Forme Indianr General's take on Bangla war sparks debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score
Former General's take on Bangla war sparks debate

Former General's take on Bangla war sparks debate - The Times of India

Debashis Konar, TNN | Dec 22, 2011, 03.21AM IST

KOLKATA: Former army chief General Shankar Roychowdhury on Sunday sparked off a controversy by commenting that Razakars (Pro-Pakistani elements in erstwhile East Pakistan) were involved in greater atrocities than Pakistani army regulars during Bangladesh war. He was addressing the valedictory session of a seminar titled "Four decades of Mukto Bangladesh and Indo-Bangla relationship" organized by the external affairs ministry at ICCR.

Bangladeshi historian Muntasir Mamun, who is well known for his book "Sei Sab Pakistani", written on Pakistani tormentors during 1971 war, protested, saying this was unbelievable. "So you want to mean that Pakistani army did not torture us? I request youto rectify your statement," Mamun said. Artist Hasem Khan, another Bangladeshi speaker, also protested against the comments of the former army chief, mentioning that he had witnessed tortures of the Pakistani army.

Mamun later told TOI from Dhaka, "What he said did not happen in reality. The brutal torture done by the Pakistani army is still alive in the memory of the victims. On what basis then is the trial going on against the prisoners of war?" But Roy Choudhury, too, stuck to his opinion. He told TOI what he had narrated was from his personal experience. "What I said is a fact and I said it on record."

Roychowdhury said that he was speaking from his own experience as he was posted in sub-sectors VIII and IX of Mukti Bahini.

He reiterated that in 1971, the worst enemy of Bengalis in Bangladesh were the Razakars who were the supporters of Pakistani army. "Bangladeshe Bangallirai chilo Bangalider pradhan shatru(Bengalis were the worst enemies of Bengalis in Bangladesh)."

The former army chief also said that the Pakistani army had limited resource in erstwhile East Pakistan for which they had recruited Razakars (volunteers) in large numbers and they were involved in large scale atrocities. "I think their torture was more than the Pak army regulars.

I have seen all this with my eyes and even complaints came from the people of Bangaldesh."

Roychowdhury said: "I get worried when I hear that fundamentalism is on the rise in Opar Bangla. We are now calling it fundamentalism but it was present in Bangaldesh even in 1971 and the Razakars carried out the torture as they were fundamentalists. This fundamentalism is still on. The present government of Sheikh Hasina is now co-operating with India government which was absent earlier." He hoped that Teesta water pact will be signed soon.

Even Bivu Devi, Maharani of Tripura, who was in the audience, requested Gen Roychowdhury at the end of his lecture to retract his statement.

@ Former army chief General Shankar Roy Chowdhury's statement is completely wrong and fabricated. Let us see who all were Razakars, Al Sams and Al Badre:

1. During the liberation war un-employment problem was accute. So, once Pakistan govt wanted to recruit in the para-miltary forces some people came forward mainly politically motivated people. These were the young members of Jammate-Islami, Muslim Leaque, Nizam-e Islami and other pro-Pakistani political parties. These people were di-heart.

2. Many joined from the young man of Bihari elements.

3. Many joined from the tribal people specially from the Chakma and Marma Tribe.

4. Most of the ex-Mujahedins and Ansers of East Pakistan. Although many also joined with the Mukti Bahini.

5. Some were taken by force by the Pakistan Army.

6. There was an another group of young people who all were evicted from India during post partition riot specially from Mardah district.

@ All these forces were initially given 10 days training. Some were given special training. These people were given Tk=100/ per month. These people were mainly used to guard the bridges and culvert and other important installation. Later on many were taken during the actual operations. During the final stage of operation many of them fled away and joined with the Mukties.

@ These people were the eyes and ears of the Pakistani Army. They no doubt helped the Pakistani forces and used to give all information but in no way they were involved in mass killing and raping. There might be some odd cases of murder or rape.

@ In my experience, these people were little bit disciplined. As they have the fear both from the Pakistan Army as well as Mukti Bahini. In many cases these Razakars helped the Mukti Bahinies. More over these people were employed in their own localities. So, it was possible to know who is doing what ?

@ The allegation of mass raping against the Pakistan Army and their Para- military forces is also false and highly fabricated. Well there were always some odd cases. About the mass raping of female students of Rokea Hall on the night of 25 March 1971 is completely false and fabricated. On scrutiny it was found that not a single female student was raped on that day at Dhaka University. As because the female hostels were completely empty. All the female students left their hostel on 8/9 March 1971 after listening the historical address of Sk Mujibur Rahman.

The statement of ex-Indian Chief of Staff against the Razakars is ill motivated and to help the Hasina's on going trial of war criminals in Bangladesh. All these are linked up.

Lol I'm Pakistani and even I admit atrocities did happen. It's published for all to see but we need to move on. Mods please close these kind of threads like 20 have been made on the 71 war this past week.

Lol I'm Pakistani and even I admit atrocities did happen. It's published for all to see but we need to move on. Mods please close these kind of threads like 20 have been made on the 71 war this past week.

Could'nt agree more

I heard that Razakars were involved in atrocities in Deccan region as well. Once Nizam of Hyderabad threat to kill all hindus.

Wacth 2:15 Second

Please let me know if it hurt anyone religious sentiment. I will delete it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that Razakars were involved in atrocities in Deccan region as well. Once Nizam of Hyderabad threat to kill all hindus.

Wacth 2:15 Second

Please let me know if it hurt anyone religious sentiment. I will delete it.

Why don't you stop trolling. What does this post have anything to do with the thread.

Just fictionalized accounts of Hollywood/Bollywood that have nothing to do with reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
these idiotic threads keep coming up and then they are closed.......

just report the threads and hopefully they'll be dealt with --these are just flame-baits and nothing else really

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom