What's new

'Flying Sikh': Indian sprinter Milkha Singh biopic set for release

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
BBC News - 'Flying Sikh': Indian sprinter Milkha Singh biopic set for release

Bhaag Milkha Bhaag (Run, Milkha, Run), a biopic of the legendary Indian athlete Milkha Singh, is set for worldwide release on 12 July. The BBC's Geeta Pandey met the film's director, Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra, and lead actor, Farhan Akhtar, in Delhi.

The film, depicting the life and achievements of the "Flying Sikh", who overcame personal tragedy to represent India three times at the Olympics, is perhaps the most-awaited Bollywood film of the year.

Director Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra says he decided to make a film on Milkha Singh's life because it is a "fascinating" story.

It's an amazing story - he was a local hero, the son of the soil, who went out and conquered the world for us

Qr3pztj.jpg

As a young boy who lived in a remote village in Multan province, Milkha saw his parents and seven siblings murdered during the Partition of India and the creation of Pakistan in 1947.

As his father fell, his last words were "Bhaag Milkha Bhaag", exhorting his son to run for his life.

The boy ran - first to save his life, and then to win medals.

Arriving in India as an orphan in 1947, he took to petty crime and did odd jobs for survival until he found a place in the army. It was there that he discovered his athletic abilities.

Singh's exploits on the track and field are legendary in India - he won five golds in international athletic championships, broke a 400m record at the 1960 Rome Olympics and was awarded the Helms World Trophy in 1959 for winning 77 of his 80 international races.
'Larger than life'

Mehra, best known for his 2006 hit Rang De Basanti and Delhi-6 three years later, was chosen by Singh's golfer son, Jeev Milkha Singh, to make the biopic. The athlete sold him the rights to his story for one token rupee.

The director, who grew up with the "folklore" of the "larger-than-life" sprinter, says his film is not about Singh the athlete, but rather "the spirit of Milkha, the colours of his life".

Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, which took four years to make and cost $6.5m (£4.36m), begins in 1947 and ends in 1960.

Actor Farhan Akhtar, who plays Singh on screen, says when Mehra narrated the script to him, he "felt tremendously moved by the story".

"I was also surprised how ignorant I was about his life. We knew about him as a sporting icon, we knew he was called the Flying Sikh, but didn't know what made him the hero."

Akhtar says he trained between four and five hours a day for the role and had several meetings with Singh to learn about his running style.

"An athlete's body language is very different from an ordinary person's. And Milkha had a unique running style. Most athletes run with their arms bent at the elbows, but he ran with his arms flailing about," says Akhtar.

Singh told the BBC he used to run six hours every day.

"I would not stop till I had filled up a bucket with my sweat. I would push myself so much that in the end I would collapse and I would have to be admitted to hospital, I would pray to God to save me, promise that I would be more careful in future. And then I would do it all over again."

'Duplicate Milkha Singh'

In the official trailer for the film, as actor Farhan Akhtar races towards the finishing line in his white jersey, one is struck by the striking resemblance he bears to Singh: the sunken cheeks, the aquiline nose, the high cheekbones and identical body language.

f5tFEbu.jpg

Farhan Akhtar and Sonam Kapoor in Bhaag Milkha Bhaag Bollywood actress Sonam Kapoor plays Milkha Singh's love interest in the film

And the athlete has given his screen version a big thumbs up. "Akhtar is brilliant in the role. He has done a great job. He looks like a duplicate Milkha Singh," he told the BBC.

Singh won Gold at the 1958 Commonwealth Games in Cardiff and went on to finish fourth in the 400 metres at the Rome Olympics, missing out on a bronze medal by a whisker. Even though he never won an Olympic medal, his only wish today is that "someone else should win that medal for India".

And he is hoping the film "will inspire the next generation".

"We had nothing in our times. The athletes and sportsmen in those days didn't earn much money. We worked for the applause; people's appreciation inspired and motivated us; we ran for the country," he says.

"People of my age and era are aware of me, but today's generation doesn't know about me. I hope the film will inspire the next generation, how hard work can take one far in the world."

Q&A: "Bhaag Milkha Bhaag" Director Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra - India Real Time - WSJ

Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra says he’ll never forget the day he received a signed contract from Milkha Singh, granting him the rights to make a film about the athlete’s life.

Mr. Mehra had couriered the contract to Mr. Singh’s home. A blank space was left for Mr. Singh to add a fee for the rights. A week later, the film’s producer came to Mr. Mehra’s office with the contract, and suggested he take a look.

“Very reluctantly, I opened the contract. There, in tiny font, was a one rupee marked against the sum,” Mr. Mehra said in a recent interview. “I was overcome by a wave of emotion.”

“Bhaag Milkha Bhaag,” Hindi for “Run Milkha Run,” opens in cinemas Friday. The movie tries to look beyond “The Flying Sikh” sobriquet that has defined Mr. Singh for nearly half a century. His tale is both tragic and uplifting. After witnessing the murder of his family when he was 12 years old, Mr. Singh went on to become India’s greatest track athlete.

“Milkha Singh is a forgotten hero,” said Mr. Mehra in another interview with India Real Time in New York.

Here are edited excerpts from the interviews:

The Wall Street Journal: What inspired you to tell Milkha Singh’s story?

Mr. Mehra: I dig films out from my subconscious. Growing up, I was a sportsman of sorts – it’s how I was introduced to the legend of Milkha Singh. I chanced upon his autobiography in 2009. I soon went to see him in Chandigarh, where we spoke for two hours.

WSJ
: What did he say?

Mr. Mehra: He said to me, ‘Son, a lot people have come to me with big offers and huge numbers. But all I really want is to see a turnaround in sports in India. Can you help me do that?’ He went on to talk about his lost childhood. How, as a young boy of 12, just a few months before India’s independence in 1947, he witnessed the massacre of his entire family.

His passion for sport and the tragic tale of his childhood deeply moved me. I was in tears. To honor his words and in a bid to push sport in India, we decided to use profits from the film to set up a sporting foundation for Milkha Singh, one which helps train budding athletes.

WSJ:
What was the most challenging part of shooting the film?

Mr. Mehra: The film is set in an era when I wasn’t even born. So the toughest part of shooting a biopic was understanding how people would react to events that played out at the time.

Every time I was in doubt, I would close my eyes and think of how my mum would react. What would my mother do if she someone proposed her four decades ago? Would she scorn, blush, or simply vanish? How my characters respond in the film is based on my understanding of how my parents or relatives, who belonged to that era, would respond.

WSJ: It’s rumored you were searching for a lesser-known Bollywood actor to cast as Milkha Singh. How did Farhan Akhtar land the part?

Mr. Mehra: I think a small voice inside me screamed, ‘Milkha’ with Farhan. At a recent press conference in London, he confessed that within 10 minutes of me narrating the story to him, every bone in his body told him to say yes to the role. When I approached him, I didn’t say, ‘We’re making a movie and it’s going be a huge hit.’ I think my passion for the subject matter came through very naturally. I didn’t want to go for a very known face because I was afraid that if I did, audiences would just see their favorite actor and not Milkha Singh. I’m not condoning Bollywood’s dependence on big stars; it’s the nature of the beast. The economics of a film often work around a superstar. But the stories I tell don’t.
WSJ: Your movies, including ‘Aks,’ ‘Rang De Basanti’ and ‘Delhi-6’ are an eclectic mix, is there a genre you’re especially comfortable with?

Mr. Mehra: I don’t believe in being slotted in. Even terms like ‘out-of-the-box’ or ‘maverick’ feel like slots to me. I’ve always had a thirst for taking India to the world stage. Because the idea of India moves me a lot, it must show in my work. There’s nothing else; no rocket science and no agenda. But I can’t restrict myself to one particular genre.

I’d like to be associated with opening new doors for Indian cinema. We took Rang De Basanti to Australia, building a market and distribution system for Indian movies there. I’d love to do the same thing in South America someday. Bhaag Milkha Bhaag will be released in Pakistan on the same day it’s released in India. I’m hoping my film can contribute to the revival of cinema there. Did you know Milkha Singh was given his famous nickname “The Flying Sikh” by former Pakistani president General Ayub Khan?

WSJ: Has Milkha Singh seen “Bhaag Milkha Bhaag?”

Mr. Mehra: He saw it with me about three weeks ago. I can’t even begin to imagine what he felt. He squeezed my hand a couple of times while watching, you could see he was reliving some very dark memories. He didn’t even ask to see the script beforehand. I gave him a beginning, middle and end. He simply said, ‘You got it right.’

it got gud reviews.dying to see but cant see anytime soon as it hasnt released in our city (very few hindi movies tht too of big heroes get released here)

I saw it already, very slow movie and unnecessarily the movie has been stretched. It's a completely patriotic movie.
2 Pakistani Actors present... Meesha shafi and Art Malik.

After seeing the movie I understood why it's banned in Pakistan.

Indians are obsessed with Pakistan as usual and living in a fantasy where Indians get olympic gold :lol:

Indians are obsessed with Pakistan as usual and living in a fantasy where Indians get olympic gold :lol:

Now that's unnecessary! Nowhere in the movie something of that sort has been shown. Whatever shown is based on Milkha Singh's life and is present in net as well.

Bdw did u see the movie?

I saw it already, very slow movie and unnecessarily the movie has been stretched. It's a completely patriotic movie.
2 Pakistani Actors present... Meesha shafi and Art Malik.

After seeing the movie I understood why it's banned in Pakistan.
yeah! bro the movie was streatched too long!...else the movie was awesom........:D
but some scenes were damn funny.....do u remember th scene after partition....his jija g orders his siter....CHAL PAIR DBA......that as damn funny cuz in theatr..whenever milkha singh met any girls crowd started shouting CHAL PAIR DBA :rofl:

bhot mast movie hai.. watched it last nigt..... he was a true flyimg sikh

Why do you have to post something like this? It only leads to a flame thread. :hitwall:

he just try to derail/troll the threads... dont reply to any troll.. this will do the job... and if mods have some senses they will do the need full

Now that's unnecessary! Nowhere in the movie something of that sort has been shown. Whatever shown is based on Milkha Singh's life and is present in net as well.

Bdw did u see the movie?

bhot mast movie hai.. watched it last nigt..... he was a true flyimg sikh
there were many mitakes in movie.......of which 3 i remember
1...he went to pakistan in 1960 passing through bsf checkpost...but bsf was formed in 1965 :lol:
2...the model of bullet they show in 1960 he rides in pakistan...wasnt available at that tym....
3...hey hav shown pakistan wagah border gate that is present in 2013...but the fact is till 1960 the gate wasnt developed as such

there were many mitakes in movie.......of which 3 i remember
1...he went to pakistan in 1960 passing through bsf checkpost...but bsf was formed in 1965 :lol:
2...the model of bullet they show in 1960 he rides in pakistan...wasnt available at that tym....
3...hey hav shown pakistan wagah border gate that is present in 2013...but the fact is till 1960 the gate wasnt developed as such

its a movie dude... normal people cant understand these stuff of it its not show this way... we are into defence... hand off us... not everyone... even titanic had 17 mistakes. ... so?????? try to look brighter side... no offence

Back
Top Bottom