What's new

France Veil Ban: Protesters And Police Clash

doremon

Reaction score
Country
India
Hundreds of protesters clash with police west of Paris after officers stopped a woman for wearing a full-face veil.
cegrab-20130720-183354-211-1-522x293.jpg

cegrab-20130720-183316-211-1-522x293.jpg

Five people have been injured and six others detained in violence that erupted during the enforcement of a law banning the wearing of a full-face veil in France.

About 250 people hurled rocks at police, who responded with tear gas during the clashes about 17 miles west of the capital Paris on Friday night.

The unrest highlights tensions between police upholding France's strict policies of secularism and those who accuse authorities of discriminating against Islam.

In the wake of the violence in the town of Trappes, local official Erard Corbin de Mangoux called for calm on the streets.

"The police forces will remain in position as long as necessary, not as a provocation but for reasons of security to give the 30,000 Trappes residents a sense of security and serenity," he said.

Several rubbish bins in the area were set alight and a bus shelter was shattered in the unrest. Spent tear gas capsules lay on the road near the police station at the centre of the violence.

A 14-year-old boy suffered a serious eye injury in the violence from an object.
"It's a tragedy because this young man is seriously injured. We don't know the circumstances because the young man cannot talk yet. At this time we don't have a witness from the scene," prosecutor Vincent Lesclous said.

Four police officers have also been injured and six people were detained in the violence, a police official said.

The violence came after about 250 people gathered to protest over the arrest of a man whose wife received a ticket on Thursday for wearing a full-face veil.

Her husband tried to strangle an officer who was issuing the ticket, the prosecutor said.

France has banned face veils since 2011.

Supporters of the ban - which enjoyed wide public backing across the political spectrum - argue the veil oppresses women and contradicts France's principles of secularism, which are enshrined in the constitution.

In addition to small fines or citizenship classes for women wearing veils, the law includes a 30,000 euro (£26,000) fine for anyone who forces a woman to wear one.

France also bans headscarves in schools and public buildings.

I wonder if the ban is for Viel only or anything covering the face , be it a biker wearing a balaclava, or a scarf wrapped around

I hope the French police are able to handle this.

More rioting over this would further down the image of Muslims in Europe.

I wonder why those aliens from arabs country give more headache to their host, same **** happened too in Indonesia. Albeit give us good contribution to our already diverse culture they give us their fundamentalist idea about islam, they are trying to radicalize our man and prying for the poor ones. I am a moslem, but i don't like their version of Islam.

I don't understand why is it that these loonies can't understand: THEY ARE IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY THAT HAS ALLOWED THEM IN. They are in a NON-MUSLIM country where NON-MUSLIM LAWS are the norm.

Good to see French countering this madness that has consumed liberal countries like Scandinavian nations.

Just send them back to their original country, include their child, grandson and everything. And i hope the problems will be solved with the absent of those parasites

Just send them back to their original country, include their child, grandson and everything. And i hope the problems will be solved with the absent of those parasites

You can't deport your own citizens.Building new jails and filling them with these rioters is another matter though,increase the punishments for rioting and assaulting police to a minimum of 5 years,maximum of 10.All those jailed for such things must be forced to work in public service,no sense in wasting tax payers money in keeping them comfortable.After the first hundred of them get this treatment i'll bet the farm that they won't be so quick in assaulting police,burning and creating havoc in the streets.Sometimes civilisation must come with a stick in hand,not only through books and knowledge.

nd if there was a similar clash in india! ....some pdf members say look a separatist moment evil hindus r suppresing them...we r with them for their liberation! :lol:

I wonder if the ban is for Viel only or anything covering the face , be it a biker wearing a balaclava, or a scarf wrapped around
ban is for all of them.. except when a muslim woman goes to prayer in a car or one uses it for work related purpose.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom