companies were in joint venture talks to build a 30,000 sw. m plant for jet engine components in India, focused first on the Safran engines powering Dassault Aviation SA’s Rafales. The impact of the scaled-down Rafale order shows the challenge Modi faces of turning interest in local arms manufacturing into actual output, as the nation strains to fund defence modernization.
Multiple calls to Hindustan Aeronautics spokesman Gopal Sutar seeking comment went unanswered.
Modi has eased restrictions on foreign direct investment in defence manufacturing since taking office in May last year. He’s cleared plans to acquire about $60 billion of weapons, with talks to finalize the purchase of the 36 Rafales continuing. The premier is striving for increased regional heft to counter neighbours China and Pakistan.
India’s need for new jets is increasingly urgent: About one-third of its 650-plane fleet is more than 40 years old and set to retire in the next decade.
Policy steps
Modi’s policy steps have stirred interest. Boeing Co. and Tata Advanced Systems Ltd said on 9 November that they plan to make aircraft parts jointly in India, including the body of Apache attack helicopters. Germany’s Atlas Elektronik GmbH is tying up with one of billionaire Anil Ambani’s defence companies with a goal of making an advanced torpedo locally.
Safran’s other objectives in India include offering maintenance and repair services for aircraft engines, Lauret said in the interview last month.
Civil engines
“We’re looking at manufacturing parts of our civil engines in India,” he also said. “We’ll have more partnerships with private companies.”
India may purchase a type of Russian military helicopter powered by Safran engines. The company says it employs more than 2,600 people in India across eight businesses and joint ventures.
“I came to head Indian operations more or less with Modi coming to power,” Lauret said. “Defence deals could move faster, but things are moving.” Bloomberg

France’s Safran shelves plan for Rafale jet project in India - Livemint

Company won’t make components with Hindustan Aeronautics since India has ordered only 36 jets, according to Safran’s India CEO

N.C. Bipindra
Rafale-kFQC--621x414@LiveMint.jpg

Photo: AFP
New Delhi: France’s Safran SA has shelved plans to make engine parts for Rafale combat aircraft in India after Prime Minister Narendra Modi scaled back purchases of the warplane.
The company won’t make the components with state-run Indian defence contractor Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd since the nation has ordered only 36 jets rather the more lucrative 126 originally mooted, according to Safran’s India chief executive officer Stephane Lauret.
“The plan we’re supposed to do in Bangalore, we won’t do it for this 36-aircraft deal,” Lauret said in an interview in New Delhi. “But we’ll continue to have other business with them. We have other projects with Hindustan Aeronautics.”
The Paris-based business in February said the companies were in joint venture talks to build a 30,000 sw. m plant for jet engine components in India, focused first on the Safran engines powering Dassault Aviation SA’s Rafales. The impact of the scaled-down Rafale order shows the challenge Modi faces of turning interest in local arms manufacturing into actual output, as the nation strains to fund defence modernization.
Multiple calls to Hindustan Aeronautics spokesman Gopal Sutar seeking comment went unanswered.
Modi has eased restrictions on foreign direct investment in defence manufacturing since taking office in May last year. He’s cleared plans to acquire about $60 billion of weapons, with talks to finalize the purchase of the 36 Rafales continuing. The premier is striving for increased regional heft to counter neighbours China and Pakistan.
India’s need for new jets is increasingly urgent: About one-third of its 650-plane fleet is more than 40 years old and set to retire in the next decade.
Policy steps
Modi’s policy steps have stirred interest. Boeing Co. and Tata Advanced Systems Ltd said on 9 November that they plan to make aircraft parts jointly in India, including the body of Apache attack helicopters. Germany’s Atlas Elektronik GmbH is tying up with one of billionaire Anil Ambani’s defence companies with a goal of making an advanced torpedo locally.
Safran’s other objectives in India include offering maintenance and repair services for aircraft engines, Lauret said in the interview last month.
Civil engines
“We’re looking at manufacturing parts of our civil engines in India,” he also said. “We’ll have more partnerships with private companies.”
India may purchase a type of Russian military helicopter powered by Safran engines. The company says it employs more than 2,600 people in India across eight businesses and joint ventures.
“I came to head Indian operations more or less with Modi coming to power,” Lauret said. “Defence deals could move faster, but things are moving.” Bloomberg
@Abingdonboy

If I was a Pakistani leader, I'd cut a deal with the UAE for Rafale's, or the KSA for the EFT's joint purchase as Pakistan can't afford large numbers. But two countries would place the order of over 120 or so Rafale's or EFT's (40-60 for Pakistan), remainder for the UAE or KSA. But the condition would be Pakistan would want a full overhaul and parts manufacturing capability in Pakistan for both the countries. France wouldn't say no to the UAE or KSA. Pakistan can upgrade Mirage rebuild factory to support these (Mirages are retiring), so re-purposing these military facilities would save hundreds of millions of $$$$, and Pakistan could overhaul and fix about 90% of the jet there.

If I was a Pakistani leader, I'd cut a deal with the UAE for Rafale's, or the KSA for the EFT's joint purchase as Pakistan can't afford large numbers. But two countries would place the order of over 120 or so Rafale's or EFT's (40-60 for Pakistan), remainder for the UAE or KSA. But the condition would be Pakistan would want a full overhaul and parts manufacturing capability in Pakistan for both the countries. France wouldn't say no to the UAE or KSA. Pakistan can upgrade Mirage rebuild factory to support these (Mirages are retiring), so re-purposing these military facilities would save hundreds of millions of $$$$, and Pakistan could overhaul and fix about 90% of the jet there.

Nisar hits out at UAE minister for 'threatening' Pakistan - Pakistan - DAWN.COM :P

if i was a Pakistani leader i would buy all the mirage2000 from UAE and get them upgraded through UAE as they are llooking for new Rafale aircraft for their airforce... this deal was once up when frenchis asked pakistanis to buy uae mirages but pakistanis backed down ... dont know why ... but they should have taken the opportunity and yes again what viper mentioned above "But the condition would be Pakistan would want a full overhaul and parts manufacturing capability in Pakistan for both the countries. Pakistan can upgrade Mirage rebuild factory to support these (Mirages are retiring), so re-purposing these military facilities would save hundreds of millions of $$$$, and Pakistan could overhaul and fix about 90% of the jet there."

You are really funny. Pakistan dont want to join war in Yemen & expect Arabs to buy 60 Rafales for Pakistan. That too when oil is at 45 & these countries will soon not have money to feed their population.

funny-cat-tiger-sitting-hilarious.jpg

If you cant talk sense, keep your mouth shut, dont make fun of your country by funny boasting.

funny-cat-tiger-sitting-hilarious.jpg

If you cant talk sense, keep your mouth shut, dont make fun of your country by funny boasting.

What sense do you think I should've "talked"??? Oh wait, let me do it. Forget the topic and the jets, Pakistani majority should start checking their minorities refrigerators like they do in India, and kill everyone with BEEF in the freezer like the crazy Hindu fanatics do it in India? Because they think Beef eating is an insult to Hinduism, even the minorities do it in their homes?
AND India is one of the larger BEEF exporters??? :o:o_O:tdown::angel::angel::angel::angel::angel:???? You want to talk about sense, tell me where is sense in killing minorities in India because they had beef, but you export the SAME mother cow's meet to the entire globe!!!! Barbaric and inhumane much?

Back to the topic, if Pakistan can do a strategic pact, KSA would let her into the deal with the Britts. Similar to how Erieye was going to work initially!!

Last edited:
Back to the topic, if Pakistan can do a strategic pact, KSA would let her into the deal with the Britts. Similar to how Erieye was going to work initially!!

All your posts LINKING Pakistan to Saudi are like

Begaani Shaadi mein Abdullah deewana

Saudis procurement DOES NOT take place in Alignment or conjunction with Pakistan

This Saudi Erieye deal was INDEPENDENT of Pakistan

You are talking BS here

Read this Saab’s Mysterious S-2000 AEW&C Customer? Saudi Arabia

@Viper0011.

If you want a joint deal with KSA or UAE ; you will STILL have to convince
France or UK that CHINA will NOT get to see either Rafale or Eurofighter

Can you do this ; Refuse CHINA

That is why ANY sale of High tech to Pakistan is considered a sale to CHINA

The person you are tagging would come up with, "this is the initial order, India would buy 226 additional............

I am not sure about the 226 number but 36+90 is surely on the cards.

The reason for the delay is due re-negotiation of the contracts now with the private players which was earlier done with HAL. HAL would be busy with LCA & FGFA while private players would be involved on the RAFALE deal.

All your posts LINKING Pakistan to Saudi are like

Begaani Shaadi mein Abdullah deewana

Saudis procurement DOES NOT take place in Alignment or conjunction with Pakistan

This Saudi Erieye deal was INDEPENDENT of Pakistan

You are talking BS here

Read this Saab’s Mysterious S-2000 AEW&C Customer? Saudi Arabia

@Viper0011.

If you want a joint deal with KSA or UAE ; you will STILL have to convince
France or UK that CHINA will NOT get to see either Rafale or Eurofighter

Can you do this ; Refuse CHINA

That is why ANY sale of High tech to Pakistan is considered a sale to CHINA

You want to bet your membership on this forum and a total IP ban if I prove the fact that Initially KSA was involved with the Erieye? And *may have* helped Pakistan with the down payment??? Not, I don't know the second part for a fact, but there were speculations KSA giving a down payment. But it was the KSA who pushed the Europeans to sell these to Pakistan, and that they might buy those too.

If the US can sell F-16's block 52, if the Russians are discussing SU-35's, if the Britts want to sell EFT's to Pakistan, and if LM has listed Pakistan as a potential customer for 40 JSFs, and if the Erieye have already been sold to Pakistan, I am sure, somehow, they are providing enough guarantees and rules that ALL the above are ok selling their advance weapons to Pakistan :rofl: :enjoy: :tup:

Let me know if you want to bet. @Slav Defence @Horus : my friend here might want to bet and get his membership terminated with a full IP ban, if I stand correct. Would you let us know what the process is?

Back
Top Bottom