What's new

First ever International cricket match played at Srinagar

mr42O

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Srinagar, Nov. 29: A Srinagar court has acquitted 12 men who allegedly dug up the cricket stadium pitch 28 years ago to protest the Indian team’s presence in Kashmir.

The October 13, 1983, ODI against Clive Lloyd’s West Indies was the first international hosted at the Sher-e-Kashmir Stadium, months after India’s World Cup win in June the same year.

But from the pro-azaadi crowd’s cheering it would have seemed that Kapil Dev’s team was playing outside India. Every big hit by the West Indies batsmen was cheered as was every loss of an Indian wicket. Some in the crowd waved pictures of Pakistani players, and at least one report said that an apple was thrown at Dilip Vengsarkar.

The conduct of the spectators was criticised in the rest of the country. Cricket lovers who watched the match on television were in shock because the same Indian players had been feted elsewhere as heroes for winning the Cup.

Today, Srinagar district and sessions judge Kaneez Fatima absolved the 12 for “lack of evidence”. Two of the accused died while the trial was on.

The youths — some of whom became separatist leaders in later years — swarmed the pitch during the lunch break and tried to dig holes in the pitch. They were angry that India had hosted an international match in the “disputed region”. Before they could do too much damage, they were taken away by the police.

The incident — India was batting then — delayed the match. When it resumed, play was truncated because of bad light and a dust storm. Lloyd’s team, playing its first ODI on its tour of India that year, won by 28 runs when scores were compared after 22 overs. India had made 80, the guests 108.

The separatists count the day a milestone in their “azaadi struggle”.

At the time the pitch invasion happened, militancy was still six years away and Jammu and Kashmir was largely a peaceful state.

But this incident kept international cricket away from Kashmir for the next three years.

The second and the last time Kashmiris saw a match in their home ground was in 1986 — between India and Australia. This time, the state government put up elaborate security. After that the stadium ceased to be a venue mainly because of militancy.

Today, Shafqat Hussain, the counsel for the accused, said the 12 were acquitted as “no witness came forward for many years together”.

Showkat Bakshi, one of the acquitted, said he suffered immensely because of the case. “I was a kid then and we were simply protesting against holding the match here. I was arrested and put behind bars for four months initially and booked for waging a war against the country,” he said.

“For next six years I was continuously harassed, so much so that I picked up the gun,” said Bakshi, who became a top commander of the JKLF and spent more than 12 years in prison after his arrest in 1990.

Acquittal for 1983 pitch ‘diggers’

All Kashmiris who are pro India stay in J & K rest can move to Pakistan :)

Happy ending

time will tell.....
Kya ukhad loge be. As we say, 1.2 billion ghus gaye to bhagne ko bhi nahi milega. And dont give that 1 muslim = 10 Hindus shit. Tumhare liye to hamare 15 Crore muslims hi kaafi hain.

So dont give the same millenia old rant of TIME WILL TELL. Time will tell if Pakistan wud even exist. Ventilator pe ho aur Kushti mein jeetne ki baat karte ho. :D

Kya ukhad loge be. As we say, 1.2 billion ghus gaye to bhagne ko bhi nahi milega. And dont give that 1 muslim = 10 Hindus shit. Tumhare liye to hamare 15 Crore muslims hi kaafi hain.

So dont give the same millenia old rant of TIME WILL TELL. Time will tell if Pakistan wud even exist. Ventilator pe ho aur Kushti mein jeetne ki baat karte ho. :D

Talking about same Muslims who cant buy house in Mumbai ? Who are not in army ? Who was slaughtered by ur next PM ? or many many other episode which i wont take up since u have no shame

Or are we talking about same Muslims who support Pakistani team more than Pakistanis themselves ?

SO dont come up with that shit

Btw post is about first match played in occupied Pakistan area and what happened...

Talking about same Muslims who cant buy house in Mumbai ? Who are not in army ? Who was slaughtered by ur next PM ? or many many other episode which i wont take up since u have no shame

Or are we talking about same Muslims who support Pakistani team more than Pakistanis themselves ?

Btw post is about first match played in occupied Pakistan area and what happened...

50,000 Muslims have died in Pakistan in the last 10 years. Most of them were killed by Muslims themselves. In the same time frame not more than 50 Muslims have died in India in any communal violence. You seem to be more concerned about someone not getting a flat in Bandra. As always misplaced priorities. Spare us your BS about Indian Muslims.

Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aligarh Muslim University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google

yes Talking about the same Indian Muslims brothers:coffee:

Read about these things before spilling your ignorance about our brothers :coffee:

50,000 Muslims have died in Pakistan in the last 10 years. Most of them were killed by Muslims themselves. In the same time frame not more than 50 Muslims have died in India in any communal violence. You seem to be more concerned about someone not getting a flat in Bandra. As always misplaced priorities. Spare us your BS about Indian Muslims.

Are we talking about Indian muslims or Pakistani muslim ? I know u dont have answer so u change topic. only BS is ppl like u and now every one one what narrow minded indians are and clearly Kashmirs does not support india .....

Back
Top Bottom