What's new

Foreign secretary to take up attacks on Indian fishermen with Lanka

angeldemon_007

Reaction score
NEW DELHI: Foreign secretary Ranjan Mathai will take up the issue of attacks on Indian fishermen allegedly by the Sri Lankan navy during his three-day visit to the island nation which commenced on Saturday. Close to 15 Tamil Nadu fishermen were injured early on Sunday after they were allegedly roughed up by Sri Lankan navy personnel.

Apart from calling on President Mahinda Rajapaksa, Mathai is expected to review developmental projects being undertaken in various parts of this country with Indian assistance.

Mathai will also meet Sri Lankan opposition leader Ranil Wickremesinghe and leaders of the main Tamil party TNA during his stay.

Officials said Mathai, who called on Tamil Nadu chief minister Jayalalithaa prior to his Colombo visit, would take up the issue of attacks on Indian fishermen. Jayalalithaa conveyed to Mathai her serious concern over increasing attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen allegedly by the Sri Lankan navy.

"Incidents of apprehension and assault of fishermen belonging to Tamil Nadu by the Sri Lankan navy should be viewed not as an assault on Tamil fishermen, but as an assault on Indian citizens and should be viewed as an act of provocation and aggression against India by Sri Lanka, similar to firing across the borders of India by neighbours such as Pakistan and China," she was quoted as having told Mathai by news agencies.

Noting that 16 such incidents had taken place since May, she said the attacks should be viewed as a national issue and not an isolated problem of Tamil Nadu, according to a state government release.

Foreign secretary to take up attacks on Indian fishermen with Lanka - The Times of India

I think we should station a corvette and a couple NOPVs between TN and SL and give In full rights to do anything. Then they kick some a$$. A strong message needs to send to SLN otherwise this will keep on going. Blowing up a couple SLN ships will calm things down.

NEW DELHI: Foreign secretary Ranjan Mathai will take up the issue of attacks on Indian fishermen allegedly by the Sri Lankan navy during his three-day visit to the island nation which commenced on Saturday. Close to 15 Tamil Nadu fishermen were injured early on Sunday after they were allegedly roughed up by Sri Lankan navy personnel.

Apart from calling on President Mahinda Rajapaksa, Mathai is expected to review developmental projects being undertaken in various parts of this country with Indian assistance.

Mathai will also meet Sri Lankan opposition leader Ranil Wickremesinghe and leaders of the main Tamil party TNA during his stay.

Officials said Mathai, who called on Tamil Nadu chief minister Jayalalithaa prior to his Colombo visit, would take up the issue of attacks on Indian fishermen. Jayalalithaa conveyed to Mathai her serious concern over increasing attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen allegedly by the Sri Lankan navy.

"Incidents of apprehension and assault of fishermen belonging to Tamil Nadu by the Sri Lankan navy should be viewed not as an assault on Tamil fishermen, but as an assault on Indian citizens and should be viewed as an act of provocation and aggression against India by Sri Lanka, similar to firing across the borders of India by neighbours such as Pakistan and China," she was quoted as having told Mathai by news agencies.

Noting that 16 such incidents had taken place since May, she said the attacks should be viewed as a national issue and not an isolated problem of Tamil Nadu, according to a state government release.

Foreign secretary to take up attacks on Indian fishermen with Lanka - The Times of India

I think we should station a corvette and a couple NOPVs between TN and SL and give In full rights to do anything. Then they kick some a$$. A strong message needs to send to SLN otherwise this will keep on going. Blowing up a couple SLN ships will calm things down.

We are just looking at one side of the Coin. Maybe our own fishermen are intruding into there territory. who knows.....

Better we should wait for SL response on this matter.

We are just looking at one side of the Coin. Maybe our own fishermen are intruding into there territory. who knows.....

not really....Its time that india merge tamil dominated areas of nortern srilanka with tamilnadu.and into the indian union to solve the issue of tamil -sinhala clash forever.

This is not just small issue...Our government is protecting these a$$holes otherwise they would be indited in court for mass murder. I don't think you remember how LTTE was formed and how bloody was its end. Libya, Egypt, Syria and all others were nothing in comparison of the blood that lost during SL operation. Instead of acknowdeging what we did for this a$$holes just look at the articles that are printed on their daily newspapers. If they don't appreciate what we did for them we should throw them infront of international community, everyone wants them Europeans, US, Russia etc.

not really....Its time that india merge tamil dominated areas of nortern srilanka with tamilnadu.and into the indian union to solve the issue of tamil -sinhala clash forever.

Well........ this is not at all possible. We have tried this in past(covertly). and we failed miserably. Our own snake bit us. Best way is talk. and if talk does not give result, then strong action(if at all its there wrong doing).

This is not just small issue...Our government is protecting these a$$holes otherwise they would be indited in court for mass murder. I don't think you remember how LTTE was formed and how bloody was its end. Libya, Egypt, Syria and all others were nothing in comparison of the blood that lost during SL operation. Instead of acknowdeging what we did for this a$$holes just look at the articles that are printed on their daily newspapers. If they don't appreciate what we did for them we should throw them infront of international community, everyone wants them Europeans, US, Russia etc.

Don't get me wrong......... but in one sense, they did right. They have completely finished the root cause of the problem. You will not find any more rebellion for coming 30-40 yrs in Srilanka.

This was the only way to eliminate LTTE and its support. they tried to negotiate with them for almost 30 yrs. But nothing happened.

So this was the last option for them. And in my opinion, this was need of the hour.

Don't get me wrong......... but in one sense, they did right. They have completely finished the root cause of the problem. You will not find any more rebellion for coming 30-40 yrs in Srilanka.

This was the only way to eliminate LTTE and its support. they tried to negotiate with them for almost 30 yrs. But nothing happened.

So this was the last option for them. And in my opinion, this was need of the hour.
Neither U know what happened nor U know what is happening now.

Why dont U send ur family in one of the fishermens boat to find about the other side of the coin?

Who listens to this useless "government" of India anyway? Who has? Failed states, miniscule states, terror factories, unrelated states... heck! even we don't give a jack about them. So why would SL listen to their spineless cowardice?

Reply fire with fire you coward UPA! If you can't do that, hang yourself and shoot yourself in the heads so that you can redeem your honor in death if not in life.

Neither U know what happened nor U know what is happening now.

If you know......... pls care to explain.

Why dont U send ur family in one of the fishermen boat to find about the other side of the coin?[/QUOTE said:
Don't get so upset Bro. come out from your regional and statehood mentality and look at overall picture. How can you so confidently say that our fishermen are not violating there territory?

Just bcos you hate Srilankans, does not means that they are wrong.

I am totally against any aggression by SLN, if at all it is within our territory. And it should be raised strongly with SL officials and if still they continue to do so, then it shd be dealt with heavy hands.

But if our fishermen are intruding into SL territory, then SLN have every right to warn them/ arrest them or drive them away.

Dude if this was what happened i would also be happy but instead there was genocide. You don't remember when SL army surrounded one of the biggest relief camp by the end of this operation. International community is not asking the leaders of SL to be indited because of operation against LTTE but killing of innocent people and that too in very large number.

Dude if this was what happened i would also be happy but instead there was genocide. You don't remember when SL army surrounded one of the biggest relief camp by the end of this operation. International community is not asking the leaders of SL to be indited because of operation against LTTE but killing of innocent people and that too in very large number.

I agree that SL army has done a barbaric act by killing innocent people.

LTTE had made these innocent ppl there Human shield.

Don't get so upset Bro. come out from your regional and statehood mentality and look at overall picture. How can you so confidently say that our fishermen are not violating there territory?

Just bcos you hate Srilankans, does not means that they are wrong.

I am totally against any aggression by SLN, if at all it is within our territory. And it should be raised strongly with SL officials and if still they continue to do so, then it shd be dealt with heavy hands.

But if our fishermen are intruding into SL territory, then SLN have every right to warn them/ arrest them or drive them away.
Who says am totally hate Srilankans? The Indian Coast Guard function is to safeguard the security of all Indian nationals/
My regional mentality? B.S are these fishermen not Indians? Goddam even when the Indian fishermen drift into Pakistani waters they are arrested not shot at. The same happens with Pakistani fishermen and we regularly exchange them.
Do U even know how many fishermen have been killed?

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

I agree that SL army has done a barbaric act by killing innocent people.

LTTE had made these innocent ppl there Human shield.
How do U know this?

Our fishermen are crossing the sea limits, Sri Lankan Navy is not stupid enough to fire. We should just need to make clear to them that no fishermen of an Indian origin must be killed no matter what.

Our fishermen are crossing the sea limits, Sri Lankan Navy is not stupid enough to fire. We should just need to make clear to them that no fishermen of an Indian origin must be killed no matter what.
Yep Need to send them but how and when?

Back
Top Bottom